Elk Bulls

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
The smaller of the two bulls was taken. The fellow had been hunting out west but recently broke his leg. (Bad) Had an air cast and rods. Took the shot at dusk from a wheelchair.

He isn't in this picture because he was laying in the pickup. The guy operating the sawzall is his son, the other two on the left volunteered to help.

Don't have many details, I wasn't there. There is a rail above the critter and they pushed him into the cooler.

The fellow had surgery the next morning. His son is coming out over the weekend to process.

One of the volunteers told me the hunter was one tough bugger. His leg was beat red and looked very painful.
IMG_0543.jpg

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my very first post on this thread I mentioned have one spike and two 2 year olds around. The spike hung out in a different drainage from the other two. He didn't much care to be around two bigger guys full rut.

Haven't see him for a while but now that the two bigger bulls are gone, there he is.

Just a spike, but his body looks healthy.

Griz

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my very first post on this thread I mentioned have one spike and two 2 year olds around. The spike hung out in a different drainage from the other two. He didn't much care to be around two bigger guys full rut.

Haven't see him for a while but now that the two bigger bulls are gone, there he is.

Just a spike, but his body looks healthy.
I’m curious if there are any cows around .
I know of 2 people with cow licenses

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
14 satellite bulls in the last ten years. Never not once a cow. They don't travel from the herd.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its weird you say that as I had a rag horn bull show up northwest of Bismarck for most of August and September. Then about 2 weeks after the bull showed up a cow showed up. As of last week she still was coming in randomly. Haven’t seen the bull in 2-3 weeks now but she stayed.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
The elk herd must be growing in the State because there are more and more outside of the badlands.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you give a layman's synopsis please?

There are so many numbers involved that a synopsis would be almost as complicated as the whole read. In general , they put GPS transmitters on 15 cows and monitored thier activity and home range area and spent a lot of money doing it and learned what the locals had known for years. I know most of the people up around there and some of the farmers/ranchers have been eaten out house and home for quite a few years.

Aerial counts in the Turtle Mountain area yielded approximately 62 elk on the U.S. side of the border [33] and subsequently 190 elk when cross-border counts were conducted [34]. These surveys, and incidental reports of small groups of elk outside the home ranges of collared elk reported elsewhere [33], suggested that there were multiple herds of elk in the Turtle Mountain area. As large herd animals, even modest-sized elk herds can cause localized depredation problems [9], particularly when they cross political jurisdictions lines such as international and reservation borders.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are so many numbers involved that a synopsis would be almost as complicated as the whole read. In general , they put GPS transmitters on 15 cows and monitored thier activity and home range area and spent a lot of money doing it and learned what the locals had known for years. I know most of the people up around there and some of the farmers/ranchers have been eaten out house and home for quite a few years.

Aerial counts in the Turtle Mountain area yielded approximately 62 elk on the U.S. side of the border [33] and subsequently 190 elk when cross-border counts were conducted [34]. These surveys, and incidental reports of small groups of elk outside the home ranges of collared elk reported elsewhere [33], suggested that there were multiple herds of elk in the Turtle Mountain area. As large herd animals, even modest-sized elk herds can cause localized depredation problems [9], particularly when they cross political jurisdictions lines such as international and reservation borders.
Thank you! Validation for DB indeed.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75