Gutters

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some people say "do gutter guards", others say they don't work and things will just grow under them anyway.

I have a ton of debris (elm seeds, leaves, twigs) that end up in my gutters and it seems like a no brainer to put them in. The guards can't be worse than what I'm currently dealing with I wouldn't think.

Anyone else have experience? Add them or no?
I have a country home,my house is surrounded under huge trees,silver maple 12' in diameter, 90+ ft tall,some beech waits until mid November then shits a ton of leaves,

Spring elm,shedding brown seeds like snow.

So far no gutter clutter with leaf filter...

My days of climbing ladders are over,thats my assessment.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a big amount of trees in close proximity to my house. when I had the metal roof put on I did new gutters on the front side only and did not install gutters on the back. I installed leaf guards also. The following winter destroyed it all. I'm also done with gutters. Or metal roofs.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm also done with gutters. Or metal roofs.
I've often considered going metal the next time around.

What was it about the metal roofs? Too slick and snow slides down and piles onto gutters?

Is there not a straightforward solution to that problem? You'd think so with all the metal roofs I'm seeing lately.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Forgive me if this is a stupid question but how much havoc does a metal roof wreak with cell and internet service

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Forgive me if this is a stupid question but how much havoc does a metal roof wreak with cell and internet service
None for me, got a cell booster and the wifi is beamed to a little dish outside so no issues at all with the roof.

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
i called ABC seamless and Capitol Exteriors. ABC was way about 6 month lead time and Capitol exteriors came out within a couple weeks. great product, sturdy, and about half the price of ABC. they had a seamless gutter as well rolled right on site.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
i called ABC seamless and Capitol Exteriors. ABC was way about 6 month lead time and Capitol exteriors came out within a couple weeks. great product, sturdy, and about half the price of ABC. they had a seamless gutter as well rolled right on site.
I think what we can glean from this is that ABC has a more successful advertising campaign.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

What was it about the metal roofs? Too slick and snow slides down and piles onto gutters?

Is there not a straightforward solution to that problem? You'd think so with all the metal roofs I'm seeing lately.

Not sure I'd worry about snow slides. There are little "stops" that a person can install to keep the snow from sliding off, but probably not a big enough obstacle to be a problem if you wanted to clean the snow off the roof.

My issue with metal roofing is how loud it is during even a heavy rain. I've known people who claimed their horses went deaf because of a hail storm on a metal roofed barn with no sound insulation.

I own two metal roofs, one on the barn and one on the hangar. I've been in them during a heavy rain and you struggle to have a conversation with the person next to you. So far though, I've not been caught under either during a hail storm of any significance.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own two metal roofs, one on the barn and one on the hangar. I've been in them during a heavy rain and you struggle to have a conversation with the person next to you. So far though, I've not been caught under either during a hail storm of any significance.
purlins or sheathing?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best thing i ever did ,metal roof on my pole barn then half of my house,semi flat roof over my porch and mud room facing south.

I installed 5" gutters,dropped them 2"s below steel roof line,enforced gutters into facia with lag bolts,warm winter days,snow slids right off,couple "s of steel roof over hang to protect gutters.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
20230326_114010.jpg

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member

Yeah, that's exactly what happens. I've tried installing some of those cheap/small snow guards in certain areas i want protected from the slide, but they didnt work either. The next step is to have the angle iron looking pieces put up a long my entire roof.

Metal roofs are also impossible to get on to and work in the winter time. IE shovel snow or unclog sewer vents... In the summer it's hard enough. I have to go up barefoot to get traction.

When the snow does finally let loose in the spring you better make sure your vehicles/grills/kids/animals are out of the way.

I did notice reception decline with the metal roof. We had to up our internet service as well as have the provider install boosters around the inside of our house.

I have not really noticed the noise. They put our metal right over top of the shingles so it's pretty well insulated form noise.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
this goes without saying. but, one other downfall is they can be slippery as hell. especially, once they get a few years of build up and just a tad of moisture on them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88