favorite ice rod locker holder

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually n

Actually it’s not any bigger than the rod hard cases they are making. My biggest gripe is the cost of it. Kind of expensive for what it is. More compact than a hard case but holds less rods.

Scheels ultimate case is what I went with because I didn’t want to buy an otter at regular price.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scheels unit is pretty nice. Got 8 rods in mine .
4 perch rigs
4 eye rigs

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't some of you people have jobs or something better to do then bring up post from 7 yrs ago.

Nodakangler is not a life. Get outside and do something.

And no I'm not mad because I started reading a 7 yr old post. That is the first thing I do is look at the date.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What makes the difference on the date of the thread when the thread pertains to today. Why does a member need to start a thread when one is already started 🤔

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got the red and black stryker? Bag with tubes. It's OK. But, I think I would get a hard case if I had to do it all over again

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a hard sided rod locker that isn't very mobile when you are out of ice trolling, the thing I like about the Eskimo rod locket is the pvc tubes to protect your rods from damage even though it's a soft sided case. I absolutely love my rod locker but it takes up too much room in the flip over, they haven't increased too much in price maybe 75 bucks since when I bought mine. It's huge
https://icefishinginnovations.com/product/ice-advantage-deluxe-rod-case/
https://mycasebuilder.com/cases-by-brand/custom-foam-flambeau-cases/stock-flambeau-cases/fz7-su/

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
The portability of this one is nice. That's what I like about it. Throw it on your back and carry a k-drill. Fits every u need including extra batteries. I just don't fish walking around much anymore.

https://strikerbrands.com/products/transporter

Screenshot_20231030_221039_Chrome.jpg

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like my Scheels rod case. However, I am going to go back to using a tackle bag instead of keeping tackle in the case. It's nice to have it all together but we don't usually take the rod case into the shelter and it's a pain to either bring the individual trays in or go in and out of the shelter to change tackle.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
The portability of this one is nice. That's what I like about it. Throw it on your back and carry a k-drill. Fits every u need including extra batteries. I just don't fish walking around much anymore.

https://strikerbrands.com/products/transporter

Screenshot_20231030_221039_Chrome.jpg
I bought this same exact item a number of years ago on sale at L&M Fleet Supply in Bemidji. Thought it would be a good purchase for me..but it wasnt..maybe for others it is..not for me tho as I sold it at a rummage sale a yr or so ago. I just found it unable to accommodate longer ice rods....and if you had larger guides on your rod, they wouldnt fit in the pvc tubes..and longer rods have problems with the tip top..ask me how i know. I think it only held 5 rods..3 on the one end and 2 on the other. Which is probably good for one person but i need something for the wife and I so this didnt cut it..i know i know..for one person it probably fits the bill. Also..a person needed to be sure to remove the lure before putting in case as it could get caught in the inner lining of case...ask me how i know. At the end of the day..not only becuz of owner stupidity, I just didnt care for it so sold it at a deep discount from brand new.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like my Scheels rod case. However, I am going to go back to using a tackle bag instead of keeping tackle in the case. It's nice to have it all together but we don't usually take the rod case into the shelter and it's a pain to either bring the individual trays in or go in and out of the shelter to change tackle.
That's my problem with my hard sided case it's just too big to lug around

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like the cheapies. Around $20 or less if you catch them on sale. Can fit 6 rods plus 6 rod holders in one side pocket, tackle in the other. Keep 2 of them loaded up and they take less space than some of the cases that hold half as much. When they wear out after 3-4 seasons break out a new one for $20.

I brought home the most expensive hard case from Scheels and returned it immediately because it was all case, no space.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
Depends on the length of rods you prefer. I like long rods, 36"-42" with shimano 1000 size reels.
Budget Rod Locker: Eagle Claw Rod Locker which holds up to 40" and deep enough for medium+ size reels

Standard Rod Size Locker : Scheels hard case. Shorter rods and reels. Too shallow for other gear but also less bulky.

Premium Rod Locker: https://www.otteroutdoors.com/product/pro-tech-48-deep-rod-case/
Fits the longest rods reels I would ever use. Deep enough for extra gear. Durable, quality foam and latches. Basically like hauling another loaded sled. But extremely bulky and heavy. Probably meant for atv owners.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I started with the Striker Ice Transporter and sold it after a year. The Scheels hard case stores the rods more to my liking and organizes my tackle better. I also broke 3 Jason Mitchell rods in that damn Striker case, drove me nuts! At the end of the day it's all about building your own techniques. If I'm going to be mobile I will probably only need 2 rods and I'll have a sled behind me for random stuff. If I'm going to be in the house then I've got everything I want in my Scheels case.

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Imo anything between the classic tube style and the hard Scheels case is a waste of money. Not much improvement in protection. I use a converted gun case because I'm too cheap to buy the Scheels one. The ice innovations case was the only hard ice case available when I rigged up mine originally.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I bought a square travel bow case and added soft foam to it. I bet I have 10-12 rods in there. And shockingly they do not get tangled up that bad even with hooks on every rod. I got tired of the cheap bags with zippers that always break. Zippers are not a friend of the cold.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88