Flying with frozen meat?

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am taking a flight next week and wanting to bring some frozen walleye and venison steaks and sausage along. My plan is to put the frozen meat in a "thermal" type bag then in garbage bags, then towels around it inside my standard carryon bag with wheels. Flights are approx. six hours with layovers.. Anyone else ever do this? stupid idea? I read where tsa allows it but would like to hear from others, if they have any better ideas from experience,, Flying delta,, Thanks

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had frozen fish shipped from Alaska with guaranteed delivery within 24 hours. It was packed in wax boxes with dry ice, no problem. Have heard of others who brought frozen game home and the biggest no-no was moisture on the outside of the box. It was moisture from condensation but it was still not allowed. Make sure your luggage doesn't sweat would be my only suggestion.

That and contact TSA for an official suggestion since my trip was prior to 9-11.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've flown with frozen food so many times I can't use my fingers and toes anymore to figure it out. All I've done is wrap the meat in a towel and pack your clothes around it like you would anyway. The towel absorbs any moisture and the clothes provide plenty of insulation. The holds aren't heated so your luggage stays pretty cool in flight anyway. Even with lost luggage and an extra 24 hours in the bag, only the outer edge thawed for the most part. Good Luck!!

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
My uncle is bringing me some stuff from Alaska tomorrow via Delta Airlines. If I remember right he usually just wraps it up real good and then checks that bag.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a soft-sided cooler as a carry-on. Just store it in the overhead compartment. Froze everything solid, then wrapped in towels for extra insulation. Didn't need to add ice or ice packs. Flew all the way from Seadrift, Texas with two layovers en route to Fargo, and the very top packages of duck were slightly thawed when I got home. That was it.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
I was going to suggest wool underwear or long johns - but then I got to reading and.....oh well - good luck with your frozen meat conundrum.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
We flew back from Alaska with a soft side cooler full of halibut and salmon. Froze it solid, wrapped in paper towels. Made it back just fine as a carry on.

snowcat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always bring a cooler full back from Mexico, I have some duct tape inside, and when they inspect it they will tape it shut for you, only frozen meat, no ice can be packed along.

Big C

I fly about weekly and if you go through with it in carry on you have a 99% chance of needing to unpack any "food" items going through security. If the walleye are frozen in ice, they may not let through as carry on. No issues as checked luggage.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 2 Caribou spent 5 and 6 days sitting in the shade @ ~50 all day/night and then ~2-days riding home in my backpack as carry-on @ room temp. It was still wonderful on the grill when we got home. 6hrs sans refrigeration isn't going to hurt anything.

Last edited:

mikeross

I flew back from Alaska with a side cooler full of halibut and salmon. Froze it solid, wrapped in paper towels.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11