Grocery trip with da wife...

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
80% of the women 30 and under don't own Tahoe...it's more than likely leased.
Buddy of mine works for a dealer says things have flipped. People used to buy with a note now a majority lease and won't own.
Are leases really any cheaper? Plus limited to 10,000 miles a year goes fast unless you never leave town

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started tracking my spending about a year ago, average food expense is $400 per month, and I never eat out, go through drive throughs, or get delivery. 95% of food comes from walmart and is the cheap stuff. Disclaimer, I am fat and like to eat... apparently quantity is my priority.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are leases really any cheaper? Plus limited to 10,000 miles a year goes fast unless you never leave town
Only if you can write it off, if not no way. Huge balloon payment up front is issue, to get payments low, like you said if drive more than 10k to 12k hello check book. Bunch of my buddies stayed in oil field back in late 80's and when Bakken first took off crazy than kinda died they gave me names of guys looking to sell their toys cheap that thought the money would never end, was good for me.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Many moons ago I leased a car, wife usually drives the car. Thought it sounded like a good deal. Lease was up and I had nothing to trade. Was planning on paying it off quicker and I was young and didn't realize what paying off a loan was really like.

As mentioned earlier, leases are OK if you can write off the lease payment. For personal use, I'm not a fan.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in 91-93 the wife and I fed us and our two kids on $250 a month. We were dirt poor. We made it work. Now with just her and I we are lucky to be double that

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many moons ago I leased a car, wife usually drives the car. Thought it sounded like a good deal. Lease was up and I had nothing to trade. Was planning on paying it off quicker and I was young and didn't realize what paying off a loan was really like.

As mentioned earlier, leases are OK if you can write off the lease payment. For personal use, I'm not a fan.
A lease is just like renting an apartment. You have nothing to show for it when your done

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm like some of you. It hasn't really hit me as I'm retired and not broke, Do worry about some younger and raising a family with these costs. Remember when gas hit $0.50 a gallon and we wondered how would we survive. But we did and I'm pretty sure many will survive this one. Just going to be difficult and some adjusting to get thru the tough times.

Do wonder who is making the money with these prices. Don't think it's many of the local business men and women as I'm pretty sure they are paying increased prices and then sending them on without any net income increase on their part. It's not the farmers and ranchers when you look at their costs. Hasn't been a big increase in the price of oil that I know of that merits an increase in gas and diesel.

grin and bear it I guess and hope it doesn't go on too long.
I get your point however I think the biggest issue is how fast things went up. It used to be where here and there prices bumped up. Now it seems over night things explode, and not just a small bit. They double sometimes overnight.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get your point however I think the biggest issue is how fast things went up. It used to be where here and there prices bumped up. Now it seems over night things explode, and not just a small bit. They double sometimes overnight.
Correct. I find saying to myself, "why didn't I buy more last time I was here"?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
In 2005 I built a new home. Concrete 1000 gallon septic tanks cost me $750. That same tank today is $2380

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe the main driving factor in everyones decrease in standard of living is the gas prices. Remember before covid when the left insisted burger flippers should have $15 an hour. Well since covid they got their way and does anyone really think their standard of living has gone up? Since trump was in and we had $2 gas when you live in the midwest you have to spend a fair amount just on gas to get around. So your transportation costs have basically doubled. Then consider alot of things you buy come from over seas by ship, increased transportation costs. Every single thing that you purchase all has to get to your store by truck or rail. Everything is going up because of transportation costs. Never mind what it takes to heat your home or factory or place of business with propane or natural gas. All affected by the higher costs. This all started going to hell the first day he got in with the canceling of the keystone pipeline. Then cancelling offshore oil leases, leases on public land. Shutting down oil pipelines in michigan and the east coast. Now He cancelled a bunch of previously approved oil leases in alaska and banned shipping liquified natural gas by rail. All these things have combined to make things worse and the snowball effect that things will probably get worse before they get better. Wait till california goes through with their ban on diesel powered trucks. And they also want to enforce their green emission standards on the ships that carry all our goods back and forth across the sea. Insanity

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
80% of the women 30 and under don't own Tahoe...it's more than likely leased.
Buddy of mine works for a dealer says things have flipped. People used to buy with a note now a majority lease and won't own.
Out west here it is very few leased vehicles, These kids in the right jobs are making bank, like 10x what the east side pays for blue collar, and they love to spend it.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You learn to like pasta and beans and wieners and toast. Stay the hell away from fast food and ice cream shops. LB

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The lease game --- 36 months of lease payments to get the FMV down to a payment that they can somewhat afford to do for another 84 months.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Out west here it is very few leased vehicles, These kids in the right jobs are making bank, like 10x what the east side pays for blue collar, and they love to spend it.
Blue yeah somewhat --- i bet more royalty peoples. Lots of mommy daddy money and royalties.
I went the groc store (in the east) last night and some chick had a maserati parked next to me last night she started that thing up it must have tuned exhaust.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 13
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 4