Honda side-by-side with tracks?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
If I ever setup a tracked vehicle it will be a light suv. The cost difference is enormous, especially if you want cab and heater. I'll still have a sled for early/late ice.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
All i know is all 3 of my friends who have bought new machines in the last few years all have upwards of 24k into them one they have everything you listed. Couple were upwards of 28k. One viking and 2 rangers. One of the rangers was a 4 door six seater though.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I ever setup a tracked vehicle it will be a light suv. The cost difference is enormous, especially if you want cab and heater. I'll still have a sled for early/late ice.

You are looking at comparing an old ridden hard and put away wet SUV vs a new UTV. You need to compare new vs new and used vs used for fair comparison. A new light SUV with tracks will run you 40 grand.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought my UTV and accessories new and put it all together for about 14-14.5k. That was a couple years ago and I also know how to shop, though.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Honda 700 is "free". I'd need to buy what it takes to make it an ice fishing machine.... and enclosed trailer.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are looking at comparing an old ridden hard and put away wet SUV vs a new UTV. You need to compare new vs new and used vs used for fair comparison. A new light SUV with tracks will run you 40 grand.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought my UTV and accessories new and put it all together for about 14-14.5k. That was a couple years ago and I also know how to shop, though.

This... I think so many hear and see all these new and used rigs with $25k to $30k price tags on them and don't look much past that. They accept that price as it is what it is. Do some digging and shopping and most of all be patient. Yeah if you walk into the showroom and want to walk away with a rig you can use the next day you are going to pay for it.

For example, look at the prices on the options on the Polaris website. You want hard doors in camo they cost $3200, Hard doors with power window $2600, black hard doors with fixed window $1800. Is the upgrade to Camo and hinged window worth $1400 to you?

The prices on the 2016 carry over rangers are something worth looking into right now. Mattracks is running 20% sale right now. There are aftermarket heaters priced half of what Polaris wants (no idea on how they compare). After market winches are half of what they charge from the factory and in many cases the same or better quality.

A larger dealer down south has a couple 2016 Ranger XP 900 for $9,999. No cab, no power steering, boring sage green or red, no heat...... but it will haul, tow, get you the same places, and have the same warranty as the camo version some guy bought off the showroom for $16,000 6 months ago.

Last edited:

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Honda 700 is "free". I'd need to buy what it takes to make it an ice fishing machine.... and enclosed trailer.

you are planning on fitting a tracked sxs in an enclosed trailer? Going to have to be a big/tall trailer.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn, the cost to fish in some of these outfits is crazy. I know the experience of getting out and fishing is priceless, but has anybody put a pencil to exactly how much their filet o fish is setting them back each season? I know, I know..STFU.. haha Sucks getting old trying to bring up the logic card.
Wonder how we ever caught fish with a stick pole with a pick on the end.;:;popcorn

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

Our annual trip to the big windy we go with a guy out of the Hillsboro area, he has a tracked 6 seater, heated cab, all the bells and whistles. He fit it in his 24ft enclosed with the tracks, but a bigger fella like me would really struggle getting in and out of it, as he had a very narrow passageway for the tracks, and almost as narrow for himself, but it worked.
Damn nice setup.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
No. Thoight i remember u saying u got one in the last year or so. Mustve beet just the atv.

Livetohuntandfish

Established Member
Damn, the cost to fish in some of these outfits is crazy. I know the experience of getting out and fishing is priceless, but has anybody put a pencil to exactly how much their filet o fish is setting them back each season? I know, I know..STFU.. haha Sucks getting old trying to bring up the logic card.
Wonder how we ever caught fish with a stick pole with a pick on the end.;:;popcorn

Haha I have and it is crazy. Bought a 825i to pull my ice castle. Never used it because the hitch weight alone is to much for the thing. Do really love the utv tho. Lots of space and great for hunting. Have around 20,000 miles on it, bout 4 years old and I probably won't look for a new one until 40,000

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ad_164586P_0.jpg

Only 25K on Walleye Central.

f7_2003_97x

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0455.jpg
Here's mine. I now have the back panel on it and the soft doors. Next year the tracks and probably upgrade to the hard doors. I have about $19k into it already. Going with the camoplast tracks. About $4200. Another $2k for doors. And then the heater. When does it end?

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
First thing is don't go with mattracks. I've ridden many hours next to those. They're probably the most durable but they get stuck way easier than camoplast. Camoplasts last well and are very easy to work on if needed. I've don't very little to any I've had but there's not much to them for moving parts.

As far as machine I think the Honda's are solid. Should have plenty of power to get the job done. Cabs are nice to have. I don't think those particular machines have the best cab ever made, but surely it would be more comfortable than riding open cab.

I don't think no power steering is a deal breaker either. Try it without. It's not going to be that miserable.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a 2014 Polaris ranger 900xp with hard cab, heater, and Polaris tracks. Just changed the belt today at 12k miles. Burned it a little in deep snow a couple of times and figured I'd better change it before it left me sit. I think Polaris has one of the better cab systems but it does get a little drafty when its -20 and you run full speed down the road into the wind, but still warm enough to stay comfortable. They do sell foam winter kits to plug all the draft holes but I don't feel its that big of an issue. Curtis makes cabs for just about any brand, I just don't like the little slider side windows vs the electric ones on the Polaris that roll down all the way. My other complaint with the Polaris is there all wheel drive crap. The front wheels only pull if the back ones spin. That's not a problem when your tracked but on wheels it kinda sucks. Would rather they had a normal 4x4 with diff lock.

Hole hopping out of a ranger looking for fish is pretty sweet this year. Drive where ever you want, jump out, punch a hole, drop the flasher, fish for a minute or two, and off to the next spot if no takers.

I'd thought about getting a jeep and putting tracks on as I felt it would be more durable and maybe a more comfortable cab. What kept me from doing it other than money, was that I was worried about the heavier jeep falling through deep drifts and getting hung up as I've seen a dodge Dakota with tracks get stuck in a road ditch of snow. Also Jeeps and Suvs with tracks are quite tall. It looks like quite a hop to get in and out. That doesn't look like a lot of fun if your moving around looking for fish a lot. Even a Ranger with tracks is high enough its a little hop to get in but not bad. Its when you get out in deep snow and sink to your ass that getting back in can be a challenge.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator

- - - Updated - - -

That's how to do it.

My uncle setup a Geo Tracker with tracks for under $5,000. He is like you, and knows how to shop, and put the setup together.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 213
  • This month: 179
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 63