Getting a little close..

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure is! Makes it seems like the GNF would welcome them with open arms... NO THANK YOU!!
I think all Haase is saying is that there is limited habitat and resources to support grizzlies. They could theoretically exist in ND, but the human tolerance for bears on the landscape would be slim to none. I didn't see anything in the story where he said "it'd sure be neat to get to see a griz in ND", or "our landowners will just have to get used to them"

Average_NDA_Member

Nope it’s confirmed g&f said they want em here bad we all saw it they also admitted to planting wolves tell ya what they all gotta go in fact this land is man’s domain n we don’t need any animals what so ever cept a few trophy class deer probably spent the $750 mil they got from the CWD fund to get ‘em here

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think all Haase is saying is that there is limited habitat and resources to support grizzlies. They could theoretically exist in ND, but the human tolerance for bears on the landscape would be slim to none. I didn't see anything in the story where he said "it'd sure be neat to get to see a griz in ND", or "our landowners will just have to get used to them"
The fact he's NOT expressly laughing and saying GTFO is truly baffling.

What habitat in North Dakota is compatible with both grizzlies and people?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

way east river, the valley I think they call it. Libs can try petting them, and walla we get our conservativeness back in short order.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see one any where near my cattle, its gonna die of lead poisoning real fast. SSS
1706110918096.png

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member

You expect them to take humans into consideration? How selfish! I agree, his quote in the WY paper should have been, "grizzlies in ND? Hahahahahahahahahahaha."

Depends on who you ask, but a grizzly needs anywhere from 5000-7000 acres of mostly secure foraging habitat. By that they mean 70% or so of the 5000-7000 acres should be mostly wild. Historical data suggest ecosystems smaller than 4 million acres of predominantly wild habitat will NOT support breeding populations of grizzly bears in the long term.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
You expect them to take humans into consideration? How selfish! I agree, his quote in the WY paper should have been, "grizzlies in ND? Hahahahahahahahahahaha."

Depends on who's shooting, but a grizzly needs anywhere from 180-225 grains of mostly accurate marksmanship. By that they mean 70% or so of the bullets mass should be mostly through the vitals. Historical data suggest calibers smaller than .30 of predominantly lead bullets will NOT support depleting populations of grizzly bears in the long term.
Fixed it Fly Carpin. (Grin)

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone who thinks there haven't already been a stray grizz come over for a visit are about as sadly mistaken as thinking that there aren't wolves already along with a small population of black bears.
Tight lips and SSS exist for a reason

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone who thinks there haven't already been a stray grizz come over for a visit are about as sadly mistaken as thinking that there aren't wolves already along with a small population of black bears.
Tight lips and SSS exist for a reason
I have a 3min video a buddy of mine took ~15Mi NW of Grand Forks on 12/19/23 of a black bear out in a harvested sunflower field ~100yds off the road.

Neighbors @ the campground have had a bear on their place around Hatton for 3 years.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 3min video a buddy of mine took ~15Mi NW of Grand Forks on 12/19/23 of a black bear out in a harvested sunflower field ~100yds off the road.
We get them down in my area fairly frequently. My HS employer was a bee keeper so back in the late 90's early 2000's we would have a bee yard get hit by a bear and those were Buffalo and Hope Page area's, that's not just a little ways from MN. Our Sheyenne grasslands and Sheyenne river system area it would be nothing for a breeding bear to live, one was spotted near Wyndmere and later in summer more evidence near Colfax which is spitting distance from me. Young bears have been spotted sporadically in my area and while I'm not a bear expert there is no way a bear as young as a couple that were spotted around 2009 and another after that wondered all the way from Twin Valley MN area (nearest huntable bear territory I figure) on their own. Wolves that is nothing new, dad grew up running around cattle in the grasslands and "wolves" were present back then, I can tell you their tracks are noticeable not like dog or yote, fairly certain I saw one south west of Sheldon coyote hunting years ago Then you have mountain lions which on our farm over the years we have had 3 known experiences with me sighting one once feeding horses.
I'm not saying we are being invaded or over run but I am confident that we have more predator's bigger than coyotes and I would not put out of question the potential of breeding taking place periodically. My comment on grizz only comes from a rancher that I talked with this past spring while turkey hunting out west, I have no reason to be skeptic of what he told me.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
black bears are living and breeding in the red and Pembina river valleys.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Three Bears?
Sperry Apiaries.
Loved working for them and really enjoyed the work but getting stung in the throat sent me on ambulance to the hospital then a few weeks later I got stung on the finger which is no big deal until my arm started itching then my neck and I realized that was not good so took a break grabbed a Benadryl with some water, got my heart rate back down from working and it got better. This happened a couple more times over the next couple falls during extraction season and basically it means I had developed an allergy to bee stings so I was forced to not work in the profession anymore.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sperry Apiaries.
Loved working for them and really enjoyed the work but getting stung in the throat sent me on ambulance to the hospital then a few weeks later I got stung on the finger which is no big deal until my arm started itching then my neck and I realized that was not good so took a break grabbed a Benadryl with some water, got my heart rate back down from working and it got better. This happened a couple more times over the next couple falls during extraction season and basically it means I had developed an allergy to bee stings so I was forced to not work in the profession anymore.
Yes Mark and Becca are good people. You probably worked with the old man Ken.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes Mark and Becca are good people. You probably worked with the old man Ken.
Yes sir, Ken was a great man and him, his wife, Mark and Becca are great people. Actually Ken was with when my sting happened, we were south of the Absaraka exit checking hives and placing supers, long story short involves luckily having a cell phone and service to call 911 andbecause he had cataracts he couldn't drive so I was driving almost 60-70mph for I think 7mi with fully loaded truck to meet the ambulance as breathing was slowly getting more difficult, once on O2 things got better and they dosed me good with Benadryl at hospital.
I was with them from fall 1999-2004, fall 99 and 04 the rest full summer with some winter work. Loved the work and was looking like a potential profession until my sting. Neighbor kid started shortly after I left and has continued to work for Mark, might have his own side part. I am sure he will take over when Mark decides to hang it up. I miss those days working for them. It's not always an easy job but super interesting.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84