Fishing toon

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do indeed like the toon, it is a real pleasure to drive. Obviously, it is not as nimble as my Fisherman, but it's pretty responsive.

I have no doubt that you'd be able to put 5-6 people on my toon and pull a tube with a couple people on it with ease. Maybe if I up-pitched my current 13 pitch enertia to a 15 it would get doggy, but it has great hole-shot as currently rigged. I still haven't quite got it fully rigged (missing an electric trolling motor for now), but I'm getting there. I get max speed of 32 regardless if I'm running into a 20 mph wind, or with it. The lack of substantial change in top speed regardless of the wind has me pretty optimistic that I'll still get in the mid-upper 20's while pulling the tube.

It's not as bad to load as I originally thought (maybe I'm a better loader than I am angler...actually, I'm pretty sure that's true). Unloading is a breeze, it trailers down the highway just fine, and so far even in 30 mph gusts I have had no handling/loading issues.

I'm going to be out on the toon tomorrow with the whole gang, hoping we can put a whooping on some fish for a change.

Anyone that's south of Bismarck tomorrow and sees a red pontoon with a bunch of kids and a gal that is way prettier than the boat driver deserves, I could use an up-to-date fishing report! :D

Depending on what you're willing to spend, Vallely's had a used fishing pontoon with a 225 hp Yammie on it for around $31k. I think I would be disappointed in the performance if I had anything less than the 150 mine has on it. That 225 has got to make that toon fly!

well shit! I drove through vallely's lot today and I did not see that toon!! what kind was it?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
How slow can you go? Could you slow down enough to pull cranks? I wish they would start putting kickers on the fishing models.

Yes, especially in the damn winds that have been around here just about every time the toon has hit the water. Near as I can tell, it trolls at about 2.4-2.7 mph with no wind. A little too fast for spinners, but I can live with that while pulling cranks. It gets down to about 1.1-1.2 mph when backtrolling.

On a side note, we did go to Beaver on Saturday. The wind was a whistling through the area and I decided to see what the toon could do in the open seas. I suppose we hit some waves that were a little over 3 ft, no problem whatsoever. Even gave her the onion and smoothly came back in with the wind and those waves at around 28-30 mph.

I wouldn't want to be out in those conditions for very long though, going straight into or with the waves was one thing, going at an angle or cross-wise to the waves might loosen a few nuts and bolts or break something.

- - - Updated - - -

well shit! I drove through vallely's lot today and I did not see that toon!! what kind was it?

Hmm, I don't remember what brand it was. I just looked at their webpage and didn't see it. It was on the west side of their lot, all the way to the north. Black in color.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone who went from a v-hull to a pontoon had any regrets?

I think they would have regrets about losing some nimbleness. I tried putting the pontoon into some stuff that I would have easily been able to fish with my Lund. Maybe I need a little more practice, but it's a lot more challenging for the small drifts on the river.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone who went from a v-hull to a pontoon had any regrets?

if i still fished with 1 or 2 other guys all the time, i wouldn't have a toon... if i fished alone, i would have a tiller or single counsel...

i now fish with a minimum of 3 and wouldn't be without it... it fishes 4 perfectly, and 5 easily pulling anything you want. i have to say my first 1 was a twin tube with a 90, and on big water i just wasn't comfortable... the triple with the 150 was a game changer...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31