Go to fishing reel

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I own too many reels that are in constant use by 8 - 11 year olds to even think of buying Stradics, etc. I tend to buy lower end reels and run them until the bail falls off, lower end as in the $25 to $65 range. In that category, the Shimano's were good reels until about 7-8 yrs ago. Then I started having a lot of trouble with the bails on them. I switched over to some $25 Mitchell reels and had pretty good luck (2-4 yrs of hard service) with them and still have a few that are approaching 6 yrs old.

As of late I have been going more and more to the Pflueger offerings in the President line, so far I have no complaints.

I guess in my world, I'd rather take quantity over quality for the time being. Kids are tough on fishing gear, as am I, and neither of us have time for reel maintenance.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think its hard to beat the Shimano's. I've used the Symetre, Stratic, Sustain, Stella and none have ever let me down. My dad has a Stradic that must be close to 20 years old and its still going strong. None of these have really been abused though, always in a boat. I also have Sedonas and Siennas on my ice rods. I do have a Pflueger Supreme on my jigging rod that has been good, and an old Pinnacle deadbolt that is still going strong after 15 years of abuse. They key is to keep them out of the sand.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
yesterday, just for you I pulled two rapalas and two reef runners the whole time I pulled cranks. guess what? that's right no fish on the raps, all on the reefs. It was hilarious. But I gave it the old college try. And yea, buckbrush taking over my fifteen acre horse pasture is the devil.

Pretty sure Tordon will fix your brush problem. It smokes anything woody in the area when I use it to control leafy spurge.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
shimanos from the sienna on up are nice reliable reels but outside of the Ci4 are too heavy for the uber light rods these days. imo

i have a few pfluegers - president, president xt, supreme, supreme xt, and a patriarch. They've been ok for the most part, drags are nice the xt and the patriarch are very light weight and balance well. I have a quantum smoke on a crank casting rod that has held up really well for a few years now, but the drag is a bit touchy and leaves something to be desired.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
For cheaper reels I like the pflueger supreme... Spending a little more I get the pflueger supreme xt

i have a Stradic and I'm not impressed... I had a Abu for years and I wish I knew the model because every one sine has sucked

for line counters I love my diawa sealines... Don't bother with am okuma

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think its hard to beat the Shimano's. I've used the Symetre, Stratic, Sustain, Stella and none have ever let me down. My dad has a Stradic that must be close to 20 years old and its still going strong. None of these have really been abused though, always in a boat. I also have Sedonas and Siennas on my ice rods. I do have a Pflueger Supreme on my jigging rod that has been good, and an old Pinnacle deadbolt that is still going strong after 15 years of abuse. They key is to keep them out of the sand.

The old Pinnacle Deadbolts were great reels. I have a DB25 and DB30 that I could use today. Heavy though, and the anti-reverse only kicks in at a certain part of the bail rotation. But they were really something, in the day. And yup, keep 'em out of the sand.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5