Favorite BBQ Sauce

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
johnr, try putting apple juice on them. I have applied during marinating phase or when wrapped in tinfoil. Juice really breaks down the fibers in meat to make them tender

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I do ribs I do a heavy smoke for 3 hrs or so then wrap in foil with some apple juice. Then cook in oven at 200 for another 4 hrs.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sweet baby ray's is my favorite.

Here's another excellent choice for pulled pork:
http://haks.com/shop/haks-smoked-maple-mustard/

Bought some Hak's somewhere in Fargo (can't remember where). Haven't seen it since. Will be ordering some online soon.

As for ribs, some use the 3-2-1 method. Some just leave unwrapped, but use the same times. Boneless ribs will be different though. Not usually as much fat, so will take longer to get tender. I'd smoke 3 hours, wrap in tinfoil with apple juice for 3 hours, unwrap and smoke for another hour.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
johnr, try putting apple juice on them. I have applied during marinating phase or when wrapped in tinfoil. Juice really breaks down the fibers in meat to make them tender

I always do this. Gives good flavor too.

Here is how I do my ribs (simple 3-2-1). Remove thin membrane on the back side of the rack. Rub with olive oil, brown sugar, S&P and some pork seasoning I get at Sam's Club. Wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate for a min of 4 hours. I usually do it overnight. Fire up the smoker to 225°. Fill the water pan 50/50 w/ apple juice and water. I usually use apple wood but if i don't have any at the time I just use hickory. It seems like I have an endless supply of that for some reason. Then I go 3 hours full smoke (2-2.5 hours if I'm only doing 1 rack). About 1 1/2 hr in I baste with apple juice. After 3 hours I baste them again with apple juice and wrap them in foil, adding some more juice to the foil package. Back in the smoker for 2 hours they go. After 2 hours wrapped I remove them from the foil and baste with bbq sauce and back in the smoker for 1 hour with more smoke. Let sit for 10-15 minutes and then eat until the food coma sets in.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
When wrapping i use a liberal amount of butter and brown sugar. I mist the ribs with apple juice every 30 minutes during the initail smoking process.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
agreed baby ray is excellent,also K.C. and Wee Willey is also very good impo.

Journey

Founding Member
Founding Member
My attempt at derailing a thread. Haha
what type of rib does everybody use?
i prefer baby back. Tried st Luis this weekend but seem greasy, more fat in meat.

Got out a smoker at Christmas and having a blast with it

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
When wrapping i use a liberal amount of butter and brown sugar. I mist the ribs with apple juice every 30 minutes during the initail smoking process.

Yes I use apple vinegar, it doesn't effect the taste of the meat at all, but helps to break down the membrane and usually makes it way tender. I will do like suggested and finish differently. I am getting the great smoke flavor, just coming out tough as a $3.00 steak.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the membrane on ribs. Is that weird? Many remove it.

Discuss.

Best part, especially if crispy. I can get a full meal off my wife's plate when we eat anything with a bone. Pork chop, t bone, ribs, wings etc.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try hot sauce on the pulled pork. I like the simple Lousiana hot sauce. ~$1/bottle.
Chokecherry BBQ sauce from The Ranch in Devils Lake is excellent.
I don't remove the membrane. Don't feel I need to.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in KC right now for the week for work training. I will definitely be giving Jack Stack a go. I have heard nothing but good things about the place so I can't wait.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in KC right now for the week for work training. I will definitely be giving Jack Stack a go. I have heard nothing but good things about the place so I can't wait.

there is another place i cant remember the name that was excellent i will ask my dad what it is

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
there is another place i cant remember the name that was excellent i will ask my dad what it is

That'd be great. I'm definitely not against eating good BBQ for dinner every night until I leave Friday.

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made a great pork butt today in the smoker. Just as I was getting it done I ran up to the grocery store to pick up some BBQ sauce only to find out they were sold out of the only kind I have really liked. I picked up a couple different flavors of famous daves. Both of them sucked so bad I ate my food without. I am a big fan sweet baby rays. I'm thinking about trying to make a homemade batch if I can't find another kind that I like.

If Im doing a pork roast for a weekday dinner ill put Ol West on it. If I am smoking a pork butt or trying to impress ill finish it with this. I also tend to add alot more brown sugar than the recipe calls for. Shake it up in a old ketchup container or spray bottle and spray it on right away. turns out pretty darn good. Also can use for a dipping sauce turns pulled pork into candy.

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137