Evinrude G2 250 HO going on my pontoon!

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sorry Rizzo, we'll have to agree to disagree. My comment was toward getting 3 mpg at 60 mph on a Ranger 620 with a 250 hp motor, not a 300hp since they aren't rated for that, you might as well quit bringing that one up. It was never part of my comment.

An Optimax Pro XS is 275hp just like the G2 250HO. I've seen it on on a 209tfx more than once (a 20ft boat as you imply not being apples to apples) and have witnessed it on both of my big block Optimax's. A 250 will run at around 21-22.5 gph at WOT on the smartcraft gauges and will push that boat into the the low to mid 60s confirmed by GPS. Sorry, that's not a guess, that's live data from the ecu and the gps. On my own rigs, I run between 19-20 GPH at WOT with live info on the smart-craft gauges. The smartcraft speedo on my current rig is also tied to my GPS so I actually get live mpg readings. Both my old 1895 Storm and my new rig will run between 58-60 mph by GPS. To be perfectly honest, my current 200 and my old 225 run identical for fuel usage throughout the rpm range and both boats ran almost the identical speed per rpms. Per the fuel usage of my smartcraft gauges, it's normally within a gallon of total fuel usage when I fill up. Sorry, but 3mpg at WOT just isn't an impressive number. It's been done in this relm for almost 15 years.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both my 2006 225 Opti on a Yar-craft 1895 Storm & my current 2013 200 Opti on a Yar-Craft 186 will both do right on 3 mpg at WOT. In both cases, the motors both use +-20 gph at WOT and both boats will flirt with 60 mph. By my math, that equates to 3 mpg.[/QUOTE]

I will attest that 186 can fly with a 200. Fished the Indian Hills Tournament a couple years ago, After 6 miles 4 boats were in the lead A Lund gl with a 350, a couple 20’ers with 250’s and fourth was the 186 with a 200 V Rod. That thing was going near 60. Has to be the one of the fastest 18 1/2 foot, deep v boats out there

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Black is fast
White is a workhorse
neither make any better mileage (boat mileage sucks), #fastboatsifyoufishedtournamentsdownsouthyouwouldbelaughedatyouputafractionofhoursmilesonyourboats, i will take a white through the pelly pass vs black, if used one to pull - it would be white, if i was a racer it be black, if i used it for work - it will be white.

EOS

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry Rizzo, we'll have to agree to disagree. My comment was toward getting 3 mpg at 60 mph on a Ranger 620 with a 250 hp motor, not a 300hp since they aren't rated for that, you might as well quit bringing that one up. It was never part of my comment.

An Optimax Pro XS is 275hp just like the G2 250HO. I've seen it on on a 209tfx more than once (a 20ft boat as you imply not being apples to apples) and have witnessed it on both of my big block Optimax's. A 250 will run at around 21-22.5 gph at WOT on the smartcraft gauges and will push that boat into the the low to mid 60s confirmed by GPS. Sorry, that's not a guess, that's live data from the ecu and the gps. On my own rigs, I run between 19-20 GPH at WOT with live info on the smart-craft gauges. The smartcraft speedo on my current rig is also tied to my GPS so I actually get live mpg readings. Both my old 1895 Storm and my new rig will run between 58-60 mph by GPS. To be perfectly honest, my current 200 and my old 225 run identical for fuel usage throughout the rpm range and both boats ran almost the identical speed per rpms. Per the fuel usage of my smartcraft gauges, it's normally within a gallon of total fuel usage when I fill up. Sorry, but 3mpg at WOT just isn't an impressive number. It's been done in this relm for almost 15 years.

Hard numbers please and I dont care how fast the boat goes, its irrelevant. Distance x fuel burned = mpg/gph. Type it out or your claims are invalid. Its not my gauge says this and my boat goes this fast so this is my fuel usage. I gave you hard numbers off my 300. That was gps miles traveled by gallons of fuel to get the tank full. Again quit using a 200 and 225 for comparison. Believe what you want from your gauges on usage but a meaured amount is the correct way.

Im not trying to take anything away from your boats at all. I have no doubts about their quality or speed. Just asked for some numbers to back up your claim.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a 60hp and i burned like 3gph at 18 mph and if the wind was blowing i had to turn my hat backwards

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 200HP G2 is the same as the 300HP G2. The 250HO G2 is 275HP.

They are not exactly the same, there are slight differences in the blocks and differences in porting from my research. Heck even looking at the spec sheets the G2 250 Ho is 15 lbs heavier than the standard 250 G2 but i have not been able to find out where the extra weight comes from yet, still trying to find that info. I have read that guys are doing different tunes on 200 G2 to up them to 250 hp though.

I can say I can't remember if the biggest differences were between the HO blocks to standard blocks or from the 200-250-300 hp engines. Will have to find where i found this nugget of info. Been looking and reading for months lol.

Last edited:

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are the same block. The difference in weight that you saw was the 250 is listed as heavier than the HO due to the 250 not having a 20 inch shaft

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Rizzo, What part of math don't you understand? It's calculated the same way. I'm relying on the Engines ECU which is providing extremely precise pulses of fuel to the injectors. I could even argue mine is more accurate than yours. Much as I already mentioned, my total gallons used shown on the smart craft gauges is normally within 1 gallon of actual usage for any given trip when I fill and I always fill at the same spot so the attitude of the boat is the same.

So you fill one day and you milk another gallon or two into it because it's a tourney day and you need every drop and the next day the handle clicks off because it burps, and your get a 3 gallon swing; or your boat is sitting at a different angle at the 1st station versus the 2nd; are you crawling down and making sure there's no air trapped inside your tank each time your fill. I mean seriously, if even if I was off by .1 or .2 mpg, it's as accurate as any other arm chair method being used, including yours. Your talking that you used X gallons to go X miles to get your magic 3.1mpg number at WOT. Are you telling me you didn't idle that engine at all, run at or below just above idle speed to load, unload, get out of the bay, warm up the engine etc. Apparently, it was hammer down from the time the key was turned on. Give me a fricken break. Or does this come down to your Etec gauge package not having an accurate method to monitor the vitals and fuel usage? I can't hardly believe that in this day and time but I haven't been in a G2 powered boat so I can't say one way or the other.

What I will give you, I probably won't ever provide a WOT fuel mileage for going x distance for x miles as I just don't feel the need to beat my boat like that, at least for any substantial distance. At most, I might air it out fully for 5-10 miles and then I'm usually backed down to something more leisurely and easier on the equipment. I'm not gonna beat my head against the wall any long on this, I've already wasted more breath than it's worth so go ahead an fire your daggers.

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK have the spec book in my hand and there are Two different 200 G2 models, one is the regular "non HO" 200 which is the same block as the 175-and both 150 & 150 HO which is a 66* block. 2.7L V6

the 200 HO - 250 - 250 HO and 300 G2 engines have 74* blocks. 3.4L V6

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11