Gun safe storage area

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm looking at getting a gun safe that's fire proof and water proof? I was wondering how many of you put them in your garage and if you have had any trouble with moisture problems ? I know there are products that you can buy to keep moisture out. Put just don't really want to worry about the what ifs! Any info would be great. Thanks

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just don't put the heavy SOB in the middle of your upstairs floorplan. Fugging things are about as bad as a water bed.

I'd have no issue putting one in a heated garage, even if you didn't heat it to 70 degrees. They sell little heaters (look like oil dipsticks) that you can put in the safe. Or you can go the headachy way of using a desiccant. Note, for our farming friends, I am talking about a real desiccant, not herbicides.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine is in the basement, but have a few friends that have them in their home shops/garages. I think as long as you use the dehumidifier rod, and keep your garage somewhat climate controlled you should be fine.

Every guy I personally know that has a safe outside of the actual house heats the area the safe is in, not sure its necessary, but they have never had any problems with this system.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 33