Grocery trip with da wife...

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is an honest ?. Family fare is owened by spartan nash correct? I have 3 sons who compete in various youth sports in Bismarck and I may be wrong but when was the last time spartan nash or dans sponsored anything? I honestly can’t say I’ve seen them on any youth sports but again I could be wrong. If they supported more local things I maybe would still go there but are they really “ locally owned” more than Walmart?????

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Quick google search has spartan nash owning 144 stores across 12 states yeah. For the I support local crowd … their hardly local……

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walmart and other large companies often attribute their success or failure based on the hidden cost of logistics. They, of course, also have much greater negotiating power with suppliers, but the logistics of expanding a market presence for chain/franchise restaurants can make or break a company.
I was told a few years ago that walmart told pepsi in Williston that they wanted to sell some product at a certain price and pepsi was to lower their cost to walmart. pepsi refused and for a long time you could not buy pepsi products at the Williston walmart.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
You won't see spartan Nash personally sponsor anything locally. You will see their supplied and locally-owned stores sponsor plenty. Don't look to what they themselves sponsor. Look to what their supplied stores sponsor.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Of course they are. They are the single biggest grocer in the US I assume. They better be. And they are also most likely to have shit about to spoil to give away. Regardless, the support for them considering what they have done to small town America so people can save a few $$$ is near sighted IMHO.

Last edited:

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was at Pizza Ranch other day and it was closing time, I ask what they did with all left over food for day. In garbage because they don't want to deal with some place getting the food and going bad or handled wrong and people getting sick being suid by them. So, I ask because I knew a place to take it to and wanted plain boxes and I would say nothing. Some people ate good that day. Typical America get free food and think they are going to sue if any troubles. I am sure a lot of other place's is the same.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Of course they are. They are the single biggest grocer in the US I assume. They better be. And they are also most likely to have shit about to spoil to give away. Regardless, the support for them considering what they have done to small town America so people can save a few $$$ is near sighted IMHO.

I get that, I really do. But companies like Spartan Nash should be able to do a better job of coming close to Walmart's pricing. I'm not saying they need to beat it, just be closer than what I've been seeing as of late. I'd spend 10% extra to buy all my stuff from the local grocery stores in Bismarck, but the last time I bought dry or frozen goods from them it was an amazingly expensive shopping experience. So, I'll probably continue to buy dry goods from Walmart and go to the local grocery stores Dan's and Cashwise for produce and meat (although Sam's is pretty good with those).

It's hard to blame people for saving money by traveling to the big cities for a Walmart/Target/Sams/Costco shopping trip when you are paying $9 for a single bottle of ketchup, but you can get 3 bottles of the same ketchup from Sams Club for about the same price.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
are all the products the same at walmart as other stores? or are they made for walmart?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
are all the products the same at walmart as other stores? or are they made for walmart?

I think there's some of each. A box of Lucky Charms is the same between Walmart and locally owned stores, but they each have their own generic brands. I can't think of a specific item that is name brand and Walmart specific, but it's really apparent at Sam's Club. I remember reading a story a few years ago about a pickle manufacturer that signed a bad contract with Sam's for supplying a specific sized/type of pickle only to be driven to bankruptcy (or, at least the brink of it) because Sam's would not let them out of the contract.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What costs $400 at Walmart costs $600 at any local competitor. I shop with the clowns at Walmart. Our carts average about $450 a trip. Ain't easy feeding an army every week.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am pretty frugal. with a few exceptions, i feel like our local store is pretty competitive with wally world. and their generics are at least 2 levels above the wally world brand imho. once ya start shopping things like detergent, personal hygiene, etc... the price gap widens quite a bit. but, i figure i only buy so many toothpastes, pit sticks and shampoo bottles in a year. so, its a sacrifice i am ok with. i will also readily admit that i can probably afford the few hundred extra dollars a year. if that wasn't the case, i would likely have a much different view point. also, we waste almost no food at our house. its rare to see any leftovers of any sort meet the garbage can. so, that makes a difference too i suppose.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife works for Walmart and that does not happen. They are so afraid of being sued for petty things that they throw thousands and thousands of dollars worth of food out instead of donating it. They also have extra stringent rules for stopping shop lifters and most often let them walk out the door rather than face a lawsuit multi thousand dollar lawsuit for a $ 25.00 item. We all can thank sue happy lawyers for the additional costs we all have to pay for everyday products so they businesses can cover their shrinkage.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife works for Walmart and that does not happen. They are so afraid of being sued for petty things that they throw thousands and thousands of dollars worth of food out instead of donating it. They also have extra stringent rules for stopping shop lifters and most often let them walk out the door rather than face a lawsuit multi thousand dollar lawsuit for a $ 25.00 item. We all can thank sue happy lawyers for the additional costs we all have to pay for everyday products so they businesses can cover their shrinkage.
my wife volenteers at a food bank and wal mart semis are unloaded all the time

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen hit it on the head for my situation. Dans easily per month to feed my family is
$600-800or more over Walmart. So it’s a no brainer in the end. All the money ends up in some evil leftists hands anyway.
And seriously someone said dans sponsors a lot can you name any? Not being an ass but name some? I see cloverdale sponsor about everything I see scheels, Sanford , bravera but honestly cannot remember t-shirt or sign that has dans

Greenhorn

Honored Member
Allen hit it on the head for my situation. Dans easily per month to feed my family is
$600-800or more over Walmart. So it’s a no brainer in the end. All the money ends up in some evil leftists hands anyway.
And seriously someone said dans sponsors a lot can you name any? Not being an ass but name some? I see cloverdale sponsor about everything I see scheels, Sanford , bravera but honestly cannot remember t-shirt or sign that has dans
The only thing that comes to mind is Dan’s promotional envelopes at Larks games?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hit the grocery store again as an afterthought on an errand run with the wife and discovered that green/red/yellow sweet peppers are $3 each and cereals can be over $7 a box with most being over $5. (Oi) I think I might need a bigger garden and a greener thumb.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
FB_IMG_1696093091328.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113