I'm addicted to Power Pro

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a ton of power pro and suffix 832. Like them both for pitching and whatnot. Still run FireLine on my crank rods as it stills seems to cut the water better.

For anyone that likes suffix 832, Daiwa makes a braid that is very comparable in feel and overall performance. I’ve been using more of that as the year goes on.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and it’s substantially cheaper.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Double palomar knot guy here with 10# PP all day.. Switched over to it about 4-5 years ago and finally running into some older stuff on the reels in which every knot id tie would easily break with the slightest of tug finishing the knot.. After 3 easily broken knot attempts on the fly, (in 20+mph wind of course) it was time to pull it off until i found the good-ole looking ORIGINAL moss green look again to get me through the rest of the day.
Then it was off to scheels to send the young lad back into the inventory room to grab 5 more boxes as it was sold out that given day..
I can already see the 33% increase in cost coming after this thread, thanks KDM!! Jk

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Might have to try it again. But suffix 832 is a hell of a line as well.

Is Suffux that white stuff? If it is, I tried it but had a lot of problems with it so went to PP.
So many space aged lines out there right now I get confused. Still use mono for leaders and spinners.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't tried power pro, my 5-12 year old fireline is still working so no reason to respool.

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
If a guy was to use it on salmon fishing gear, what poundage and would you? Pros or cons?

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a thought here JayKay, but if you have a second spool for your reel, you can reverse the PP section and tie the "Used" section of PP to the mono and fill the spool to the "Unused" section of the same PP piece. I use the first 40 yards of so of the 100 yard PP piece for the most part so instead of throwing it out when it gets "fuzzy", I just take that spool off and put the unused spool on, fill with fresh backing mono and tie the used section of PP to the end. The fuzzy PP is buried under the new stuff to where if it sees daylight I will probably not get that fish anyway. Saves a bit on line costs.

Great idea. Always wondered what I'd ever use the crappy plastic "spare" spools for. Great idea KDM. Thanks, I'll do it!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
reversing the line is easily done out in the yard sans spool

tie line off on something, walk to string it out, wrapped around a triangle of few distant trees if necessary if you don’t have a straight shot

once it’s all off you go to tied off fuzzy end and spool up from there

unless you ocean fish like MSA, in which case you’d need a moped or something

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
If a guy was to use it on salmon fishing gear, what poundage and would you? Pros or cons?

I run 20lb PP on my salmon Rods in AK. Only problem I run into is keeping it in the down rigger clamps. I use OR-16 clips and it wears into the pads that hold the line. I also fish Silvers with 10lb PP on medium walleye rods with spinning reels.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
PP or Spider wire, 20lb for cranks 10 lb on spin cast reels. Mostly buy PP now, but looks the same as Spider wire to me. When Spider Wire came out in the 90's it took a bit to learn knots and tangling, but the only mono I use now is for leaders and my shore fishing rigs.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run 20lb PP on my salmon Rods in AK. Only problem I run into is keeping it in the down rigger clamps. I use OR-16 clips and it wears into the pads that hold the line. I also fish Silvers with 10lb PP on medium walleye rods with spinning reels.

The salmon guide we had up in Homer AK took sections of wide rubber band and wrapped it around the PP where he put it into the clip. The rubber band took the pounding of the line and saved the pads from wear. Might want to give that a try Callem'In.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member

Only problem I've had with salmon is the thrash so hard and have soft mouths, so with no stretch in the braid it seems to rip the hooks outta salmonoid mouths easier. Mono's stretch seems to absorb alot of that shock.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
The salmon guide we had up in Homer AK took sections of wide rubber band and wrapped it around the PP where he put it into the clip. The rubber band took the pounding of the line and saved the pads from wear. Might want to give that a try Callem'In.

That is a fantastic idea

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had power pro on a older jason mitchel rod for a few years and it has wore a groove in the front eye and started fraying the string.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go on eBay, get Kastking braid. 1100 yards for 20 bucks. Exact same line as power pro, available in lots of colors and any lb test. Just got some a couple weeks ago, it's the cats ass.

- - - Updated - - -

Why a reel with 4000 yards? Ocean fishing or ?????:;:rockit

For big sharks from shore. Trying to land one over a thousand pounds, go back to give it another go in a few weeks.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry, I was in Alaska when this thread was started so am just asking my question now. I am a PP fan but this spring I bought some spools in lighter test (6lb and 8lb) than I was using in the past. While I was fishing with them, they have broke in the middle of the line either on a cast or on a hook set.....and no, I wasn't strong arming it :) Has anyone else had this problem?

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I have fireline that is older than my kids and my youngest is 19 ha ha ha
Couldn't fish without super line stuff that's for sure!

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not with power pro. I did have some issues with super slick but never the original.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry, I was in Alaska when this thread was started so am just asking my question now. I am a PP fan but this spring I bought some spools in lighter test (6lb and 8lb) than I was using in the past. While I was fishing with them, they have broke in the middle of the line either on a cast or on a hook set.....and no, I wasn't strong arming it :) Has anyone else had this problem?

As with any braid, abraision is the enemy. I had this problem with 30, 50, and 100lb test. Turns out, while I was letting my bait sit on bottom, the current was rubbing my line in the sand, or tops of the sand bars, which would wear and weaken the line causing it to break in odd random spots.

Solved it with 200-1,000 yard mono top shots. Highly recommended if you fish with bait rigs n dead sticks on bottom.

I'd guess with such light line this could happen very easily on rocks, sand, branches, etc...

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93