Fish fry

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shake a bunch of Frank's hot sauce into evap milk/whole milk mix (50-50), coat with fine-crushed Cheez-Its and shake off excess. Fry @ 375 til just flakey. YUM.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cut fish into good nugget size. Some times I will use egg/milk bath, then toss in shaker with Dot's pretzel breading with a pinch of cayenne pepper or some finely diced/chopped jalapeno in the shaker. Heat up oil to around 350 in cast iron. Instead of tarter sauce, mix 50/50 ketchup and mayo for a dip. Add in a cold beer and "walla"..pure happiness.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chunk fish into "chicken nugget" sized pieces.

Fryer 350-375.

Never more pieces in the fryer than 1-layer deep in the bottom of the basket.

2.5-3min TOPS, use a timer.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
For smaller cooks, I use a Dutch oven on the stove and deep fry. I have a savage vent hood, so it pipes the smell out. I use the oil several times before discarding. I run my oil up to around 425-440F (shack) before dropping fish nuggets. I don’t use a timer, I just know when the fish are done. I size nuggets up before dropping them in oil so I maintain consistency.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Final words are these:

I hear people who love to fish say that their family doesn’t like fish. After I ask them about their livewell to table practices, I know exactly why.

I recently fried a bunch of fish for some people. There were some teenage girls who said they didn’t like fish. 2 hours after the cook, they came back out on the deck with cold fish from the fridge as an evening snack.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can’t remember the right oil temp you’re hopeless because it’s the same as the number of DAYS IN A YEAR.

Deep fried fish has a built in alarm. Juices just start coming out when it’s done and the sound changes to that sound you hear when water drops into hot oil (snap/crackle/pop).

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can’t remember the right oil temp you’re hopeless because it’s the same as the number of DAYS IN A YEAR.

Deep fried fish has a built in alarm. Juices just start coming out when it’s done and the sound changes to that sound you hear when water drops into hot oil (snap/crackle/pop).

One thing I forgot to mention was oil source and smoke point. Knowing your smoke point is key. I like the higher smoke point oils for cushion. Gas can really spike temps depending on cooking scenarios

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Butterball Turkey Fryer negates most concerns but is not as much fun. I learned in Ga. the oil is hot enough when a match thrown into the oil ignites.

And per ALWAYS; Guy is correct:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rule #1: TAKE CARE OF YOUR CATCH OR IT WON'T TASTE GOOD!

Rule #2: Follow the directions below

Start by patting fillets dry
Drop a handful of fillets into a gallon Ziplock of flour
Shake until covered
Dunk flour coated fillets into eggs wash in a wide Tupperware
Transfer to gallon Ziplock of fry mix (50% Shore Lunch Original, 50% Cajun, then cut by 1/3 with panko) Shake until covered
Fry in peanut or canola oil and (as mentioned by @LBrandt) at 350 degrees, watching so you don't cool the oil with too much fish

BOOM!

More than once I've had people SWEAR they hate fish and won't eat any, only to be talked into trying some. After braving the first trial they all came back for seconds!

You wind up with messy fingers coated in egg wash/fish fry mixture, but it is absolutely worth the result!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have like a tupperware shaker thing that I use to coat the nuggets, works like a charm and I tell you it dont matter what kind of fish you use its always good. LB

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
What does everyone use for fish fry? I was making my own beer batter, but that gets a little messy out camping. I started using Louisiana fish fry and recently bought a bag of Catch and Cook that I will try this weekend. I'm thinking I need to find a recipe and make my own. The crispier the better.
Fry magic, or sometimes just lite flour dusting little salt/ pepper on fresh caught cold water walleye or perch.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member

what do I do in a leap year?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88