Early goose

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I grew up eating duck and goose it is my favorite wild game meat by far. A crock pot veggies filled with goose breast and I will eat like a king

Did not grow up on it, but is my favorite. Grilled, sauted, crock pot, jerky, summer sausage.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lived off wild game through college, mostly waterfowl.

Duck is still one of my favorite meals.

But after ODing on goose sloppy Joe's, I can barely stand the smell of raw goose flesh any more. Jerky or something heavily diluted with other more desirable meat for this guy.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why do you refreeze to make your jerky

because i am a middle class working american who is a father of 3 kids and doesnt always have time to do it asap.
i grind it freeze it in 2.5# or 5# batches and pick and choose as i go what i want to do.Thumbs Up

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
because i am a middle class working american who is a father of 3 kids and doesnt always have time to do it asap.
i grind it freeze it in 2.5# or 5# batches and pick and choose as i go what i want to do.Thumbs Up
I was poking fun of you using unthaw. when thaw mean to defrost. unthaw would mean to freeze.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can always slice it and Jerky it. Take it to westside and have them grind it into jerky is ok too

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was poking fun of you using unthaw. when thaw mean to defrost. unthaw would mean to freeze.

hahaha never even thought about that before. that went right over my head......ive had a quite long day i better go home and have a beer or 3

here i was trying to pick an internet tough guy fight with you:D

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's like my hillbilly friend Rob always says, irregardless... haha he is a moron too

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My mom had a goose recipe that has it end up almost like pulled pork and doesn't taste like goose. If I wanted to get up early, set up decoys, sit around in a blind for a few hours whilst shivering, I'd make it like that. The intensity of the situation is addicting as soon as you can hear those wings at close distance. I give you guys that. But I need another hobby about as much as another hole in the head.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
My last grandma is in a nursing home and still won't reveal recipes. This is sad indeed. Most have been figured out with observation by helping her in the kitchen. Not her wine. That stuff could make me a millionaire. We (to the best of my knowledge) have the grapes which I'm told came from Naples with Great Grandma after WW I.

Fun Fact: Great Granddad loved spring as he could have robins for supper.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
oh a side note I went out about 80-90 miles from Bismarck last evening into central ND and saw 2 MN trucks and a ND truck scouting....weird I couldn't find a feed over 40 unless you count the one of 150 gorging out on barley 3 ft from the water. hope one of my buddies fields pan out or this guy gonna rip lips tomorrow instead.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
oh a side note I went out about 80-90 miles from Bismarck last evening into central ND and saw 2 MN trucks and a ND truck scouting....weird I couldn't find a feed over 40 unless you count the one of 150 gorging out on barley 3 ft from the water. hope one of my buddies fields pan out or this guy gonna rip lips tomorrow instead.
funny u say that. i just got a text from a guy i know who married a gal from nd and now lives in mn. he said he thinks they should go back to residents only because the birds arent so educated when they come over to hunt in oct. apparently he has been hunting all week and said its some of the tougher hunting hes ever had. nr"s everywhere, including himself.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
So...I tasted goose once. Then spit it out once. Is it actually possible to treat it like beef? What about sharptail?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
dean, no contribution to the thread. figured you would have some fields lined up?you must be enjoying fishing like the rest of us or have a doozy of a field lined u for opening day?#$%^&>;)- - - Updated - - -trip you as well nothing from you diehards? Thumbs Up
Nope knew I was going to be down here in CO most of the first week. Combine that with less then zero ambition to get after them especially the first two weeks of season before the molts come back and it equals zero scouting sofar unless you count the couple hundred that are and or were feeding on south Washington south of our lake. Bastards are Uber tame and let me boat within ten yards with little care.

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Coming back from Bismarck yesterday, around 6:30 between Max, and Minot a guy had jumped a slough along 83. This slough was 1/3 in the ditch of the highway, and when I went by he was using a 2x4 to fish geese out of the water in the ditch. Isn't there a law about shooting that close to a highway\road?:;:huh Don't say non resident as he had ND plates.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11