Goose opener

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just seen the first couple small grain fields coming down today. Looks like the birds might have more than a couple days to find the fields this year.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
With all the little ones I've seen across the state, it should be an above average early season.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't see this thread when I posted mine. Had the first group of airborne honkers drop into the yard just now. Most fields I've seen are around a week out before straight cutting.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
wow, I would guess out west we are a good couple weeks till the small grains come off. At least what I have seen.
Some of the corn is still only knee high, and the flowers are far from grace.

Been so effing full of smoke filled air around here that I don't think we have received enough heat units.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Getting pumped not just for early goose, but for hunting in general! My goal one day this fall is to shoot limit of geese and or ducks, then proceed to shoot 3 pheasants, and then finish the day with some fall walleyes. Triple slam challenge anyone? Haha

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Getting pumped not just for early goose, but for hunting in general! My goal one day this fall is to shoot limit of geese and or ducks, then proceed to shoot 3 pheasants, and then finish the day with some fall walleyes. Triple slam challenge anyone? Haha

Oh man, gimme a call when you feel that day coming. I'm in!

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh man, gimme a call when you feel that day coming. I'm in!

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Will do if I can find the right areas this fall to actually try and complete it in one day! For the most part my hunting and fishing spots are spread far apart. Would be tough to pull off and I commend if anyone can do or has done it! [/COLOR]

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shouldn't be that hard to do. Hell find the right spot on the river and you may not even have to move!

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's all of your guys go to goose call looking at picking up a short reed

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The straight meat honker is one of the easiest ones to learn on and can go pretty deep. in the end the majority of all shore read calls are the same call with a different outside the guts are all made by only a couple different manufacturers.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im not even bringing a goose call. Its gonna be like shooting doves.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone got plans to go out on opening day and decoy? A co-worker and I are planning on going out but have no clue where we are going to go yet. Haven't sat in decoys or blown a goose call in 13 years so we may just be puddle jumping.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seen my first flock of the year headed to a stubble field today. I will be out on opening day.

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will be in the decoys Saturday and Sunday for sure will find a field to hunt come hell or high water going to scout this weekend and will probably scout Wednesday through the weekends I'm beyond pumped to be back out laying in the decoys

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should have my 5 lbs of flocking tomorrow to touch up the deks, hitting the grain fields for some fresh straw camo for the blind, and taking an ammo inventory. I've seen my fair share of geese flying around so hopefully find a few to knock down on opener.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

Done it about 10 years ago, all within 5 miles from my house. Started with geese, then hit a couple spots for pheasants on the way home. After cleaning them, I was napping while my stepson took the 4-wheeler to the river. He came back and wake me up and said he had his limit, so I went down and we got my 5. They were nice fish too.

Oh and they are knocking down wheat in Fort Yates area, for more than a week now.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should have my 5 lbs of flocking tomorrow to touch up the deks, hitting the grain fields for some fresh straw camo for the blind, and taking an ammo inventory. I've seen my fair share of geese flying around so hopefully find a few to knock down on opener.

Holy crap 5 pounds! You must be planing on flocking hundreds of decoys!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74