Hang-On Tree Stand (think light)

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
In preparation for the correctional facility hunt, I'm in need of a lighter hang on tree stand that I can haul out after each sit. Lone wolf and muddy seem to be the best rated but I usually use gorilla and big game hang ons. So, those of you who have had to haul everything in and out each night, what are your thoughts?

I know they haven't announced who has gotten tags, I'd rather be prepared to make a purchase.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your on the right track with LW and Muddy. They are proven. Will hold decent resale value if you decide hauling in an out isn't for you.

Pick the size platform (weight) you are willing to haul in. I hunt using a tree saddle so cant comment first hand on the stands.

You will also need a set of sticks. I own both muddy and LW climbing sticks. Each has there own advantages and disadvantages. The past 3 years I take in 1 Lone Wolf (3 steps) stick and 4 of the muddy sticks (2 steps each). I use the lone wolf at the base of the tree and then the three muddy's as I go up.

I like using the Muddy's as I climb because they have a rope and cleat system, I can throw the rope around the tree without worrying about any metal buckles hitting the stick itself and making noise. The Muddy's also have a step going out each side of the stick. So they feel a bit safer and provide more footing options as you get higher up in the air.

I use the LW stick at the base because I can control the noise better with both feet on the ground and two hands available. The LW is also longer in length so it gets you another 1' or so higher than just using 5 Muddy's.

I only hunt public land so it is what it is, but it does get frustrating sometimes the amount of effort that has to go into each sit. Not to big of a deal when you can hunt close to vehicle, but I like getting away from people. I use a badlands 2200 pack to carry everything. My pack is around 35-40lbs and then a bow in one of the hands. Morning set up in new trees can get interesting as well.

As I am sure you have figured out it is not cheap either. Buying everything new you will be $500 into at a minimum for a nice system.

Last edited:

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the lone wolf stand and sticks for hunting/scouting new areas. Browse archerytalk for the best way to haul a stand and sticks. There is a lot of good information about it on there. Also keep your eye on there for used stands. There are some good deals to be had if you catch them first.

Flinger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe it is doe only out there? I'm not much of a ground blind guy, but for that situation, that is the way id go. I know that is not your question but that is my opinion. I sit until it is dark and don't like to try to take a stand down in the dark, let alone tripping on stuff. Make sure u set your bow off to the side so u don't accidentally drop stand or step on it....

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a set of muddy sticks already. I use them quite a bit but the trees on the river bottoms are too big for the ropes. I'm thinking I'll be walking quite a bit in and out so I'm just trying to get the lightest stand possible and hopefully one that's quick and easy to attach.

After my last harness was stolen, I tried a tree spider and wasn't impressed. I'll be going back to a gorilla harness. Their lineman a belt is great and the harness itself was very comfortable.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it were me I would go with a ground blind. Big trees suck to hang a stand on. I have had good luck just making a natural blind but then u have to worry about the little blood suckers.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately, my ground blind is somewhere on the east coast, maybe even a nice house for a Somalian pirate.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lone Wolf for sure. I have some Gorilla's but they are heavy. I have a couple older Cabelas aluminums that are really light but I don't think they are made any more. The other thing you could do is use any hang on and attach it to your pack. I would use screw in steps and leave them in the tree during the season, if legal.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would an 8 or 10 ft ladder stand work better or are they to heavy to carry in and out?? I don't sit in a tree so I don't really know.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe, while reading the regs, it was posted that you can't leave anything there. I usually start out with two or three screw in steps to maximize my muddy sticks.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am 97% sure all the rules the NDGF have for their management areas were adopted for the MRCC hunt. They also added some more

Only allowed 2 portable tree stands (can leave in tree overnight)
A ground blind can be used from Nov. 3rd to Jan 3rd. (limit 1)
No screw in steps or permanent stands (no damage to trees)
No baiting
No driving past designated parking areas

You are right, those big cottonwoods don't work well for tree stands, I haven't had much luck with packing in and out ground blinds either. Seems like you need to brush them in real good and let the deer get use to them for a few weeks. I would be concerned with theft as well as others using it.

I threw my name in the hat for the hunt as well. Not sure what to think though.. giving 25 people access is a lot for that area. I have hunted it in the past. Maybe most won't give it much effort?? but I don't anticipate an easy hunt with that amount of pressure, not sure how enjoyable it will be either if you always have to deal with other hunters and busted sets. Still wanting to give it a shot though.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am 97% sure all the rules the NDGF have for their management areas were adopted for the MRCC hunt. They also added some more

Only allowed 2 portable tree stands (can leave in tree overnight)
A ground blind can be used from Nov. 3rd to Jan 3rd. (limit 1)
No screw in steps or permanent stands (no damage to trees)
No baiting
No driving past designated parking areas

You are right, those big cottonwoods don't work well for tree stands, I haven't had much luck with packing in and out ground blinds either. Seems like you need to brush them in real good and let the deer get use to them for a few weeks. I would be concerned with theft as well as others using it.

I threw my name in the hat for the hunt as well. Not sure what to think though.. giving 25 people access is a lot for that area. I have hunted it in the past. Maybe most won't give it much effort?? but I don't anticipate an easy hunt with that amount of pressure, not sure how enjoyable it will be either if you always have to deal with other hunters and busted sets. Still wanting to give it a shot though.

Well, if we both get drawn, lets get a game plan together. IF I get drawn, I'm banking on my early wednesday office departures to get me away from crowds.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
No screw in steps? Then I like to use landscaping spikes.
Ladder stand is too clumsy and makes too much noise. Branches and other crap gets tangled in the steps. I have a few but they pretty much get put out and stay for the year. Lone Wolf really makes the best product for what you're after. Others will definitely work, just a little heavier. The other thing I use is the bracket that you leave on the tree. That way you don't have to go through the acrobatics of attaching a stand each time. I have a few of those out and they definitely make attachment easier.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
No screw in steps? Then I like to use landscaping spikes.
Ladder stand is too clumsy and makes too much noise. Branches and other crap gets tangled in the steps. I have a few but they pretty much get put out and stay for the year. Lone Wolf really makes the best product for what you're after. Others will definitely work, just a little heavier. The other thing I use is the bracket that you leave on the tree. That way you don't have to go through the acrobatics of attaching a stand each time. I have a few of those out and they definitely make attachment easier.

I kinda forgot about that bracket deal. I still don't think I'd leave anything in the tree. But, it would sure make it easier to hang it.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hell I would just set up in the wheels of one of the irrigation pivots. Your flattop hunting so need to over think it to much.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just here to update this situation. Got a letter in be mail from rough rider industries detailing the area of hunting, times, parking, etc. also states that 25 applicants have been chosen and they need to be at a meeting one night. No where in this letter does it say that I've been chosen. Anyone else apply get this letter? I have a hard time believing they'd send me info on the meeting if I wasn't chosen.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I receive the same letter. I called them and they confirmed with me that if you got the letter, you were drawn in the lottery. They caught their mistake of not indicating if you were drawn or not after they mailed them out.

I was drawn for this same hunt last year. It can be a tough hunt since it is a long walk across that field. 800 yards or so. I left my tree stand up, but would take my climbing sticks in and out with me every time. Just used a lock on the tree stand and didn't seem like anyone tried to steal it.

Should be an interesting hunt this year. I hope they change some of the rules to make it easier to hunt and remove game.

Odin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another option is the ASAT leafy suit.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105