Gm 6.2

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just sell mine to someone else really easy and go buy almost new from other guys dealers are not what they once were. My 2 cents saved thousandsssss each his own

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ford engineered the 10 speed that both GM and Ford use on the rear wheel drives (and 4WD). GM did the front wheel drive 9 speed.

Does GM still have a lifter issue on the new ones?

Every 6.2 i hop info shows 14mpg overall.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ford engineered the 10 speed that both GM and Ford use on the rear wheel drives (and 4WD). GM did the front wheel drive 9 speed.

Yup you are correct..the 9 speed that GM developed was supposed to be used in Ford vehicles since Ford developed the 10 speed(they were working together to create the transmissions)…Ford refused to use the 9 speed GM developed…wonder why? Also the 6.2 is the same block as the 5.3l…..good or bad?

NodakBob

Honored Member
I had a lemon 5.3 Chevy (2007)…now drive a ford 6.2 gas; wish I had a ten speed but the 6 speed never shifts on the highway with the 6.2 torque

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a 2013 gmc with 6.0 that was good for towing but not great for mileage. Now have a 2021 AT4 with the 6.2 and 10 speed transmission. Still good for towing but waaaaaayy better mileage. Both have had little to no problems. ‘13 was a 3/4 ‘21 is a 1/2.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just went from a 3.0 baby duramax "crazy milage 32-34 mpg/over 700 miles on a 24.5 gal tank".
To a 6.2 I picked up used up in Canada, that was super clean.
Just pulled my boat home from the big lake yesterday, it sure pulls it nice thats for sure.
I liked the 3.0 allot but found myself never wanting to use it, it was black and a Denali. Never wanted to see the fancy thing dirty, if it had been white though I would have probably kept the little diesel. First and last black truck ha ha.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just went from a 3.0 baby duramax "crazy milage 32-34 mpg/over 700 miles on a 24.5 gal tank".
To a 6.2 I picked up used up in Canada, that was super clean.
Just pulled my boat home from the big lake yesterday, it sure pulls it nice thats for sure.
I liked the 3.0 allot but found myself never wanting to use it, it was black and a Denali. Never wanted to see the fancy thing dirty, if it had been white though I would have probably kept the little diesel. First and last black truck ha ha.
Racist. :D Went black and never went back.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had four 6.2's. They all have had good power and the mileage is quite good on the highway. Around town it eats more than the 5.3 though. They pull my trailers and boats well. Only issue I had was with my 2020. The lifters failed at 12,000 miles. GM put new lifters and a cam in, but it was a PIA waiting for parts in COVID times. I would have been pissed if it wasn't under warranty. It would be hard to go back to a 5.3, but I will say my Dad's latest 5.3(2022) has a lot more snort that the older ones for sure. As far as long-term mileage averages it's hard for me to get a good reading because enclosed trailers and boats are pulled a lot. If you drive nice and it's not windy, you can pull 20-23mpg on the highway.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member

From 07 to 2010 5.3 oil consumption issues until Gm switched to semi synthetic dexos 1 or full synthetic last information i received.

Lifter issues were with ealier 6lit engines,the new 6.6lit gas,no issues as far as i know.6.2 has proven bullet proof,in 1500 pickups,high end suv's,corvettes, camero..

GM builds this power train in very limited production, f ing feds,epa ...all about fuel economy, sure fuel economy is great but ppl purchase vehicles with larger power trains for a purpose,fuel economy we live with good or bad is my take.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
My sources told me 6.6 liters were built to last. All engines now days have are so tight with tolerances you really cannot depend on anything anymore. Our govt is pushin green so hard and it is costing the average person with repair bills.

I would be curious to see -- did gm replace both sides on ahab. I have heard they only do one side --- kinda like when they did my 07, they when thought 15 different steps including replacing the baffles, then pistons and then finally a pallet with a new engine.

Lifters were made during covid is what i heard. lack of good staff at a little shop that makes them.

I had an opportunity to drive a 6.2 with a unloaded toon trailer. It doesnt snap back your head like my 3.5 did -- but it makes cool bunch of noise.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine was bad enough to hurt the camshaft so they did both sides. Otherwise I heard they just did one side. I would have not been happy with that. I heard they were short on there normal lifter source so the got a bad batch out of Mexico. Not sure if that’s true…

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine was bad enough to hurt the camshaft so they did both sides. Otherwise I heard they just did one side. I would have not been happy with that. I heard they were short on there normal lifter source so the got a bad batch out of Mexico. Not sure if that’s true…
I have also gotten bad batches out of Mexico, but it just gave me the bloody shits for a few days.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
My sources told me 6.6 liters were built to last. All engines now days have are so tight with tolerances you really cannot depend on anything anymore. Our govt is pushin green so hard and it is costing the average person with repair bills.

I would be curious to see -- did gm replace both sides on ahab. I have heard they only do one side --- kinda like when they did my 07, they when thought 15 different steps including replacing the baffles, then pistons and then finally a pallet with a new engine.

Lifters were made during covid is what i heard. lack of good staff at a little shop that makes them.

I had an opportunity to drive a 6.2 with a unloaded toon trailer. It doesnt snap back your head like my 3.5 did -- but it makes cool bunch of noise.

Agreed,the 6.2 with standard 3.42 gears is nothing to brag about,not sure what curb weight is but over 6k lbs,looking for 6.2 performance, gotta upgrade to max trailering with 3.73 gears,more torq makes a big difference, few dealers have well trained staff,they just want sales bottom line.

Recent slow production,is hurting most dealers,infact the dealer that deliverd my retirement truck,i witnessed older sales ppl practicing lying to each other...lol

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed,the 6.2 with standard 3.42 gears is nothing to brag about,not sure what curb weight is but over 6k lbs,looking for 6.2 performance, gotta upgrade to max trailering with 3.73 gears,more torq makes a big difference, few dealers have well trained staff,they just want sales bottom line.
Sales gotta be tough when most on the lot are the 2.7

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed feds,epa putting the screws to ppl that need and use our trucks.

I remember mid 80s ,GM was forced to eliminate the 350v8 for a few years

Infact GM tried converting the 350 block to diesel,great milage when they didnt break down,down right horse

shit in cold weather.

Then by late 80's reintroduce the 350 with fuel injection,200hp jumped to 250hp,throttle body injectors replaced 2barrel carb.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66