for the tree and bush experts

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm trying to identify this bush. Grows fast. Has nice flowers...wife wants to burn it because she thinks it's a weed of some sort. It looks like a bush to me. Chokecherry?

Attachments

1436021607533.jpg

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think its a Japanese lilac.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't burn it.

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well the leaves are serrated and not smooth on the edge so I'm guessing not lilac. The stems aren't red. Both of those look really close except for the small details.I'm kind of leaning towards a elder of some sort, a few years ago I cut down a overgrown half dead ugly bush next to it, and three months later it just sort of appeared and looked good. I suppose it was finally getting sun. But I've never noticed seed pods or berries. I've got her to change her mind about burning it lol. I need to make room for another shed and a three season room, I might try move it and see how it does.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I enlarged the photo and although I can't see real well it's clear it's not dogwood. It looks like it has pinate compound leaves. Unfortunately I'm not home where I have references. Nice looking bush I think.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I googled picture of elderberry leaves. There are seven leaflets on the compound leaf and arranged pinate. I think maybe your right. Maybe you should get a five gallon jug and some yeast.:;:thumbsup

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah. Well have to see if it survives the move and makes berries. Thanks.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66