Goose opener

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
i love sitting on a fenceline with no decoys and hammering them before they get to the guys set up on a hill with 2000 dollars worth of equipment on the ground. Its makes me so happy.

That right there is a sconi move or just setting up in the same field between the guys that got there first and the roost.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats a smart move. If i set up first the sconis will set up between me and the water. Plus the birds come up the ravines where i hunt and come over the fence about 15 yards high. Sometimes i set decoys but usually end up running to another ravine where the lines of birds are coming. Also half the time these fields are bean fields and i dont like setting up in flat bean fields.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
last time i did a field hunt for geese, there were two groups in the field already, non related parties, well we'd come from a far, the field was 160 acres of wheat stubble if i remember right, and we werent/arent 'pros', so we decided just to set up on the far-ish edge, we proceeded to get a few. the guys in the middle did the best, and the guys on the other side got a few too. i dont know, no yelling happened, and there was shooting for all. it was fun watching the middle group drop em and be their own bird dogs too :)

we left early, cuz thats the kind of group we are, and the middle group was still shooting

litereally our only trip for the year, we werent going to go home as im sure some of you would suggest.....................

blaze away

oh, and i could see this happening again this year in a field near you! Thumbs Up

Last edited:

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
man I really didn't mean for this to turn into days of our lives nodak style. Dean if you want to dismiss everything I've said that's your right to do so. I really don't give a shit. I don't need to flash my big dick credentials to prove that I'm man with hair on chest and shit. I was just trying to give you another angle to think about other than shrugging your shoulders and saying "I guess they wanted to change what they were doing today and it had nothing to do with the 5 spreads and commotion coming from an area that has been quiet for the last 2 weeks". I and every other hunter has hunted those fields. those birds have probably been hunted in that same field every opener for the last 10 years. oh and by the way they were back in the section you hunted on sunday morning already.. . . . explain that. . . . the fact of the matter is they are birds. there only goal is survival. they can be killed more easily on days when mother nature puts them at more of a disadvantage than on a normal day. wind, snow, fog, cold. but when they have had all season to build fat and energy reserves, the aquatic food is still at there will and the weather is more conducive to golfing than hunting I would say the birds sometimes have the upper-hand and can be better suited for surviving than other days. maybe saying it like that sounds better than calling a dumb bird smart or able to think. whatever you want to call it you got outsmarted by geese. we all have

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wheres rainbow unicorn to lighten the mood? Haha. Relax guys, its hunting season finally! On a good note, the limit of speks was raised to three this year!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
What in the hell are you rambling on about. as I stated already but apparently you guys suck at caching semantics through an internet forum without a bunch of smiley faces to show you which way to go. Good lord I was agreeing with you that that's a possible answer....especially for that group. have never seen it anywhere else to that extent but it is a possibility in that spot. As for the geese now i know they are up in that section.... There was around 50 there when we left there sat. By the last hour any bird getting to where we were set up were already setting up on them! I love how you bring up the big dick thing when its you guys debating with emotion instead of facts. like discussing politics with a liberal peoe can't seem to separate the two! guess what your idea is a complete hypothesis with only anecdotal evidence to back it up. mind you 99% of everything involving wildlife falls into that category so anytime you try to deal with absolutes it's pretty much foolish. If you want to debate this in person face to face lets meet at a bar and talk geese and why we think they do what they do! I'll be more than up for that and I bet you would find we view things from the same side....sense in the end all we're doing is debating semantics and things that there is no way to prove. Seriously let's I would love to meet you and the other guys on here...especially you since you seem to look for the answers to these questions outside of the normal line of thinking and that's not to common.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would dean but the last time I met up with some guys who wanted to chat waterfowl they tried to get me join delta waterfowl and go to DU banquets. . . :;:cheers not my cup of tea. . . . there really aren't any facts to any of this, I was just stating my opinion on some experiences and offered an outside the box theory that you could kick around in your head the next time your roost goes oppo on you.

- - - Updated - - -

In reality though I've never met a beer I didn't like. as long as there isn't any propositions to become a DU or Delta member ( I like not getting kicked off land for having DU stickers) I'm down. I'm always interested in hearing what others have to say about geese or there secret area's :;:thumbsup sometimes I know where they hunt when they describe a water or field.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some days ya get em, some days ya dont. Moral of the story: dont let a freaking bird/day meant to be enjoyed get your panties in a bunch is all im getting out of all this.. Pray for wind, fog, clouds, drizzle or hungry dumbass birds that could give an eff; otherwise a lot can be out of your hands this early or any bluebird day for that matter!
High traffic/clover-leaf flying pattern areas along with the migration are your best friends if none of the above. Happy fowling boys!:;:thumbsup

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the 3 years I've hunted geese, yes only 3 years, I have learned only one hard and fast fact about geese. THE GEESE ARE NEVER WRONG!!!! If they see something they don't like, they slide, flare, hold short, or just keep going. When birds don't finish, it is my humble opinion, that the problem is NOT the geese, it's the spread. It's to tight, to loose, not on the X, blinds exposed, spent shells out of the blind, someone peeked, decoys tipped over, etc, etc, etc. When I have birds slide or flare or whatever, I get out of the blind and try to find out WHY. Usually, I can spot at least one mistake we've made and the geese saw it as well. The birds tell you when you have a goof up. Once I discovered that the birds are NEVER WRONG!! My hunting success went way way way up. Good Luck Guys!!!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do the early season geese still taste like donkey ass? hahaha

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone been out scouting lately? Did a bit of a half ass run starting about 40 north of 94 and zig zaged my way south. Found a fair few groups but they all fell into one of two groups. Group one would be a good sized flock but invariably they would be far too close to the roost to have any real chance of a consistent hunt without blowing the roost all to hell. and group 2 tended to be in perfect places for hunting they just unfortunately lacked any real numbers of birds. Hard to get much ambition to set up on 40.....even solo!

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no problem setting up on 40 birds if I'm by myself. A lot of times u will get enough traffic birds to come over on top of the ones that were in the field.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's the problem with the two 40 birds fields is they have almost zero shot at any other birds coming by. If there was a real shot at birds criss crossing the field that would make a big difference.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no problem setting up on 40 birds if I'm by myself. A lot of times u will get enough traffic birds to come over on top of the ones that were in the field.

Ditto. Some of my best hunts have been fields with a dozen geese or less. For whatever reason, we managed to pull in birds the next morning that I'd never seen scouting. Not always, but I'd rather set up somewhere with geese, regardless of how many, than with no geese.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody headed out tomorrow? Looks like the rain may hamper some hunts. I hope the pressure will not be too crazy in my area......sounds like everyone and their brother has taken up the sport of goose hunting lately

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 13
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 4