downrigger rod line

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wondering what you guys use on your downrigger rods? I was thinking of using power pro with a 30ft fluorocarbon leader. Have been reading to just use 25 or 30 lb mono.

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use 20lb mono on mine. I've only used braid once, and had trouble with it slipping out of the release. My releases are pretty old though, i'm sure they make special releases for braided line.

I remember my dad saying they started out using 12lb for Sak salmon, but when they went to lake michigan for the first time they couldn't stop those bigger salmon's runs. They ended up switching to 20lb test and have used it ever since.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had 2 w/ 30# mono and 2 w/ 20# power pro just due to the smaller reel size and capacity issues, hated the power for release slips as well as mentioned, would slip even w/ herring alone. Sold those to a buddy and got larger reels, 20# mono on all 4 and love it.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
20 lb mono for 2 rods and 30 lb power pro on 2 rods. I. Only use the pp for trolling cranks due to the reasons mentioned by others above.

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the replies! I decided to go with 25lb Berkley big game. Read a few other forums and that seemed to be the most common stuff.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
why does a braid open the release easier than mono. i've only salmon fished once. but, the releases we used "clipped" close and then the weight of a bite would pull them open. my mind is having trouble comprehending why the braid would cause it to open easier than mono does?

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
why does a braid open the release easier than mono. i've only salmon fished once. but, the releases we used "clipped" close and then the weight of a bite would pull them open. my mind is having trouble comprehending why the braid would cause it to open easier than mono does?
braids are less friction, slippery, compared to mono, hence the difference in knot selection. Also the line diameter is a large factor, I've heard that 50# braids work but I'm not all that particularly found of them to begin with, price a few thousand feet of that out also helps my selection. I only use braid on my river trolling rods due to the logs, I particularly love untangling everyone's clipped off sections of braids connected to a .40 cent jig in the tailrace, the line cut off is worth more than the jig trying to be saved haha

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 34
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11