Honda side-by-side with tracks?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm tired of the sleds and snowmobiles shuffle.

I have access to a Honda 700 series Honda sbs that is two years old. It lacks power steering so I would likely need to add that. No full cab either - just windshield right now I think.

So anyway I'm deciding should I invest time/$$ in getting that rig tracked up and trailered? If so - what brand of tracks? I imagine the 1000 is better and we should consider trading up rather than a power steering add to the 700?

My entire goal is to have everything on the rig - no individual bits/pieces being loaded/unloaded at the start/end of the day. Just trailer down and go fishing - just trailer up and head home.

Or is there some other make/model of sbs that gets along with tracks better and is just an all around better WAY to go vs the Honda?

Thanks!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
or maybe I should just buy a SnoBear and get it over with. And prowl around looking for Enslow on his secret spots.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used a 700 with tracks and no power steering and it actually was not that bad when moving. Here is my list of what, affording what I want is the problem I'm having.

Honda Pioneer 700 or 1000 - Power steering if possible but not deal breaker for me
Camoplast Tracks, would look at new Mat Trax as well
Windshield with plans to add full cab

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
A 700 has more than enough power to run tracks and unless you running in dirt or mud turning with tracks on is not hard when your on snow or ice, power steering does take alot of the jarring out of it though.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
does the honda have a decent cab? I have heard the polaris cabs are not that great.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do NOT get the Honda! Please send me all the info for it by PM. I WANT the Honda.

I don't need a cab. Just the sellers name and number. I have the truck running.

Last edited:

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have power steering on my tracked Suzuki sidekick. Turning around in a tight area stink, but other than that it's OK. I'd go DFK hard cab on a side by side.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have down some casual looking the past month.

Saw that Mattracks is having a 20% sale on tracks for fall 2017 delivery, might want to look into that.

Id say do some looking and reading on the differences between the Honda 700 and 1000. I believe the 700 has been on the market for a longer time and have seen many claim its a workhorse and very reliable even after 5-10k miles. But when comparing it to the newer 1000 it seems doggy, slow, and suspension isn't quite up to the feel of the 1000. I believe the 700 has a rev limiter at around 44mph. Might have to look into the speed reduction of the tracks gear ratio. If its 50% you might have top end speed of 22mph with tracks. Not a huge deal to some but if you plan to make longer runs on decent trails/ice (Lake of the woods) 22mph is going to seem pretty slow.

Downside to the 1000 is seems like a few issues need to be worked out. Water getting into the air intake as well as excessive seat, floor board, and cab heat seem the be the bigger complaints. The transmission (different from the 700) also has some clutches that some believe need to prove reliable before they are willing to say the transmission is better than a belt.

When comparing to the Polaris.... The Honda has an actual transmission (vs belt), has conversion seat in back so can use as box or haul extra passengers. Polaris has the nod on available aftermarket parts and more performance in the 900 and 1000 cc machines compared to the 700.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not sure on the cost of adding PS, not sure it would be worth it, unless it is reasonable. They don't turn that hard without it, but would be the cats ass to have it too.

Outside of this season, my wheeled ranger gets me everywhere I fish out west here, this year a tracked machine was needed most of the season, and now it seems as if the damn ice season might be nearing an end

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
A heated enclosed cab would be nice, but it will add $4-5k. That's a large chunk of additional money.

Finaddict

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy: We have a Polaris 900 with full factory heated cab and power steering. The cab is great, and the heater will drive you out in the highest setting. I wouldn't be without the power steering. I too have been thinking of putting on tracks for the winter, and would need to be able to remove them for the rest of the year. I would prefer that the doors open forward than backward, but they are removable if you would want. You will find that you will use a SXS all the time, no matter what brand. We have always had Polaris, and have been very happy. I also have an ARGO,bought specifically for winter chores and ice fishing, but have found that it is MUCH more difficult to get in and out of, hence rarely used.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Power steering is nice but not necessary on the 700. A guy doesn't need to turn tight going slow most of the time and turning when moving along is not too bad. The 700 has enough power for the tracks but with as much snow making the lakes rough the top speed is about as fast as you could go anyways. Cabs are nice but not necessary as guys on snowmobiles and atv manage ok. If you plan on driving 40mph on the ice you prob don't need the tracks on! That Honda 700 is bulletproof And will last longer with less maintenance than and other side by side brand.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I travel by snowmobile but I have rode on an atv with tracks before and was shocked at how much snow they throw when conditions are right. I wouldnt have a ranger type rig with tracks and not put a cab on it IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

guywhodoesntlikesnowmobilesanymore, you should get yourself something like an alumalight skid house to pull behind your rig. Always thought that would be an awesome set up but fitting both on a trailer would be tricky. Would be great for lake winnipeg tho!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have ran my Polaris Razor for going on 6 seasons with tracks and never felt the need for power steering(more of a luxary than a need IMO). I haven't even changed the belt yet. It's top end speed is down, so I know it is wore down and I will replace before too long though. If you run a SXS you might as well get a cab and heater. BUT

Buy a snobear instead and pick me up.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sidekick, tracker, s10, bronco, liberty, jeep, etc... with tracks all sound more intriguing to me for 50% of the cost.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 49
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 14