Good stuff

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://bismarcktribune.com/news/sta...-fb991c5138fa.html#tncms-source=home-latest-3

[h=1]North Dakota deputy sheriff must pay fine for shooting deer with handgun

WATFORD CITY – A complaint filed by a North Dakota Game and Fish Department warden made the claim that McKenzie County Deputy Sheriff Maxwell Ingram used a firearm to kill a deer during the archery season. At a change of plea hearing in Northwest District Court Tuesday, Ingram entered a guilty plea to a lesser charge.[/h]

Ingram had entered a written plea of not guilty in March to "unauthorized methods of taking game birds and game animals," a Class B misdemeanor punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a $1,500 fine. Tuesday Ingram entered a guilty plea to "orders and proclamations of Governor-Game, Fish & Furbearer," which carries a maximum fine of $250.

Investigation showed that Ingram, who was in possession of an archery license, used a handgun to dispatch the deer on Oct. 22, 2016. Ingram reportedly told the investigating game warden that he had hit the deer with two arrows before firing at the deer with his pistol. The warden recovered a handgun bullet from the animal.

The court ordered Ingram to pay fines and fees of $250. The court also stipulated that Ingram is on unsupervised probation through April 24, 2018, and have no violation of any Game and Fish law for a period of six months.

Last edited by a moderator:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good Lord. Where does that office find thee people?

Without knowing the particulars, it is possible that the guy ran out of arrows and didn't want to see the deer suffer. However, I would just have owned up to it, paid the fine, and hit the archery range for some obviously needed practice. I know I've sat on the side of the road and watched a vehicle hit deer suffer until "A badge" showed up and it turned my stomach as I was FULLY capable of ending it, but couldn't. That said, to plead not guilty and try to cover it up leaves some questions. Not the smartest move, but without info on why, I have to withhold throwing the book at the guy.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed. If the deer is laying there screaming for example, that would be tough

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agree that there may be more to the story than the article states. He might not have offered what really happened right from the get go but he did own up to the charge and didn't fight the charge in a court adding to the cost of the trial. Do have a question as to why the judge ordered him to have no more G&F violations for a full 6 months. I kind of thought all of us were supposed to never have such a violation.

I've hunted for close to 60 years and don't like to see game laws broken but do realize it happens. Sometimes innocently. Was there when a young hunter was shooting at a buck and missed but killed the doe close by. No buck tag but luckily someone in our party had a tag. Shoot the last duck to fill a limit and kill 2 with one shot. Shoot at a nice big greenhead and kill the hen next to the drake. Already had my limit of hens. If he already had 2 arrows in the deer and was just trying to finish it off I can understand his thinking but everyone has to realize that is a violation. I know, all of the examples were preventable and the responsibility of the hunter but just trying to show that not every shot goes where we planned.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
R.E. The six month thing suggests that some of the penalty has been suspended. If he gets another violation in that timeframe, the suspended part of the penalty for this violation gets enforced.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree that there may be more to the story than the article states. He might not have offered what really happened right from the get go but he did own up to the charge and didn't fight the charge in a court adding to the cost of the trial. Do have a question as to why the judge ordered him to have no more G&F violations for a full 6 months. I kind of thought all of us were supposed to never have such a violation.

I've hunted for close to 60 years and don't like to see game laws broken but do realize it happens. Sometimes innocently. Was there when a young hunter was shooting at a buck and missed but killed the doe close by. No buck tag but luckily someone in our party had a tag. Shoot the last duck to fill a limit and kill 2 with one shot. Shoot at a nice big greenhead and kill the hen next to the drake. Already had my limit of hens. If he already had 2 arrows in the deer and was just trying to finish it off I can understand his thinking but everyone has to realize that is a violation. I know, all of the examples were preventable and the responsibility of the hunter but just trying to show that not every shot goes where we planned.

Meh to me he only plead guilty once he got the sweetheart deal of a 250 fine, wonder if he lost his hunting privileges and the deer in question meat or rack or both as well, and the firearm and ammo like should happen. would the state confiscate a state owned weapon and put it in the auction?#$%^&>

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would guess he pled guilty to a non-criminal violation which would mean he probably didn't lose any of his equipment, kept the deer, and probably kept his hunting privileges as well. Probably wouldn't have when that way for a normal citizen.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
For misdomenears if you plead guilty your automatically sentenced. If you plead not guilty you get a chance to talk to the DA and can negotiate a end result. I took from the article that he told the warden he shot it.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got this in the mail along with a neg rep and I don't usually comment on stuff like this, but this made me belly laugh.

If this isn't the book I feel bad for the guy you do throw it at. Is there a topic you're not a world renowned authority on? I bet you're a hoot around the campfire with all your opinions

Thank you for the entertainment whoever you are. I just got back from pheasant hunting and whiffed an easy one so your comment was well timed. To answer your questions, There are lots of topics I'm not a world renowned authority on, but I'm hoping NDA will change that as this sites popularity is growing so maybe my renoundness will too. As far as being a hoot around the campfire with my opinions, you'll just have to show up for the Bullhead Tourney and find out or ask those who've been here. Thanks again!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84