Elk Rifle

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
300 win gets my vote. Dropped mine at 565 yards last season. If I can't put one down with the bow in September, I'll be back out with the 300 again. Regardless of which caliber you choose, get to know the gun. The increase in elevation will have a big impact on the trajectory of the bullet. I would recommend shooting the gun when you arrive at camp.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 6.5 creedmoor will be going to Idaho with me 140 amax or 143 eld will kill if given a chance

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have friends and various relatives that have killed elk with 270 win, 30-06, 7mm Mag, and 300 Win Mag. I have yet to go however bought a rifle (300 Win Mag) and have been working with it to get very comfortable with it should i finally get out to try my hand at an elk. I think that any reasonably decent big game caliber will work its all about placement. An old timer that i listen to quite a bit said that any caliber will work however a big hole is nice.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 6.5 creedmoor will be going to Idaho with me 140 amax or 143 eld will kill if given a chance

ill be curious how those amax perform on a big elk. I know you know what you're doing, but id want something hardier.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
416 barret would be my choice just because I want one. On second thought I'd rather carry the 270 I have or maybe buy a 300 win mag. Somehow carrying a 416 barret any distance over even flat terrain just doesn't sound appealing.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
ill be curious how those amax perform on a big elk. I know you know what you're doing, but id want something hardier.

Me too. I think I've shot 7 or 8 deer with the A-max (7mm 162gr). The results definitely depend on shot placement. None of the deer have lived to give me their 2 cents. Hmm......

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

Me too. I think I've shot 7 or 8 deer with the A-max (7mm 162gr). The results definitely depend on shot placement. None of the deer have lived to give me their 2 cents. Hmm......

It depends if i get all the 140 shot i will use the 143 eld-x. With the sectional density of the 6.5 and results friends have had on elk i am more worried about finding one than how the bullet will perform. My rifle is right around 12 pounds and shooting little bullets so i am pretty much going against conventional wisdom but i am confident when i pull the trigger on that thing stuff dies. I have yet to find a bullet on any of the deer i have shot (not really a fair comparison) even the muley at 587 this year and busted the off shoulder. Hitting the shoulder at 50 yards is a worry but i guess i will tackle that if the situation should arise.

- - - Updated - - -

If i was buying a new rifle i shot a freinds 7 stw and it was rather enjoyable or maybe a 28 nosler or i would stick to the 6.5 and go saum 1000 ft lbs at 1000 yds and under 10 mills with the 140 is very interesting

Walleye Slayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have personally shot 2 elk with a 270 and 3 with the 300wsm. After the first two I was not happy with how the 270 performed. I went and bought the 300wsm and will never look back. Like someone said above a big hole is nice and planting them in there tracks is even nicer. If you choose a lighter caliber you also better follow the rule of shooting until they are off their feet. If he/she is still standing shoot again. There is nothing worse than making a good shot with a lighter caliber and watching them run off to die in the nastiest place they can find.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have personally shot 2 elk with a 270 and 3 with the 300wsm. After the first two I was not happy with how the 270 performed. I went and bought the 300wsm and will never look back. Like someone said above a big hole is nice and planting them in there tracks is even nicer. If you choose a lighter caliber you also better follow the rule of shooting until they are off their feet. If he/she is still standing shoot again. There is nothing worse than making a good shot with a lighter caliber and watching them run off to die in the nastiest place they can find.

This i agree with. Also another reason i am using the rifle i am spotting hits through the scope is second nature along with follow up shots due to practicing for comps and shooting in them

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would depend on the hunting conditions. Three very respected gun editors chose three very different "ideal" cartridges for elk. Elmer Keith, an Idaho rancher and "dean of the gun writers" in his day claimed the 45-70 was ideal. But he did most of his elk hunting while providing a railroad construction crew with meat in the early 1900's. Lots of elk, few hunters. His rival, Jack O'Conner, claimed the 270 Win was perfect. However, he lived in northern AZ and had the time to pick and chose his shots. More recently Jim Carmichel (If you don't own his Book of the Rifle, get a copy.) picked the 338WM because he didn't have the luxury of time and thought the 338 would kill an elk from any angle, even at a distance.
Your best bet is contacting your guide. He'll likely tell you that a 30-06 or 270 works best if you are comfortable with the recoil and it's an old familiar rifle.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would depend on the hunting conditions. Three very respected gun editors chose three very different "ideal" cartridges for elk. Elmer Keith, an Idaho rancher and "dean of the gun writers" in his day claimed the 45-70 was ideal. But he did most of his elk hunting while providing a railroad construction crew with meat in the early 1900's. Lots of elk, few hunters. His rival, Jack O'Conner, claimed the 270 Win was perfect. However, he lived in northern AZ and had the time to pick and chose his shots. More recently Jim Carmichel (If you don't own his Book of the Rifle, get a copy.) picked the 338WM because he didn't have the luxury of time and thought the 338 would kill an elk from any angle, even at a distance.
Your best bet is contacting your guide. He'll likely tell you that a 30-06 or 270 works best if you are comfortable with the recoil and it's an old familiar rifle.

Thats what I did asked the guide (me) and he said roll with the Creed.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would probably go with the .300 win mag because your options of factory ammo and rifles is probably as great as for any other caliber. However, I would be very tempted to look at the new 30 Nosler. What I've read is impressive but factory ammo is hard to come by and there aren't many rifles chambered for it yet but ballistically it looks really good.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Archery...Now we're talkin!

FB_IMG_1459301862348.jpg

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
My next gun will be one that shoots bullets.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88