Dumpin the Dip!!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No one who has quit will ever say it's easy. It's not, it's very difficult. No matter the method it does come down to wanting to quit and doing what is necessary to achieve that goal. The first time I went to an alternative chew. Got to the point where that began to taste more like diesel fuel that a good dip of Copenhagen. By then the nicotine desire was gone so I stopped for about 5 years. Stupidity is what caused me to start again.

This time it was just a decision that I made and was going to be damned if I let it beat me. Completely over the desire now and am determined that I won't fall into the trap of "One dip isn't going to harm me." It's like eating one and only one potato chip. You might get by for awhile with only one chip but it won't be long and you are going to be digging in the bag again.

Once you quit the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Better health is a given, you can talk up close to people without smelling like a chewer, Virtually eliminate the risk of oral cancer, tobacco use also increases the risk of heart disease. Don't know the current cost, but when I quit it was about $3-4/box, at 2-3 boxes/week that adds up to $350-$600/year. Won't pay for a out-of-state big game hunt but will certainly allow you to buy something for your outdoor adventures. Mostly it might allow you to live longer to keep enjoying you outdoor activities.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm on week two, but have the gum to keep me from freaking out if things get stressful.

CravenFish

An old timer told me you just have to f'n do it, just f'n do it! (Quit) so I did lol. I leaned on nicorette pretty hard too. If I wanted to dip then I just kept telling myself that nicorette is all I get. Eventually I just kinda forgot about nicorette too. It's been 11 months now!

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been done since march 23 2016, 2 days before my son was born. I used about a can a day. I handed my wife what was left of my roll and said get rid of it. I had the gum, used for about a week made the cravings worse. I was a horrible person to be around for about 2 months, but that has gotten alot better. There are some days I still think about it. If someone mentions chew my mouth still salivates and Ive gained about 20lbs, and chew on plastic straws like they are going out of style but I did quit and have little desire to start again.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was haunted for years by wanting to chew - after quitting a decades long habit.

It dawned on me just the other day I don't want to chew anymore - NOT ONE BIT. Wha?.....

Praise the Lord - that feels good.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm not saying I wouldn't like the taste of a chew after over a year without. For me the physical need is gone so I don't think about it hardly ever. Because I know how easy it is to start again I just refuse to give in and realize the thought that "one little chew" isn't going to hurt is a total lie. For me it would lead to starting again. I go for days and weeks without thinking about a chew and am not willing to go back to old habits. Quitting isn't easy but it can be done with enough perseverance. Good luck to all who are thinking about quitting.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been smoke free since June. But if they came out and said there was absolutely no ill effects to smoking, I'd have a pack in hand as fast as I could get to the gas station.

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been smoke free since June. But if they came out and said there was absolutely no ill effects to smoking, I'd have a pack in hand as fast as I could get to the gas station.

Ha I say the same thing about chewing, Id have a roll bought in the next 5 min!

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been doing pretty good. I have bummed a couple dips when heavily intoxicated while out with a buddy a couple times, other than that been chewing a lot of gum. I do find it's almost getting tougher as time goes on, it's not the chemical craving it's the mental aspect that has been the toughest for me. A lot of crap going on in life that would make going back to chewing an easy excuse but I won't give in, not after going this long. Quit date is May 14 2016. Put on some weight as well, so now to work on getting rid of that, which will be rather challenging in itself.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pulled a good one on my boys ,they are 11 months apart and when they were 10 or 11 years old we were at the gun club and a buddy took a chew of those packets , what ever they are , It was mint flavor I think. Anyway he offered my boys some just for a joke and my boys looked at each other then they looked at me and one of them asked Dad can we ? I said sure , But under these conditions . There was a power pole about 40-50 yards away and I told them they had to race around that pole and back and they couldn't spit till I said it was ok .

We shook on the deal and I let them stand around and feel like bigshots for a couple minutes and then we had the race , When they got back they were winded and I could tell they weren't liking the snoose , Soon they were pale and bent over begging to spit but I held them hostage of the bargain for probably another minute or so before I said ok , They spit it out and they were both sick. Both threw up if I remember right. It had kind of slipped my mind till this thread , I need to ask them about it now that they are adults and find out if either ever took another chew or smoked a cigarette / cigar . I'd do it again to my grandkids in a heartbeat Tough Love.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha my dad did kinda the same thing. He chewed Copenhagen and we were hunting neither him probably 16 years old or so. He was taking a chew and must t have saw us look at him and asked if we wanted bone. Being big tough guys we said sure and each threw one in. Well I go to roll the window down on the pickup and he asked what I was doing. Well I am going to spit out the window. Nope you want to be a man you swallow it well in the next mile we were both outside puking while he held that can right next to us. For about the next 10 years just the smell would get me. The worst thing was they came out with all these candy ass flavors .

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was one who thought if it were OK I would start again. Now I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. I'm pretty much over any craving and the benefits for me far outweigh any small enjoyment I would now get that I no longer have the desire. It's just not a habit that I would see any benefit. Takes awhile but the desire has left. Maybe it's the fact that I had to quit twice. The second time I was pissed at myself for making me go through that again. Won't say "Never again" as never is a long time but it would take quite a bit for me to start again.

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wanted to bring this back to the top. Over year since I had my last one. Hows everyone else doing? I think if they said chewing was not bad for your health I would go by a roll at lunch though!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
still have not had one since feb of 2016. I will say it takes all i got still to not want to grab a dip when every one is whipping out the Copenhagen cans

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Keep plugging away guys. It does get easier. When you get to the point that your not sure how long it's been since you quit, you just might be over the hump!! Great to hear the good news from some. How are the rest of the guys doing? Slipping up is ok as long as you stay the course for the long haul. Keep fighting the good fight!!

Fish On!

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I quit smoking once a bunch of times. It's never easy, and it only takes one mental slip to start again. I'd do great during the week, but once the weekend rolled around, I'd always find some excuse to buy a pack. Come Sunday, I'd quit again. That only lasted a few months, and now I'm back at it regularly again. I need to throw them out once and for all. I think tonight is the night, regardless of all the excuses I keep trying to come up with.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
still cope free since last july 22nd when i was diagnosed with colorectal cancer. Back to work full time now and it was very tuff when i went back to work. I have been chewing grinds now, usually only one a day. Keep up the fight boys!!!

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wanted to bring this thread back to the top quit 3 days before my son was born. He will be 2 the end of March. Some days it still takes all my will power to not give in, but the little guy makes it worth it.
IMG_2734.jpg

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wanted to bring this thread back to the top quit 3 days before my son was born. He will be 2 the end of March. Some days it still takes all my will power to not give in, but the little guy makes it worth it.
976EDCED-9DF6-4672-BBF9-188E5713CB8B.jpg

congrats on sticking with it. That’s some great motivation.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 117
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 46