Good Grief, Early Goose Season is just over a month away!!!!!!!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy Crap am I behind the curve here. I have about 10 dozen decoys to clean, reflock, and get ready to hunt. I have to re-camo my blind and make sure that's ready. I need to inventory my ammo supply and restock as needed. And most of all, I need to get my daughter behind the trigger as she'll be shooting at geese for the first time this fall. WOW!!!! I'm starting to act like somebody that fishes or something like that.....I can't remember.............................

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Can't wait. Waterfowl is my fav for hunting. Followed closely by archery deer.

Seeing geese/ducks set their wings and glide in is such a rush.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep cant wait. better start getting some clays to shoot at. haven't shot the versamax much since it got put away after spring snow goose. Need to move the grain cart outta the shed to get to the decoys too. And order a couple cases of shells. And clean out blinds after last fall. and wash the decoys. and find all my calls.

Better quit typing and get to work;)

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I better get this house remodeling done so I can go hunting. Let me know if u need help with decoys KDM and I'll come over and drink your beer and help.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Flocking Decoys"

A guy ALMOST can't say that in good company. (grin)

squirrel92

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have been seeing lots of juvenile eater geese around. Should be a good early season smack down on the locals who massacre the bean fields.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is a good start to load up on ammo~

SAVE $50 PER CASE ON HEVI-METAL AND $100 PER CASE ON SPEED BALL!
While many are planning their backyard BBQ's and family get together's I am planning on a review of my decoys and my plans for fall waterfowl season. I can't wait, it's getting closer every day!
To help you get stocked and ready for season we are offering a $50 a case rebate on HEVI-Metal and $100 a case rebate on Speed Ball with NO LIMIT!
In order to access the rebate slip, please click on "Freedom Rebate" below and print. You can also print the rebate form off of our FaceBook page; Instagram Page or you can always call us at 541-367-3522 and we will mail one out to you right away!
(Please note - if you purchased a case (or two) during our Father's Day promo please email us at sales@hevishot.com

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone still use the old shell style decoys from the 80's? I have some that I was thinking of clearing out as geese in Dickinson are almost as rare as a person with all their teeth.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone still use the old shell style decoys from the 80's? I have some that I was thinking of clearing out as geese in Dickinson are almost as rare as a person with all their teeth.

Hahaha, I see lots of toothy people, but the bubble butt, belly, thighs, and kankle chicks are taking over.

Why must a chick with a 300 lbs. rear end wear stretch pants? why for gods sake why.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still just use a dozen super magnum shells for ducks and geese.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup,I'm with enslow,early season geese get the "B" team dekes,young and dumb and easy to decoy with shells and silhouetts.Later in the year shells make good filler dekes in the spread as well.

squirrel92

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shells work great when you have to carry in decoys if it's too wet or if the field is plots you can't drive on it (which is stupid if you are only driving to bring the decoys in and out I think). I had some friends get pinched on it before.

Last edited:

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't been able to waterfowl in several years. Kids are wanting to go and learn so hopefully my wife has room in the trailer when they head back from Ohio in a couple weeks for the handful of decoys I didn't give to my buddies. I had forgotten how expensive this sport can be, lol. There will be no decoy trailer or new shotgun or new decoys anytime soon and that is fine; I look forward to sitting in some cattails with the 2 oldest and getting them hooked like I was.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
what is the best shot to use over the decoys for early honkers. 12 gauge 3"

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blue box federal 3 inch 2 shot or bb is what I use. Doesn't matter what size you use. If u don't hit them hard they just keep on going

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use Blue Box 3" BB all year long. 96 honkers fell to it in 2013, 76 in 2014, and the 2015 goal is 100. Late season, you definitely need to let them get in close though. Wish I could still use 2 lead. That stuff hits like an oversized cast iron anvil.

squirrel92

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to use Winchester cheapo 3-1/2" 2's in the early season and step up to BB in the later season. Most people say 3-1/2" shells are unneccesary but I like them. Cheap cases = cheap fun.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to use Winchester cheapo 3-1/2" 2's in the early season and step up to BB in the later season. Most people say 3-1/2" shells are unneccesary but I like them. Cheap cases = cheap fun.

If your gun is a 3-1/2, those shells are quite necessary. LOL!! On certain days, my hunting pards with 3.5's definitely drop more of those longer range birds than I do with my 3's. More BB's equates to more strikes. You can't argue with the numbers if all things are equal.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76