Used or new UTV

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I zip around the campground in my ranger, as do most of the neighbors. I would like a golf cart, but it wont take me on the lake in the winter, and a guy has to draw the line somewhere with all these toys.

Ranger will be easier to sell when the time comes too.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys missed the most important part in the OP. He now has an excuse to buy a (previously wanted) UTV. While the golf cart is not a horrible idea, I'd personally go all in with a 4 door Defender hd10. Keep the dream alive!!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We ended up getting a seasonal spot up at the lake this year and the only good i seen in it was it gives me an excuse to buy a UTV for cruising the campground running to the store the beach etc. I have been browsing the classifieds and auctions sites a bit, but not really sure of the "whatever you do don't buy one of these" type machines. My dad has artic cat prowlers and has loved them for what he uses them for, another guy runs rangers and says buy a 1000 but he never keeps them for more than 3 years, another guy said buy one of the off brand cfmoto/odes etc and just keep up on maintenance. Beings i won't use it for anything more than a glorified golf cart for the majority of the year, im not really sold on having the fastest or most powerful rig. Debating between crew cabs, and single cabs with bench seat in the 700-900cc range. Any thing to watch out for or certain brands that are a no go. For example for what they want for a used 800 ranger i could buy a brand new other brand and i have heard from multiple ranger guys the 800's suck and have all kinds of gremlins. Feel free to enlighten me into the UTV/side by side world.
Most of the time when one hears things like this, it is from those who either run it like a rented mule or don't service them like they should.
We had a 2012 800 Polaris Ranger for quite a few years and when we got our Polaris General the kids got our Ranger. Only thing we have ever done to it was spark plugs, drive belt, and rebuilt the clutches once. They are still using it and we used it on the farm for many years prior to that.
Service is the key to many things with motors! Also read the manual until you fully understand it.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Most of the time when one hears things like this, it is from those who either run it like a rented mule or don't service them like they should.........

I would agree to disagree, some machines are simply built better and there's no way around it. The major brands are certainly better than the off brands like odes and such but that's not saying any are super steller, especially with them costing damn near what a small pickup costs.

Frankly, to this day I do not understand why these manufactures keep stuffing these UTV's with shitty 2 cyl. power sports engines coupled up with CVT clutches? They run like trash, are not that smooth, most are hard pressed to see 10k miles if your lucky with out some major work, and overall the reliability sucks. And really, the only reason I can see is for packaging and weight, all to net what, 100-110 hp at the most unless you get a performance turbo machine.

I mean would anybody really give a shit if there Ranger or UTV weighed another 500 lbs if it meant you got an actual automotive style engine and transmission? I know I would be the first in line and I don't think it would be a weight penilty to go that route, if so only because of getting a real transmission instead of a shitty CVT that'll need work before you get to 5k miles. Heck, a 2.0L ecoboost makes 250hp and 270 ft lbs of torque and weighs only 330lbs dry. Even the 1.0L Eco-boost kicks out 125hp and 200 ft lbs of torque and tips the scales a a messily 215lbs. I feel like SxS / UTV owners have been getting screwed for a long time considering what you get for the $$$.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would agree to disagree, some machines are simply built better and there's no way around it. The major brands are certainly better than the off brands like odes and such but that's not saying any are super steller, especially with them costing damn near what a small pickup costs.

Frankly, to this day I do not understand why these manufactures keep stuffing these UTV's with shitty 2 cyl. power sports engines coupled up with CVT clutches? They run like trash, are not that smooth, most are hard pressed to see 10k miles if your lucky with out some major work, and overall the reliability sucks. And really, the only reason I can see is for packaging and weight, all to net what, 100-110 hp at the most unless you get a performance turbo machine.

I mean would anybody really give a shit if there Ranger or UTV weighed another 500 lbs if it meant you got an actual automotive style engine and transmission? I know I would be the first in line and I don't think it would be a weight penilty to go that route, if so only because of getting a real transmission instead of a shitty CVT that'll need work before you get to 5k miles. Heck, a 2.0L ecoboost makes 250hp and 270 ft lbs of torque and weighs only 330lbs dry. Even the 1.0L Eco-boost kicks out 125hp and 200 ft lbs of torque and tips the scales a a messily 215lbs. I feel like SxS / UTV owners have been getting screwed for a long time considering what you get for the $$$.
I was talking about the Polaris Ranger 800. That is what is high-lighted

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have wanted a Honda Pioneer for numerous yrs but just can't get past the shitty fit of their cabs. It is almost embarrassing the gaps that they have "everywhere". To use in fluff snow you would have a cab full of snow guaranteed. Multi billion dollar company and they can't fix that?

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
do some long rides over the weekend. Had a Honda 1000–5. It was good and quiet but had some issues here and there. Switched to the Yamaha Rmax2 1000–2. A bit louder than the Honda but rides like a jeep. Gravel roads, the woman and I will go up to 100 miles occasionally.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was talking about the Polaris Ranger 800. That is what is high-lighted
Yeh, so was I..........They are not the most reliable of machines and I've yet to be impressed with one. Are they better than the Chinese knock offs, absolutely and by a bunch but that's not saying much in this segment. Motors are so so, clutches are garbage, good luck getting more than 3-5k miles before needing to stick a $k into them. As good as the cabs are, at least the crew cabs are still dusty, dirty, and loud. Mater of fact, go bomb some water puddles on the trail and you're legs will be muddy! Take one to the hills and trail ride it and you'll come out dirtier than the guys without cabs. Only the front seat passengers will be comfortable because the back seat is hot as hell as the AC won't keep the whole cab cool on a hot day. Would you like me to go on? I've been around and used many Rangers & Razors including a recent 2020 XP 1000 Northstar edition that was over $30k before adding accessories and can tell you within a couple years, it was a money pit and has since been sold with less than 4k miles on it.

I'd take a Canam, Kawasaki, Yamaha, or Honda over a Polaris SxS every day of the week......... and this is coming from a guy that has Polaris & Arctic Cat snowmobiles! I'm crossing my fingers they are better than they used to be.........

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have wanted a Honda Pioneer for numerous yrs but just can't get past the shitty fit of their cabs. It is almost embarrassing the gaps that they have "everywhere". To use in fluff snow you would have a cab full of snow guaranteed. Multi billion dollar company and they can't fix that?
I have a 2014 Pioneer. Overall, I love the thing, especially when I compare it to the list of Polaris POS my parents have had over the same time. I'd have half the miles (and abuse) on mine if it wouldn't have constantly been pressed into service during calving season as the Polaris went on vacation to the dealership.

One thing about the Pioneer 600, it isn't the best at starting when temps get into the single digits.

I don't have the fully enclosed cab on mine. Half doors, open back end, and a windshield that opens outward for air movement. While I can't comment on how snow-proof the fully enclosed cabs are, I can tell you the setup I have is not what I would prefer if I were to use it more for fishing.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never had a golf cart until we got a place up at the lake. They are very handy, and if bought used are allot more affordable than a utv.
My family and friends all ranch, all started out in the 90s with polaris. I don't know anyone that owns a polaris any more for work. All have Can ams, then some hondas and a couple yamahas.
Like my ranch buddy said, after a year of using it every day the polaris ranger was ready to be traded in or stick a bunch of money into it. Where the can am after the same use after a year is allot like the day you bought it, just doesn't wear out near as fast. Now they trade those in every other year.
If you don't go with an enclosed cab you can save allot of money that's for sure. My brothers are HARD on stuff and that Honda utv just keeps goin and goin.

Attachments

20210211_032639.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can am also keep you warm while they burn to the ground. They had recalls for that reason.

1676565489829.png

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like everything else, it is how you use it and how you service it most of the time.
Been using Polaris since the late 60's, first with snowmobiles, then atv's and now SxS's. Only problems I have had is the key switch quit working on one ATV and had to replace that and one fuel injection went out. Never broke a belt but did burn one belt one time and that was drivers error and had to go through a wet slough to get some calves out of it.
Never blew a motor or transmission on any of them and some had darn hard uses on the ranch and many miles on them.
Every make and model can have problems and lemons, doesn't matter what brand you get.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
2020-03-07 14.59.39.jpg

Buy without cab and install a DFK. I've never had snow in mine.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a yamaha golf cart gas powered for my garden work and taking the dog for runs, plus gopher trapping. Put all my rakes and hoes where golf bags would be and it works like a charm. Also carry a six ft 2x4 for when I highcenter it while trapping to pry myself off of any high spots I find. LB

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Able to install cab yourself or fairly complicated?
Dandy rig you guys got though.
Did it myself, occasional “hold this in place“ assist from the wife

no drilling - everything clamps

quality components for sure - the hard coating on the clear plastic doors is astoundingly scratch resistant

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in the exact same boat as th OP. Surprised you can't find any with a blown engine or major problems with all the complaints on here. Keep hoping to find a project I can take on.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77