Handheld GPS units

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those of you using these, what are you guys running? What do you like/don't like about the ones you have had experience with.

Been looking at getting one instead of using my garmin nuvi when we are out by the badlands hunting.

Started looking over the garmin 62s or garmin 64st. Seem like good units.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
mrs johnr bought me one, must be about 12 years ago now, I have used it twice.

I never see the need for it, however I am thinking about marking some spots on the lake this summer to be able to find this winter.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mainly looking at putting the G&F plots map on it so I know where the grassland boundaries are at. That and possibly use it to find my way back to the truck should I lose my bearing.

So far that hasn't happened but dad and I did have a little argument which way was back to the truck one time.

Or to mark the spot of a kill if I have to make a couple trips to get it out.

Last edited:

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really liking my plain 64. Color screen, actual buttons, very fast satellite acquisition. Only difference between the 64 and 64s is that the 64 doesn't have an altimeter and compass. Plug in a Trax map and you are good to go.

b2down

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a Garmin 400T for elk hunting in CO. It acquires quickly and the map features for public/private land is great. I use it all day to track my trail and get back to the tent. I had a Lowrance before this one and there is no comparison.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I won a lowrance endura sierra unit but haven't had time to work with it much yet. Does anyone have any experience with that model? Sorry to hijack the thread

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Lowrance H2O and for the last dew years it keeps losing position. I use it mainly for speed when trolling. I have an older Lowrance black n white tat works better, but have miss placed it. It still works fine.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the price, Oregon 600 is the bomb!

SeisMec

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got the Garmin 62st, I've had it for 7-8 years and don't regret the purchase. With it's large antenna it is very accurate if you like doing geocaching or benchmarking to find NGS survey markers or US Department of Interior Geological Survey Disk. I've had accuracies of 6 foot or less with mine against survey disks. I've used mine in the Gravelly Mountain range in MT for elk hunting with some free overlays that I downloaded and never lost a signal on foot or ATV with very good accuracy. It's easy to download free maps and overlays from gpsfiledepot.com then uploading them on to your handheld with Garmin's Basecamp program. NDGF has a download of the lake overlays that can be uploaded straight onto a Garmin. I believe but am not sure that they also have the current PLOTS and all state land and all hunting unit overlays too as a free download for Garmin's. If I was going to get another handheld today I would stay with a Garmin but go with something with a larger screen to make easier on my tired eyes.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys and yes the g&f has the files to put plots, water contours,etc on the units. Did that on my nuvi that I use in the truck and boat but it doesn't work so well for hiking purposes.

Last edited:

SeisMec

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here are a few useful files off of gpsfiledepot.
My Trails High Quality Trail and POI map. http://gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53/
A map of ND Trails for 100k scale. http://gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/250/
This is a ND topo map. http://gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/145/
An overlay mapset of the US Public Land Survey System (PLSS) grid. http://gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/399/
Over 55 custom waypoint icons. http://gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/691/

Edit here...

Use to be if you bought the home version of Google Earth you were able to upload and download .klm files from it to your Garmin. Plus do trail plotting and other stuff and upload it to your Garmin. Not to sure of that anymore, haven't used it in a few years.

Last edited:

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would look for a Garmin Oregon 600 or a Montana series. Both can be found for a good deal with a little patience. I don't care for the T verisions with the included topo as I usually use a ND Trax chip or out of state chip which includes topo. I have the Garmin Oregon 400 and the biggest complaint is the touch screen sucks. It seems like you really need to tap it hard to get it to work. Looks like the 600 and Montanas screens work much better.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a 5 year old thread. However I'm sure there have been many improvements. So what is newest/best unit for thick timber??? If and when I get up north I want to do some mapping on deer stands in thick woods. Some of you regular Elk hunters must need something like this. THANKS in advance for any recommendations.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75