Frame packs/ and GPS for elk hunting

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
LRG_DSC00156.jpg

Bucksnightmare

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have the money to spend, Kifaru is the only way to go. Exo, stone glacier, and mystery ranch are decent as well. Don't waste your money on a Kuiu pack. They are comfortable up to about 30lbs. Anything beyond that and you'd be better off wearing your high school back pack.

nd, I disagree the picture above has 80lb+ and I train with 50lb for most the summer, I have no complaints on KUIU at all. What don't you like about it?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard both love hate for the kuiu just like the eberlestock. The eberlestock fit me great but weigh more than kifaru that is for sure but i also picked my j34 up for 185.00 that does not even get you in the door at kifaru. i would love to try a kifaru a guy can get into a good set up for 500 that just was not in the cards for me this year. I will say that j34 carrys 60 pounds real nice i had 80 plus pounds on my x1a1 this fall and it was way over loaded and was not fun but got the job done.

Kovqyx-ozngrMUVC3p0LeR7mnxaW33bIesNTy-d4S8x6JTNx6Iqsniphg-ZjUKvY8UKaoiNYdswyZpK7Ui0HudDJOD93st0WyWglerogSfpdum4OnIv9Bg-bNzNwzC4apg3D6nXAzHJaBjleKCoso6dhV5_xlV78T4MRGbG_aeJM6IdTqCcBBFpanc-THo-3udz63bNmW_FSYXyEaFKLlkCoChXiVzVTjj8s1Z1ZceKnq1aB7bC6rbVHTaU_11tNSAxnJ3ehebgMK6HkGm2MwEL8CqgVnp19tp_MfLIWs3XcZ49PnVrkOy5efYSEBdmcAwCgyYfXk_PKk177V4Yp1qDZZOOYC700amCaJhT32an8nqZZdlRnIXlOh4kWz2beq5-O1j0tzPJfHa-HEwIOwZU_f6XCl0nPFIukW-63U5fqVNCDGFSsbHSQoCf7e9lrXTbaqM24AoIqhrJy8xnPAe6PoO_m25-zD7zjNWgmE7tAOrdPFqvcDAW8MwrEWtquxqM7jNJvygmjcQClQpbxLinY_TIhEJqOrkDHnJPmIs9PZZhg7Omlt2xn-vZVSnjWKEfh=w483-h643-no

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 1st Gen Badlands 2200 that I still use a fair amount. I've got an Eberlestock Dragonfly J107 that I like, it handles a heavy load very well, but it's heavy itself so I don't use it as much. Lastly most recently I've used a Stone Glacier "Approach" the last 2 yrs and I like it as well. I especially like that the SG is ~3# bare.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 1st Gen Badlands 2200 that I still use a fair amount. I've got an Eberlestock Dragonfly J107 that I like, it handles a heavy load very well, but it's heavy itself so I don't use it as much. Lastly most recently I've used a Stone Glacier "Approach" the last 2 yrs and I like it as well. I especially like that the SG is ~3# bare.

I think that is the one spot the eberlestock really loses is the empty weight to start but i do love that gun scabbard

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
nd, I disagree the picture above has 80lb+ and I train with 50lb for most the summer, I have no complaints on KUIU at all. What don't you like about it?

I loved everything about Kuiu until I tried a good pack. My main complaint with them is durability. They make an excellent day pack, but they are certainly not built to haul heavy loads. Throw 100lb+ in there sometime and see how well the frame holds up.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
I loved everything about Kuiu until I tried a good pack. My main complaint with them is durability. They make an excellent day pack, but they are certainly not built to haul heavy loads. Throw 100lb+ in there sometime and see how well the frame holds up.

I know they had frame issues with heavy loads a year or two ago, but I thought they came out with a better/updated frame system?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another upside to the SG is once you've got the frame, you can swap to any bag in ~10min.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member

That bag gives me a chubby

- - - Updated - - -

and that comment should all but guarantee i dont get invited over to the bat cave to drink SDMF's grain belt anymore

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know they had frame issues with heavy loads a year or two ago, but I thought they came out with a better/updated frame system?

I've heard the Icon Pro's are improvements over their previous models. I would stay away from anything else.

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in this same boat last year, may be able to dig up my old post about packs. I looked at KUIU very, very hard, but couldn't get past a couple things I didn't like. I now run a Tenzing TZ5000 and really like it. This past year the TZ packed out around 75lbs and I thought it handled the load fantastically, hauling it sucked anyway due to terrain, but the bag was flawless. I pack the TZ with all my gear for spending 2-3 days out(tent,bag,sleeping mat, clothes, scope, water, food,etc,etc) and still have the meat compartment expansion to use if needed. I will be using this bag this year for my first Colorado elk trip!!!!!

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your original post said "frame pack" so I don't know if you're considering a true frame pack or not but I'd recommend to get a regular pack instead. A regular pack doesn't weigh that much more and is way more versatile. I'd recommend the Tenzig or Kuiu. I'd stay away from Eberlestock. I have one and it works good but weighs 3 or 4 pounds more than some of the newer packs today.

As for GPS, any Garmin is good. I've got the Dakota 20. It works but the screen is small. I've started to hear more guys just using their phones. The OnXMaps chip is an absolute requirement. By using it on your phone, it is one less thing to carry and also the screen is a lot bigger too.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your original post said "frame pack" so I don't know if you're considering a true frame pack or not but I'd recommend to get a regular pack instead. A regular pack doesn't weigh that much more and is way more versatile. I'd recommend the Tenzig or Kuiu. I'd stay away from Eberlestock. I have one and it works good but weighs 3 or 4 pounds more than some of the newer packs today.

As for GPS, any Garmin is good. I've got the Dakota 20. It works but the screen is small. I've started to hear more guys just using their phones. The OnXMaps chip is an absolute requirement. By using it on your phone, it is one less thing to carry and also the screen is a lot bigger too.

you are the first person i have ever heard say the kuiu or tenzig is more versatile than the kifaru. I would have to go back and look but i thought the kifaru is right there or even less on weight. In reality i would say frame packs are way more versatile for the fact you can switch bags and configurations to match exactly what you need in each situation

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
So far, I have really liked the Garmin 64. It is a small screen but I prefer actual buttons to on screen buttons. And its tough as nails. I forgot that I let it sit on the front of my boat one day after fishing and I took off. It fell off at probably 40mph. When I found it, it was pretty scratched up but still works perfect. The only thing you gain with a 64s is an altimeter. Fairly useless upgrade to me but you may find that little extra useful. Lemme know if you have more questions.

Walker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer Kifaru,here are the packs that I have used and the approximate number of animals thatI’ve hauled. All these animals wereeither boned out, bone in, and/or caped. Distances have been from 300 yards to 4 miles, weight ranging from20-115 pounds.
2007-2009 - EberlestockJ34 -1 antelope, 1 WT doe, 2 muley bucks, 1 WT buck.
2009 - Eberlestock X2 – 1Whitetail doe.
2010-2011 - EberlestockBlue widow – 2 WT Bucks, 2 Antelope, 3 WT Does, 1 Muley Buck.
2012 - Kuiu Icon 5000 2012model – 1 antelope, 2 muley bucks, 2 WT does, 1 WT buck,
2013 - Kuiu Icon 1850 bag(2012 frame and suspension) - bull elk, mule deer, 2-WT does.
2014- Kifaru Nomad, Bikiniframe, longhunter lid and grab-it –Antelope buck, Spike elk, two WT Bucks, WTdoe
2015 – Kifaru Nomad,Bikini Frame, Longhunter lid and grab-it – Antelope buck, WT buck, two Muledeer bucks.

I had noissues with the 2012 Kuiu Icon frame and suspension. The load lifters and belt fit better than theEberlestock J34 and Blue Widow. The Eberlestockswere also alright and offer some use of load lifters if you have a shorter torsobut Eberlestock are heavy but very well made. Eberlestock also offers a gun scabbard which is great for rifle hunting;you don’t have to carry the rifle and can quickly access it when needed. I’ve been using kifaru’s gun bearer system thelast two years and prefer it over the Eberlestock scabbard because there’s lessweight on my back and it’s quicker to access and you don’t have to take offyour pack to reattach it.
I like wearinga pack that allows you carry a heavy load out without having to walk back tothe truck or camp and grab another pack. I was impressed with the Kuiu Icon frame but both bags the tore. Kuiu also uses lighter material compared toKifaru and Eberlestock. I contactedcustomer service, sent in the bags and they replaced them for free, turnaroundtime was about 2 weeks.
The 1[SUP]st[/SUP]and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] generation of Kuiu Frames did break but I believe some ofthese issues have been corrected. StoneGlacier and Kuiu are pretty much the same packs. I believe Kurt from SG actually designed someof Kuiu’s first packs before branching off. Also the expose frame ends (top of frame) will eventually over timefail. I really liked the nomad pack butat times when packed full would get a little wide so I recently ordered the newultralight frame with arrow stays and the tahr bag. I also loaded up the bikini and UL frame with85 pounds each for comparison and I think Kifaru has hit a another home run withthis frame, much improved comfort andfit compared to the bikini frame.
For GPS I’vebeen running the Garmin Oregon 600T with chip and zero complaints. I currently have my Bikini frame, Nomad andLonghunter lid for sale if any ones interested

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
The rifle scabbard on the eberlestock is freaking sweet. The weight of the pack itself offsets the awesomeness of the rifle scabbard in my opinion.

My eberlestock dragonfly can haul more weight than I can handle I believe. Its built to last.

So if you are looking for something to go in basically empty and haul a heavy load the eberlestock is awesome and you can get great deals on them now.
But if you are looking to pack in a tent, sleeping bag and everything else the extra 4-5 lbs is noticeable.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
you are the first person i have ever heard say the kuiu or tenzig is more versatile than the kifaru. I would have to go back and look but i thought the kifaru is right there or even less on weight. In reality i would say frame packs are way more versatile for the fact you can switch bags and configurations to match exactly what you need in each situation

I never mentioned Kifaru. They're for sure high quality too and would be fine.

I just wouldn't recommend the old school pack frames and probably phrased it the wrong way. Today's packs with either an internal frame or has a frame and allows you to change different bags is what I was referring to. I agree, something like Kuiu that allows you to mix and match bags for different situations is great.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88