Foreign Grandma Meat Canning

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
When North Dakota was flush with many deer tags to fill in the early 2000s, my family canned lots of venison. Perfect for those late night after the bar closes to open a jar with some instant spuds soaks up all that alcohol for a not so hung over morning to be back to work at 7.
Thanks svn brings back fond memories

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Canned venison, something everyone can agree on. Although I'm not a fan of water-bath canning meats. Pressure canner is more efficient anyways

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately, many protein preservation methods that bypass refrigeration or freezing have been poo poo'ed in recent past. Keep in mind that if the electrical grid has issues...........so do you. Protect your family, by trusting NO ONE. Eat what is available and preserve the excess. Most wildlife from squirrels to coyotes know enough to plan for lean times, but people seem to be totally oblivious to that possibility. Can, Pickle, Dehydrate, Freeze Dry, Vacuum Pack, or whatever method of food preservation that doesn't require electricity will do nothing but benefit you and your family should things go south. Stay Safe Everyone!!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately, many protein preservation methods that bypass refrigeration or freezing have been poo poo'ed in recent past. Keep in mind that if the electrical grid has issues...........so do you. Protect your family, by trusting NO ONE. Eat what is available and preserve the excess. Most wildlife from squirrels to coyotes know enough to plan for lean times, but people seem to be totally oblivious to that possibility. Can, Pickle, Dehydrate, Freeze Dry, Vacuum Pack, or whatever method of food preservation that doesn't require electricity will do nothing but benefit you and your family should things go south. Stay Safe Everyone!!

Yup and you absolutly need to know how to do it now because you most likely won't have the internet when you need it the most. I like to recommend the "Back to basics" book. Everything you need to know about survival is in there. I often ponder when the next tough times will arrive, It might be tomorrow and it might be in 100 years , we just don't know but it is coming that's for sure.

When I was a kid I sat for hours listening to old timers talking about the dirty 30s and war rations of the 40's and I still remember those stories like it was yesterday .

Good vid 7 , and yes , lard is good. I remember the smell/stink of my mom rendering lard and from the lard arose sweet smelling rosettes and donuts by the dozens.

According to our neighbor who had dibs on our Lard cracklings, they were supposedly a good coyote trapping bait from way back when. I tried them but only caught fox because the coyote numbers were down back then. I might have to revisit that thought .

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^Good stuff!! This is a good argument for saving bacon grease?...The salt thing worries me the most. Daniel Boone nearly lost is ass over salt. I highly recommend The "History Channel" series: "The Frontiersmen" produced by Leonardo DiCaprio (?!!!).

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 88