Freezing your shaft??

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well it got ya to look, anyone ever have issues with freezing the shafts up on their trolling motors early in the year on the river? Last year after fishing a spot a bit then deciding to move a mile or so up river we froze the shaft inside the slide portion on my v2 power drive, it took us 2 hours to thaw and get it back in the water, granted it was a balmy 20 out or so and w windchill while running very feasible, curious if anyone else ever had the issue? Wiping down would help I imagine but not sure if spraying a silicone type spray or Pam like an auger shaft is a good idea

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
have not froze a shaft, but have frozen shut live wells in a carpeted boat that was a real pita... was worth it though...

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
wipe it down helps and let water drain a little bit also spraying with wd40 helps

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was just Leary of spraying anything on the plastic type stuff I guess until someone else has successfully, I've currently got the ulterra and just looking ahead and trying to save the headache

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was just Leary of spraying anything on the plastic type stuff I guess until someone else has successfully, I've currently got the ulterra and just looking ahead and trying to save the headache

I was given the option to upgrade to the ulterra for free last year and this is the exact reason why I kept the terrova

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Shaft" would be a very generous term considering the length. But, no.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh. This is a trolling motor thread. Never mind. Carry on.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the reminder Ghost....I became part of the hijacking....yes, carry on! hehehe.....frozen shaft.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive never had anythig build up that I've noticed. Ive had frozen droplets peg me in the face from it when Im driving.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
When minnkota had a stainless shaft we had issues. Sea foam was the only thing in the boat worked but we kept it out of the water once we got it loose

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reminds me of a time many years ago. Sure brought back memories! Maybe shouldn't have brought this memory back....

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used this on my snowblower and ice auger....it might work on your shaft as well:

cm-DSR610101-400.jpg

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could try Pam spray or her sister. We used to spray our plastic sleds with Pam to give them a bit more speed in our sled races.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 84
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31