Grocery trip with da wife...

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
And I had to squeeze the cheeks to keep from filling my drawers. Holy Guacamole.......$2.55 for a can of cambells soup. 2 bucks for flavorite cream of mushroom soup and it just got worse the more isles I went down. $2 lb for apples and 3 bucks for a bag of baby carrots. How in the H.E. double toothpicks can folks afford to eat?? Hamburger (80/20) at $3.89 lb and whole chicken at $2.53 lb. 3.27% interest rate my big white fuzzy, but extremely fit and attractive........BUTT. I worry about folks in these times. Carry On!!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
But but,"bidenomics " is working, slow joe says so.

Agreed KDM,squeeze those butt cheeks tight.

Tailend of watermelon season,sheet my pants purchasing 1/2 seedless melon,$10.99! FM!

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
And I had to squeeze the cheeks to keep from filling my drawers. Holy Guacamole.......$2.55 for a can of cambells soup. 2 bucks for flavorite cream of mushroom soup and it just got worse the more isles I went down. $2 lb for apples and 3 bucks for a bag of baby carrots. How in the H.E. double toothpicks can folks afford to eat?? Hamburger (80/20) at $3.89 lb and whole chicken at $2.53 lb. 3.27% interest rate my big white fuzzy, but extremely fit and attractive........BUTT. I worry about folks in these times. Carry On!!
That’s why people shop at Walmart. Albertsons is almost twice the price of Walmart. Walmart brand soup $1, cambells soup$1.50, baby carrots $1.24 , why shop anywhere else?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Add insurance ,a house payment, car payment, child care, $4 a gallon gas, clothes , taxes, toys and the list goes on. Sad to think about but I agree with Zogman that it's going to get worse .

Then there is a generation gap between the survivors of the great depression and most young couples just starting out raising a family. A lot of them have never had to live a frugal lifestyle and they wouldn't know where to start so the bills keep piling up until it's time to pay the piper.

I'm just happy to be retired and on the way down the hill . Wife and I had parents that grew up poor as dirt in on the farm the 30s and we learned about the art of making something from almost nothing. A big garden and a lot of canning and sewing. I suppose we could pretty much live off the land if we wanted to or had to. Iv'e been teaching our grandkids as much as I can about gardening because one of these generations the wheels might fall off the wagon and those could be valuable skills.

As long as it happens slowly people will have a better chance to adapt but what if someone could disable or scramble the internet for a year or 2 ? I'm not sure if the electric grid, stores , gas stations even the new tractors and vehicles would be able to operate .

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to be massive amounts of bankruptcies in the very near future. Probably record setting number. Credit card companies will have to be bailed out by the tax payers. Shit is about to hit the fan. But hey, the dems say everything is all duckies and bunnies

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm like some of you. It hasn't really hit me as I'm retired and not broke, Do worry about some younger and raising a family with these costs. Remember when gas hit $0.50 a gallon and we wondered how would we survive. But we did and I'm pretty sure many will survive this one. Just going to be difficult and some adjusting to get thru the tough times.

Do wonder who is making the money with these prices. Don't think it's many of the local business men and women as I'm pretty sure they are paying increased prices and then sending them on without any net income increase on their part. It's not the farmers and ranchers when you look at their costs. Hasn't been a big increase in the price of oil that I know of that merits an increase in gas and diesel.

grin and bear it I guess and hope it doesn't go on too long.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure how we went from grocery- getter type vehicles transformed into ppl having full size Suburbans, Denali's Yukon's etc etc?????? Not sure how many families are affording these full size grocery getter, kid haulers but there sure seem to be alot more of them around these days.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rarely set foot in local grocery stores as wife is gracious enough to do most of the grocery shopping. That said, I stopped by store last week to pick up a few items for an upcoming outing at DL. Similar experience to KDM. Not sure how folks that are on limited / fixed incomes like SS, are able to make ends meet given current gas prices, groceries, etc. To add insult to injury, we (along with many others) received a statement from Burleigh County suggesting our real estate taxes were projected to increase by 22%!! That is on top of a significant increase the last two years. Time to clean house at local, state, and national level IMO.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure how we went from grocery- getter type vehicles transformed into ppl having full size Suburbans, Denali's Yukon's etc etc?????? Not sure how many families are affording these full size grocery getter, kid haulers but there sure seem to be alot more of them around these days.
Loans with low interest rates for 7 years, variable rate credit cards from every store, minuscule monthly payments required, and viola........LOTS of consumer debt. Young people were buried under mountains of debt before they knew what life was like and many businesses, colleges, and banking institutions couldn't dig the holes and shovel dirt on top of them fast enough. Now the piper has to be paid and the pain is going to be substantial. Tough way to learn if you ask me. Like I said, I worry about folks.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mrs johnr and I are in the highest income we have ever been, and putting a kid through school and one on the way. I am maxing out my retirement, running the same boat for 15 years now, pickup is 11 years old, work truck is new but a necessity, and feel like we are in a good place, then suddenly I feel like I will never be able to retire with one trip to the market and a nice meal out.
Sucks when one cart of groceries is $350, and a steak and a few drinks are $200 for the 2 of us.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Imagine the super old people that are on a tight fixed budget. Those are the ones feeling the squeeze.
Old people don't eat much.

They tried to get rid of the old with Covid but it didn't work as well as they planned so now their plan is to raise prices to the point they can't afford food and starve them to death.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mrs johnr and I are in the highest income we have ever been, and putting a kid through school and one on the way. I am maxing out my retirement, running the same boat for 15 years now, pickup is 11 years old, work truck is new but a necessity, and feel like we are in a good place, then suddenly I feel like I will never be able to retire with one trip to the market and a nice meal out.
Sucks when one cart of groceries is $350, and a steak and a few drinks are $200 for the 2 of us.
*a few drinks

...muahaha...
no more top shelf booze for you bub - Bud Light from now on

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
But but,"bidenomics " is working, slow joe says so.

Agreed KDM,squeeze those butt cheeks tight.

Tailend of watermelon season,sheet my pants purchasing 1/2 seedless melon,$10.99! FM!
I gave up on the melons when they eclipsed the $5.69 mark

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88