Driving to Alaska

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why would I drive to Fairbanks to get to Anchorage Dean? Think you need to go back to map reading class. :::

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My uncle did it in 2001 when he moved up there. He told me he would burn all his shit and fly back if he would ever move back. He did it in March worst idea he ever had his wife flew up there and he got a big I told you so. Summer/ fall would be fun to see the changes going north

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thursday the 1st until thursday the 8th from fargo is about 800 plus fees round trip going out on delta and back on united. A bit more if u stay thru or until the next weekend. Will save u a minimum of 72 hours travel time over the course of the trip and probably only cost you at most an extra grand between the two of you. Probably less. Could even save an extra day vacation by flying. This one is a no brainer for me. I would fly, get out there and spend more quality time in one place together. I have a buddy that drove out there in the summer. They broke it up a bit. But, it still sounded like a miserable 72 hours each way.

Last edited:

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with the others who say fly to Alaska during that time of year. Save your long driving adventure for Hawaii in like May or June.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have flown to Alaska many times when my brother lived there for about 45 years. Never once had a flight delay but did have fog one time coming into Anchorage and had to land at the air base and they bused us over to the airport. Never drove it but would be nice in "the summer".
Last time i flew up there was like 10-15 years ago though.

- - - Updated - - -

Just don't fly United unless you want to get beat up and arrested. :;:muahaha

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You only live once Roosters! I say go for, just plan accordingly and have all the necessary gear in case you get stranded or stuck in a snow bank. It would be a badass adventure for sure.

All of you guys saying fly, you obviously haven't seen The Grey.... Only way I'd fly is if Liam Neeson is on the flight with me.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
NOW that answers the question I asked! I wasn't asking whether to fly or drive. I was asking if anyone as driven it during the winter and how long it took. Bunch of Nancy's.
haha Now..Anybody traveled it lately have any input?
Anyone else been on flights with delays and cancellations and being stuck in an airport that you didn't care to be in, throw up your hands and say...frick..I could have driven there faster? But beyond that, I think the experience would be awesome. Life is a journey,

I would do it again with someone. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking in the winter. Very little traffic making me think I had the road to myself. A surbban would be perfect allowing you to sleep in the back if needed. I had a 1984 Toyota SR5 extended cab. Back then I could easily sleep while sitting in the seat. Saw a lot of moose, wolves, and a few lynx.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
If we end up driving, I feel fairly confident in either of the units we may take as far as durability, either take my(well wife's) 2012 Toyota Rav4 or my brothers 2010 Honda Crv. Take 8 hr driving shifts. 3 shifts each we SHOULD be darn near there. haha Once there, explore helping volunteer for the Iditarod in some capacity as they always need volunteers. Would be fun to rent a snow machine(that's what they call them up there) and either follow along the trail or ahead of the dog teams.
Dang..9 months away..time to start planning..haha

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lived in AK for 5 years,drove the stretch many times,would never travel the alcan or the cassiar hwy in winter,once you get into the territories/yukon the roads are horrible mostly due to permafrost heaving not to mention very little road maintainence from the canadians and if shit happens with the vehicle that gotcha by the short hairs,pay or walk.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe I lucked out, several of us PCS'd and drove out of there in the winter at different times. We all made it out alive as far as I know. I did have studded snow tires which made a difference. I would not recommend if your goal is to have a fast trip. Each their own, it ain't for everybody

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Driving that stretch in summer or winter would be very scenic. Personally, I'd save the drive for the summer time when there is less risk of getting caught in a major blizzard. Your 48 hour drive could easily turn into 2 weeks if they get some bad weather. I've heard those roads aren't maintained all that well either.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why would I drive to Fairbanks to get to Anchorage Dean? Think you need to go back to map reading class. :::
You said you want Alcan and she goes into Fairbanks before turning south. There is a small cut across road from tok but not sure how well that one is kept up during winter.

20170606_115946.jpg

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
there would be no way in hell I would drive to Alaska in February. lol

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
More power too you, wish I was brave enough or had the resources for a bit of adventuring. Maybe you could do some sort of live documentation of your trip to inspire others to seek the edge of life...

Coldfront

Established Member
Only drove it once in late May of 2015. It was the enjoyable drive I have ever done all 8500 miles. Driving up again in June 2018. In 2015 we couldn't get to Inuvek, NWT but they have built a road to Tuk, NWT this used to be the ice road which is going to open in August of this year. One will be able to drive all the way to the Arctic Ocean. OK some will ask why I don't why it is just beautiful and it gets to a person. There is a book called Milepost spend thirty bucks or so and get it. With it you get access to Tour Guide which is a download for your cell phone. Once you down load the road maps you use your cell phone as a GPS tracker. You don't need cell towers to make it work it all GPS based but you do have to keep your phone plugged in because it uses power. I had rented a GPS phone in case of trouble but next time I will use something like SpotLock.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
back in the day I bought the mile post book. Extremely helpful even then.

campcook

Founding Member
Founding Member
No one mentioned sharing the road with the truckers, they don't like to share and you definitely don't want to meet one on a curve. I only drove it once (1968) but have flown into Anchorage and Sitka a couple dozen times. When in Anchorage I found "Rent A Wreck" to be a relatively inexpensive car rental and never had an issue with the vehicle.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good point camp...Trucks,semi's hog the alcan spring summer and fall trowing up big ass rocks and such,not sure how much semi traffic there is in the winter? I've seen folks jerry rig 2x4's bolted to front bumpers with chicken wire to protect the grill/radiator and windshield.We always opted to take the cassier hwy#37 I think from baniff to avoid the semi's plus its a very scenic drive and fly fishing along the way is supurb summer months.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 101
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18