Flying Cranks!!

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator

Heads up! Good defense!

I know it's no laughing matter when the hooks connect, but my uncle got lucky on this one ... so, it's hilarious!

Anyone else have a close call like this, or have one connect??

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was younger I was casting a mepps and got it snagged up. While I was trying to free it or tear it off it came flying back at me standing on shore and imbedded itself into my chin. Got it pulled out with a little blood but lucky and no worse for wear.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not cranks, but similar situations while catfishing:

Watched a guy catfishing in a tournament...he was reeling his line in very fast so they could move to the next spot. Rod was loaded up, reel was screaming, and suddenly the pyramid weight broke the surface of the water. For those not familiar, pyramid sinkers have VERY sharp corners! Well, he was in the back of the boat, his partner in the front ducked the projectile, and it hit him square in the forehead. Blood ensued, shirt sleeve was ripped off to mitigate the damage, and fishing continued. Extremely fortunate it didn't hit him in the eye or take out a tooth!

Second story happened to me. Had a 14 pound cat in the bottom of the boat and was unhooking the circle hook. Somehow, when the cat kicked, it went into my finger right to (but not past) the barb. Both my kids were watching and their eyes got as big as saucers.....they knew (as did I) that one more thrash from the fish would bury it in my finger. I pinned it to the bottom of the boat, prayed, and managed to get the hook out before something more serious happened. There was silence for what felt like a few minutes before I told the boys I was ok and we kept the afternoon going. I can only imagine how it would have felt if that cat would've gone on a death roll and took my finger with it. Close call!

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member

Heads up! Good defense!

I know it's no laughing matter when the hooks connect, but my uncle got lucky on this one ... so, it's hilarious!

That's an INCREDIBLY close call! That thing had force behind it!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was fishing in a canoe with my brother and his fishing buddy. It was warm, but my brother was wearing a thick beaver skin cap. He had shot the beaver, tanned the beaver, and just finished stitching the cap so he was going to wear it warm or not.
We were canoeing the Sheyenne river, and every 100 yards or so we would run the canoe into vegetation to stabilize it then stand up and cast. My brother and his friend were nine to ten years older so I sat in the middle and tossed jigs a few yards over the side. My brother friend was casting a Lazy Ike with a set of tandem treble hooks up front a set in back, and a center set of treble in the middle. His friend let out a little extra line and let it rip trying to reach across the river. The Lazy Ike burried its hooks deep into the beaver hat nearly knocking my brother off his feet, but not a single hook reached skin.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_2576.jpg

When you're pre-fishing and the bottom of the boat is full of rods to trip over.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The “close-call” has happened numerous times, #bigschoolsofwhitebass. I’ve been scratched by hooks coming out of fish several times when a fraction of an inch would’ve meant a buried hook.

Grand scheme I’ve dug barbs out of myself 2x. 1st time near my knee when I knelt on a crank close to the bow-mount. 2nd one came flying out of a fish and got a finger. In both cases I was able to push through and clip the barb.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was 10 we were fishing for bull heads off Buchanan bridge with the "old school" bamboo poles. My brother swung his back to throw over the bridge, his hook caught my eyelid. My mother was standing right beside me and saw it and grabbed the line before he was able to flip it over the bridge. Hook was not set in very deep so she was able to get it out.

Clip barbs off cranks, doesn't really matter as.long as you keep tension on fish ( Canada ) had no issues

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope all you fishing guys know trick to take hook out with string just don't tear them out.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Used to fish with a guy that had so many hooks laying around his boat it looked like a minefield. Always wore heavy boots. LB

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
IMG_20140531_124413_220.jpg
IMG_20140531_124413_220.jpg
pike didn't want it in the boat tried to unhook it in the water never
Pike are the worst. Was fishing with my Dad and was removing a three treble rap when Mr pike did that all over trash and hooked me up, I got a hold of his head and was trying to hold him still and dad started to try to get hook out of my hand and Iam screaming 'fish dad get the hook out of the fish", It was just a freaking mess for a while but worked out in the end. Still have a scar to remind me. Would do it again just for one more time fishing with Dad, LB

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had close calls and seen close calls just like in the video. I've also seen buried hooks, just part of the game.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Heads up! Good defense!

Reach for a hook on a loaded rod enough times and this is guaranteed to happen.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Around 50 years ago a friend and I were fishing together on a small river. He was casting a jitterbug into a shallow bay, trying to get a northern to hit. He leaned back to cast and went forward with his rod ---- buried the jitterbug in the back of my head. Yep, in the back of my head ..... This was before cell phones so I have no photos for proof. Just the nightmares of treble hooks coming at my head. Can you say "ouch"? There were no swear words spoken. He is still one of my best childhood friends too. LOL

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Around 50 years ago a friend and I were fishing together on a small river. He was casting a jitterbug into a shallow bay, trying to get a northern to hit. He leaned back to cast and went forward with his rod ---- buried the jitterbug in the back of my head. Yep, in the back of my head ..... This was before cell phones so I have no photos for proof. Just the nightmares of treble hooks coming at my head. Can you say "ouch"? There were no swear words spoken. He is still one of my best childhood friends too. LOL
I did that to myself as a little kid with a daredevil on a zebco 404.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buried a few in my hands. Biggest blunder was when my 9 year old son ran behind me on the deck of the boat when I had the rod loaded up with a number seven Rap to make a long cast. Knew there was trouble when I cast and the lure stayed behind me solidly. Looked around to see a trebble buried all the way through his top lip and another buried into his cheek. Amazingly he stayed fairly calm. I took cutters and then pliers and yanked both of them straight out. he had some wounds but got over it within a few hours and was back to fishing.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84