Fishing Kayaks

NDOUTDOORS

looking for opinions and suggestions for buying one. Ive so far looked at the Hobie pro angler 14. Im new to this idea and think it would be super fun to get out to some of the smaller lakes on one.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fish out of my touring kayak (16' long and built for covering ground more than fishing) and it works ok. But a buddy has a Jackson Cuda and it's built for anglers. You can adjust the seat height for traveling (low) or fishing (high). Tons of storage, room for add-ons, and I was able to stand in it and fly fish. I'm 6'3" and 230 and felt very stable double haul casting in a decent chop. And it's about 2k cheaper than the Hobie. But those fins would be awesome for trolling cranks with two rods

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe Epic Sports in Bismarck has Jackson kayaks. I also believe they rent them. May be able to try before you buy. I know this was true several years ago. Not sure if it is true today. They are located on the Bismarck side near the intersection of the memorial bridge.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've contemplated buying a kayak, but I've also thought about buying a 12-14 ft boat that a guy could just throw in the back of the truck with a small motor. Maybe buy one of these guys too.

hitch.jpg

Attachments

hitch.jpg

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been fishing from a kayak the last two years in ND. If you can try it before you buy it, do it. Sit on requires some thought about how you move round (center of gravity is higher) Second look at how you might rig it. Where will the fish finder/ transducer go and where will the power source go. They have some new lithium power supplies that are light weight. Think about where your rod holders are and where you would like them. Mine are behind the seat. It can be a pain when you can't see the rod tip ( think small fish on and not pulling drag). I have been toying with the idea of adding a rudder to improve tracking. The only downside I see with them is fish getting tangled when close to boat. I use the hitch extender on my truck to support the kayak when transporting. It works great. If you have any other questions on rigging give me a shout. I'm in Minot and can help you with it.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
For fishing mostly current areas, I plan on getting a Jackson Coosa HD. I was going to get one this spring, but I bought a ATV and blew the toy fund all to pieces. Most of the rivers in ND are too shallow and snaggy for a hobie and those fins that stick down and weeds really don't go well with the fin drive either. The Jackson Big Rig is a pretty good choice too if you are planning on just fishing ponds, but doesn't track as well in current. LOTS AND LOTS of options to think about. I would recommend talking to as many dealers and kayakers as you possibly can. Everyone has good and bad experiences that you will find useful. PM me with your phone number if you would like to talk more. I've been researching this for 3 years now and typing all I've learned is NOT something I'd like to do this early in the morning. Good Luck!!!

P.S. Orcus was an AWESOME source of info for me!!! Thanks again Orcus!!!!

Last edited:

Lostlunker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always suggest a smaller canoe over a kayak. It's easier to fish and move around in a canoe compared to a kayak and not only that you get a lot more storage. If you can find yourself a Old Town Pack or 12 foot Sportspal you would be set. Either of those 2 canoes weigh less than 50 lbs and are pretty easy to transport. If you do look at kayaks I've seen the Perception Pescador 12 on sale frequently online for around $450 shipped. From what I've read they are just rebranded Wilderness System Tarpon 120 which usually sells for $1000.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just got my May issue of Outdoor life and they have a big review on Kayaks.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
those otter boats seem pretty sweet for this purpose. the 2000 decked out with seats and what not would be nice. but, i need a 4th boat (5th if you count the canoe). like i need a hole in the head.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really like my USS Mud Puppy. 10' x 4' and stable as a table. Weighs 150 lbs stripped down and about 350 loaded down with 2 deep cycle batteries and a 12v 40# thrust Minn Kota w/auto pilot. Decked it out with an anchor, rod holders, oar clips, old cooler for a live well, storage bin for license, maps etc. and brackets for trolling rod holders. Probably don't need the second battery but if I'm by myself weight is not an issue. Maiden voyage on Sweetbriar was a resounding success last fall. 40# Minn Kota could push me up to 3.5 mph and lasts all day at trolling speed. Picked up a catfish, a crappie, a perch, 20+ bullheads along with 15" and 20" walleyes. Had never had a nibble there before. Mounted an HDI transducer on the Minn Kota and had eyes on the fish and bottom with my Elite-7 HDI. Bought the boat used for $500 and the Minn Kota for $75. Batteries and Elite-7 came off my Lund Tyee. Other accessories maybe cost $50-60. I have a feeling I'm going to get more use out of the Mud Puppy than the Tyee. :)

IMG_1015.JPGIMG_1017.JPGIMG_1018.JPGIMG_1019.JPG

NDOUTDOORS

Wow thanks for all the responses. I think this is all great info. I just cant wait to get out and catch some fish. Ill be deciding this weekend and would like to get one sunday or monday

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just bought a cheap 10' sit in Kayak for like $450. I love. By the end of this year i'd like to have some electronics on it but for now i've been fishing old school. Usually pitch jigs or a dead stick with minnow or worm AND if i find them i anchor up and use both. I've seen some pretty elaborate kayak rigs with tons of electronics and a trolling motor. I figure if i wanted to put that much effort into it i'd have a nice little boat like Ponyroper. Until then, i love paddling around on smaller lakes and finding fish. Landing them in a kayak is pretty enjoyable and a nice little task to get used to.

I'd start cheap, unless you're loaded or can find your way into something like Ponyroper. That is certainly a helluva fishing rig.

NDOUTDOORS

I'm far from loaded. that's why I'm looking at kayaks, just trying to find a way out on the water without spending a fortune. I have found some 14-16 foot boats for the price of kayaks. I even looked at a sun dolphin plastic boat that looks pretty cool for 1200

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is what I have and I have nothing bad to say about it. Very stable for my 6'5" self. I haven't fish it from a standing position but I know I could with a little practice. It's quick enough to paddle up the Yellowstone. I have two different paddles but I really don't see much difference between them, just dig in and go.

IMG_2276.JPG

Havent done much with fish finders but I did use the ibobber a few times and that seems to work ok until my model became outdated and wouldn't sync with my phone anymore. Might look into some other small options but honestly I'm not sure how much I'd pay attention to the sonar. I tell ya what when you set the hook into a pike and it has no problem turning you around it's pretty dang fun.

NIC

I have the Hobie Pro Angler 12 and Outback. The Pro Angler is a little more comfortable to fish out of but it is heavy to load and unload and get around. The Outback is much easier to handle and it takes significantly less effort to move on the water. If I could only have one I would take the Outback. Since I got the kayaks they have become my preferred way to fish, I hardly get my big boat out anymore. You can fish little lakes with no ramps and have the whole lake to yourself in most cases.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I bet if you hook into a big carp or pike your in for a ride. That would be fun.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
NDOUTDOORS, if you are looking to pick one up right away, I give a thumbs up to a perception product. My friends kids dragged theirs across the dock for three summers and wore a hole in the transom. I called Perception and they sent a repair kit no charge. I told them I was willing to pay as it was not my kayak, rep said not an issue. Even gave me some tips for the repair. Now that is customer service.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Customer service? Thats like lund sending riverfisher some rivets in a bag, a spool of aluminum, and directiond on how to run an aluminum welder and use a rivet gun.

Just funning with you. That other thread is gonna provide material for years to come.

Lostlunker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like there are 2 decent Kayaks on Bisman. There is a guy in Mandan selling a 14 foot Old Town Predator for $400 that is a crazy good deal.

https://www.bismanonline.com/mandan_nd/kayaks_for_sale_i_have_3_kayaks_for_sale_1_is

and another guy here in Bismarck selling a Future Beach Angler all rigged out with a trolling motor for $650. Looks like these future Beach Anglers go on sale for $300 sometimes from the reviews I read on Dicks Sporting Goods website.

https://www.bismanonline.com/bismarck_nd/forget_paddling_rigged_fishing_kayak

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
espringers,I should have seen that coming. Thread cross talk can be dangerous. Lostlunker, that old town sounds like a good deal. Old Town also makes the Ocean Kayak line.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33