Fluorocarbon lesson

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Went to spool up my new inline ice reel with fluorocarbon line and ended up kinking the entire spool rendering it useless because the whole point of getting this reel was to avoid twists. What I did wrong was I just threaded the line only through the bottom eyelet and put too much tension at 90 degree angle when I reeled it up. Hopefully you can avoid this mistake too!

Is there a fluorocarbon that doesn’t retain its memory forever?

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you already throw it away? If not, would spooling it onto a spinning reel with a large spool help or is it too kinked?

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Did you already throw it away? If not, would spooling it onto a spinning reel with a large spool help or is it too kinked?

I tried to pull on it to straighten it out like I would do mono but that didn’t work. I ended up just tossing it. Would spoiling it on a reel eventually loose that kink?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
fluoro is only good for leaders in my limited (awful) experience

I’ve never had good luck with them - coily as an old ma Bell phone cord

co-polymers are good on the ice (p-line)

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't unspool all the line, use it as a filler line. Pull out about 300 feet or less then spool with another type of line. Then next year pull the 300 feet off and spool with a fresh line. Since this is a ice fishing line you shouldn't ever have to worry about using 300 feet of line to get to the crappy line. I use monotex line on all my reels and it loses its wax coating causing it to begin to fray I just pull off around a 100 feet and attach fresh line every year. I hope this help. Use a blood knot to tie your lines together

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds better than a nanofil lesson...

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Flouro just doesn’t seem to work on spinning gear for that very reason IMO. Hell I don’t even like it on a bait caster. I gave up in the crap. The only thing I use it for now is leaders on my braid.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep the line and cut it up into your small sections of leader lines for summer fishing. Problem solved!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed ^^^^ leader line only,spool up some trilene xl or braid, but don't use the wife or friend holding the pencil trick we have all used at least once.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
P-Line Floroice is usable on for spinning reels as it’s only fluorocarbon coated. True fluorocarbon should probably be left as a leader only or a bait casting line with heavier baits like bass or ocean apps. IMO

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ted Takasaki told me to use power pro, so that is what I do.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
was this the time you met Ted at the gas station buying sushi ????

I forgot about that time, but this was at the Fagro dome at some camper show about 10 years ago. He even gave me a free spool.

- - - Updated - - -

or taking a deuce next to his fish house?:cool:

No I shit in his fish house as it was a blustery day, and I needed shelter and privacy. He actually thanked me for shitting up one of his holes.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 42
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16