Driving to Alaska

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
The summer drive is wonderful. We did it with a 1T dually pickup with an 11' Lance truck camper in the box in 2014 and again in 2016. You will note that all roads into/out of Alaska go through Tok. It's 3000 miles from my driveway in south Moorhead to Tok. In '14, we drove through Banff, and Jasper, then took the Alcan to Tok. The Alcan is rough in early summer from Destruction Bay to Beaver Creek, YT. We southerners think of frost heaves, but this is sunken road surfaces due to melting permafrost under the road bed.
I found that 300 miles/day was comfortable, but I'm old and do all the driving.

Last edited:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
The summer drive is wonderful. We did it with a 1T dually pickup with an 11' Lance truck camper in the box in 2014 and again in 2016. You will note that all roads into/out of Alaska go through Tok. It's 3000 miles from my driveway in south Moorhead to Tok. In '14, we drove through Banff, and Jasper, then took the Alcan to Tok. The Alcan is rough in early summer from Destruction Bay to Beaver Creek, YT. We southerners think of frost heaves, but this is sunken road surfaces due to melting permafrost under the road bed.
I found that 300 miles/day was comfortable, but I'm old and do all the driving.

Thanks for the info.. We would be splitting driving duty with stops for fuel only. If we could only manage 300 miles driving a day we will be flying. I have a brother in law in Fairbanks(for a few more months until moving back east) and an Uncle in law in Seward so will be researching with them if the Tok-Anchorage road is doable in Feb/March.

stever58

my brother and I fished out of Petersburg for a week, we found the cheapest way to do was to drive to billings and fly out with
Alaska air, the air fare was half price of flying out of bismarck

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 151
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55