Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I need to buy a minner trap just for that purpose. Great idea. LB

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was hoping for some pictures of the garden.....this was WAY better! Great job grandpa and nice innovations!

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great little garden helper. Cherished moments. . .

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was hoping for some pictures of the garden.....this was WAY better! Great job grandpa and nice innovations!

There is a dandy looking garden in the background. Is that yours Bob ? This garden thread makes me smile.

- - - Updated - - -

I need to buy a minner trap just for that purpose. Great idea. LB

Us too.

Bob

Yes Davey C. I have a fairly big garden every year. Like anyone it started small years ago and gets bigger and bigger each year. I challenge myself to try different things. Tomatoes, onions, peppers and corn are the norm, and over the years we have tried some crazy things. I remember one year we planted yard long cucumbers and they grow a yard long! This year we have squash, pumpkins, cantaloupes, carrots, cucumbers, watermelons, sunflowers, corn, snap peas, green beans, onions, several types of peppers and tomatoes. We can lots of items and try different ideas. I have made pickled green beans, some plain and some with hot peppers in them. We make our own pasta sauce, stew tomatoes, salsa, tomatoes juice, pickles of all kinds and canned green beans. I enjoy having my grandkids helping and we make a family affair out of it. Their mom and dad get involved as well as several neighbors help. Everyone shares the garden goodies. I have a few elderly neighbors I take goodies to and some young couples to try to get them interested in growing their own. It's a lot of work but very rewarding when you open a jar of something you grew and process for a meal. I'll post some pictures soon of the garden and watch for a few more videos we plan on doing. Bob

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes gardens are fun! I’ve had to water a lot this year.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have been watering to the tune of 500 gal per day. LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put up a new rain gauge on July 3rd , since then it has only had a trace (unmeasurable amount) of water in it until today. We have 3/4 of an inch so far .

On a side note , I bought another one of those jumbo 20'' easy to read gauges, I happen to notice something it it one day and emptied almost a half inch of honey bees out of it. The one we have had for years has a green colored funnel and it's never had anything but water in it.
The new one is yellow and there is a plastic piece on top to keep leaves out and perfect size holes for a bee to climb in and get trapped.

Buyer beware.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ground cherries are prolific and delicious.

- - - Updated - - -

and they come individually wrapped by neature!

bilbo

Honored Member
Ground cherries are prolific and delicious.

- - - Updated - - -

and they come individually wrapped by neature!

Yes on both. My dad planted some and made a bunch of jams and such in the fall. We have some ice cream sauce in the cupboard and a couple jars of jam left. Going to have to resupply soon.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watch your garden and your wife’s flowers. Flea beetles are pretty bad.

BA39BC25-E80D-4B7D-BD67-88BD3A164B4A.jpg

sprayed late yesterday evening and this was the deck this morning

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Potatoes.... ugg, mine look like crap, probably a third of the hills are total brown. Dug 2 hills tonight, 7 eating size but not big and 6 piddlers. Not good, questions are many. first off, should I dig those dead hills asap or will the spuds keep for a while?

second is learning from this year, could blame it on early planting in a coldish spring but suspect the hills are too close together, little over a foot. Rows are 2' apart with tomatoes on one side and cucumbers on the other, I recall some tale about keeping tomatoes and potatoes apart. I was expecting hard ground as I think that is an overall problem in my garden but those hills dug fairly easy. So watering, mostly a soaker hose between the rows, although the rows next to the tomatoes get some overland flooding. No airborn spraying after things got going. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pulled one of my large sweet onions tonight and made home made onion rings with shore-lunch beer-batter. One happy camper now. LB

Grumps

Wormwiggler: I'm certainly not a master potato gardener but I do OK.

Both t[FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]omatoes and potatoes are in the nightshade family so they spread blight to each other. [/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Potatoes are heavy feeders and really like nitrogen once they start putting on a lot of growth.[/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]I think they also like consistent moisture so I put most of the garden winter straw mulch in/over the potatoe holes when planting.[/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]I also snake a soaker hose through the potatoe beds right after planting and during mid-summer dry periods will run the hose for 6-8 hours during a shady/low light period (about once every 10 days depending on precip).[/FONT]

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88