Fishing Kayak Input Requested

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to get a fishing kayak in the near future to take muddin' as I know of lots of awesome spots that I can hit with a shore launched kayak. I'm leaning toward the Jackson Big Rig for it's stability and the fact that I can put a power pole micro anchor system on it or a trolling motor on the back. Chair configurations are also a big factor as I don't want an aching back after a day on the river and all the talk about 240-280 paddles is giving me a headache. I know it has to do with the size of the paddle, but if someone could explain the differences between paddles as far as usefulness, that would be GREAT!! I've never had or been in a kayak before so suggestions, experiences, and other pro/con items would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance from a soon to be wet in the Sheyenne river......kayak amateur.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.ultraskiff.com/

This is what I would get instead of a Kayak just for the stability. It may be a bit clumsy to move, but so is a kayak. I like the fact you are up above the water and can move around.

Redmist

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out an Otter 2000 I really enjoy mine for hunting and fishing. Seats set up high enough it doesn't bother my lower back.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I 2nd something similar to the otter. They are sweet. You can pretty much stand any place on them and it's stable. Hard to believe actually. Highly versatile. But, not a kayak. So, maybe thats not what you are looking for.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM,

The Jackson Big Rig / Big Rig Pro is a very stable and the power pole micro anchor option would be nice. Not sure exactly what they go for $$, but I believe that they are around $1,600. We do a fair amount of kayaking on the Missouri River and area lakes, fishing and general kayaking. I like the way that the Wilderness Systems kayaks cut through the water...good hull design. We picked up a couple Old Town fishing kayaks at Dicks last fall. The attached pic shows the difference in hull design. The Old Town's are not the greatest for running the Missouri as they do not track all that well. But they are very stable and I believe that we paid about $500 each. Regarding length, there are several methods recommended to determine proper length. The width of the kayak should be a factor. If the kayak is 29" to 33" wide, most sites recommend 240 - 250. Over 34" wide, 250 to 260. The simplest method that I have found is standing with arm raised and paddle next to you, you should be able to fold your fingers over the top end of the paddle. I am 6'3" and use 250-260 paddles. Another factor to consider is material type. General rule is to purchase the lightest material that you can justify. Difference between aluminum and carbon paddle over 3-4 hours of paddling may be the difference between sore shoulders and and a comfortable end to the day. Certainly not expert, but we enjoy this as a family activity 100_3893.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Wirehair!!! When you fish, how do the wilderness kayaks perform?? From the pic it looks like your kayaks are sit in style. How does this affect your casting ability and landing fish?? How do the rods and tackle fit in the kayak?? Thanks Again!!!

Lostlunker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to get a fishing kayak in the near future to take muddin' as I know of lots of awesome spots that I can hit with a shore launched kayak. I'm leaning toward the Jackson Big Rig for it's stability and the fact that I can put a power pole micro anchor system on it or a trolling motor on the back. Chair configurations are also a big factor as I don't want an aching back after a day on the river and all the talk about 240-280 paddles is giving me a headache. I know it has to do with the size of the paddle, but if someone could explain the differences between paddles as far as usefulness, that would be GREAT!! I've never had or been in a kayak before so suggestions, experiences, and other pro/con items would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance from a soon to be wet in the Sheyenne river......kayak amateur.

Have you thought about a small canoe at all? Sportspal makes a 12 foot canoe that weighs I think around 45-50 lb and comes with a mount for a trolling motor. Not the most durable vessel on the water but they are stable enough a guy could probably do jumping jacks in them. Canoes are a lot easier to store your gear in and with how light that 12 foot sportspal is it's really easy to carload too.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about Hobie kayaks? I know close to nothing about kayak but have thought about getting one as well.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
image.jpg
This is what I have and I have nothing bad to say about it. Very stable for my 6'5" self. I haven't fish it from a standing position but I know I could with a little practice. It's quick enough to paddle up the Yellowstone so the sheyenne should be a breeze. I have two different paddles but I really don't see much difference between them, just dig in and go.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not much help here, but every time I'm on the river I keep getting the itch to try kayaking.

I was in Epic sports in Bismarck looking at bikes with my wife today. They seem like a great business to deal with and rent kayaks as well. Not sure if they would have good options for fishing but might be able to try a few on the water there.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should also add that it's light enough to pick up and carry and has handles on the ends if you are on soft ground or grass and you can pull it really easy. I also have a "cart" for it but never felt the need for it.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey Renville, Thanks for the info!! Does your kayak track straight without a rudder and how does it function as a fishing platform?? Thanks Again!!

ShootnBlanks, Thanks for your help!! In your opinion, do the SOT style kayaks lend themselves better to fishing and if so, why??

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Epic Sports in Bismarck had a kayak rigged for fishing to rent two years ago. I was going to give it a try but never did. So there is an option here, to try before you buy....

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do outriggers get in the way for fishing ? I've only been in one once and it was late summer with warm water and my boy was with teaching me . I did fine just paddling around but judging by my first run I personally wouldn't take one out fishing in cold water without "training wheels" until I spent some time in one. I like stability on the water especially if I have fishing equipment aboard.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey Renville, Thanks for the info!! Does your kayak track straight without a rudder and how does it function as a fishing platform?? Thanks Again!!

ShootnBlanks, Thanks for your help!! In your opinion, do the SOT style kayaks lend themselves better to fishing and if so, why??

It tracks great once you get the hang of what you are doing which doesn't take long at all. Like I said at my height center of gravity isn't my strong suit but with a little practice I think standing would be no problem. The rod holders are really handy, both the permanent ones and the removable Scotty holder. Have even caught fish "trolling" with a crank using the holder and just taking it easy going from place to place. The anchors are small and work well, also in swift current it's easy to just tie up to a branch somewhere and jig or cast. There is also compartments under your legs and in the front of the boat. I've actually taken a plastic bag from the bait shop and set it in the one below the seat making for easy access to minnows if you want to go the live bait route.

- - - Updated - - -

Little better pic.

image.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good stuff Brian!! Thanks a bunch!! If you think of any features that you noticed were very useful, please don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks Again!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 28
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 9