House Bill 1151- Prohibiting baiting bans

bigsky2

After reading through this thread, I've come to the conclusion that there must be a lot of master baiters in North Dakota.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member

Deer culling underway to 'slow the spread' of chronic wasting disease in Missouri​

Sara Karnes, Springfield News-Leader
Sat, February 4, 2023 at 5:30 AM CST

Targeted culling of Missouri deer is underway in areas where new cases of chronic wasting disease were found following the latest deer harvests.
The deer-hunting season wrapped up Jan. 15 with preliminary reporting from Missouri Department of Conservation showing a total of 299,721 deer killed.
Chronic wasting disease is a deadly, infectious disease in deer and other cervids. The disease eventually kills all animals it infects. The disease spreads through improper disposal of deer carcasses and through the environment where a deer comes into contact with infectious material from another deer.

Targeted culling within two miles of where the disease has been detected is conducted from Jan. 16 to March 15. MDC's Cervid Program Supervisor Jason Isabelle told the News-Leader earlier this week that around 29,400 samples with roughly 830 more to go have been tested this year, and, so far, 74 came back positive from 21 counties in Missouri.

The targeted culling is done with landowners' permission either by themselves or by MDC staff. Some methods that are prohibited during deer-hunting season, including shooting over bait and shooting at night, are allowed during the targeted culling, Isabelle said. "Those methods allow for our culling efforts to be as effective and as efficient as possible."

Deer that are culled are tested for the disease. If the wasting disease is not detected in the culled deer, the landowner has the first opportunity to keep the deer meat themselves or donate it to Share the Harvest. Positive deer are disposed of, Isabelle said.

This past year, 3,000 deer were culled and 32 samples tested positive, with 86 total detected statewide.

The previous three years saw:

• 21 CWD-positive out of 2,396 deer culled with 46 total detected statewide in 2019;
  • 18 CWD-positive out of 2,692 deer culled with 44 total detected statewide in 2020;
  • 32 CWD-positive out of 3,072 deer culled with 86 total detected statewide in 2021.
"This is a disease management tool," Isabelle explained. "Targeted culling is a proven method of slowing the spread of CWD."

More:Missouri deer hunters weigh in on efforts to curb spread of chronic wasting disease

With targeted culling in those zones, fewer deer are interacting that may be infected with the disease and reducing the density of the population helps minimize the spread, he said.

There's no cure for chronic wasting disease. And Isabelle said that, since people may not see many emaciated deer, they may think there's nothing to worry about.

"CWD has an extended incubation period in the deer, so if a deer has CWD, it's typically going to be a year-and-a-half to two years where it has the disease before it's going to start to show clinical symptoms," Isabelle said.

More often, as the deer's brain starts deteriorating because of the disease, it may start wandering more, making it vulnerable to hunters, being hit by vehicles or killed by predators, which "elevates their mortality rate," Isabelle said.

"Most of the deer that die with CWD are not dying of the actual disease itself because it predisposes them to die from other causes," Isabelle said. "If a deer happens to live long enough and nothing else kills the deer, then by the time it gets in the clinical stages, it starts to become emaciated (and) it starts with excessive salivation. It has its head lowered; its ears are lowered. It's wasting away."

This article originally appeared on Springfield News-Leader: Deer culling underway in effort to 'slow the spread' of CWD

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Around 1900 populations of deer elk bison were about wiped out. Ranchers protected the last Bison along the Musselshell's river in Montana. People shot everything to eat instead of Betsy the milk cow.

The North American Wildlife Conservation Model was created by likeminded sportsmen and landowners to create agencies and wildlife came back.

In the late 90's a fellow from communist East Germany and a Canadian wrote a paper called North American Model of Wildlife Conservation. Notice the play on words. They called it the democracy of hunting. Now there is an oxymoron, well...I digress, it was called the German Democratic Republic.

In tikka's article above they want the landowners to grant permission for sharpshooters to kill the deer.
It's goofy, we have come full circle, it's going to be up to sportsmen and landowners to save the deer.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hope the hundreds of deer i have at my plots stay within the two-mile radius of my plots as they are clean. i am sure they will.
It's just i have plots more than two miles apart and one was 8 miles and damn you know the same deer or more would be at all the plots.

Maybe those deer down there do not travel or at least not during the rut.
I am sure if one kills enough deer there may be less deer numbers with CWD, you think. Not sure if the percentage will change.

I think this was tried in Wisconsin. Shot all the deer, bug lives in soil and a new batch of deer moved in. db

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
IMHO this is no different than letting the balloon fly across and then telling people after some Montana person spotted it. And now some say they knew the second it left China. As they say one cannot make this up but i think maybe there are two on here who can. db

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The idea of culling to slow the spread is beyond fucking ridiculous when the facts say once its in an area it can stay in the soil for decades. WTF sense does it make to eliminate the entire population? Let nature handle it and there will be natural resistance in time. These biologists don't even have common sense now days!

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
The idea of culling to slow the spread is beyond fucking ridiculous when the facts say once its in an area it can stay in the soil for decades. WTF sense does it make to eliminate the entire population? Let nature handle it and there will be natural resistance in time. These biologists don't even have common sense now days!
Biology 101 on literally the first day of class: The theory of evolution including a species ability to evolve and adapt to environmental factors. This is literally beginner level biology stuff. Eradicating herds of deer that might be infected with a long-term disease is somehow considered good practice? This disgusting approach only reduces a species ability to naturally develop generational resistance or immunity. But what would I know, I only took some of the same biology classes that the "professionals" took in high school and college.

A couple of years ago I asked one of the GnF big game biologists if he believed in the theory of evolution regarding CWD and he said, "not in this case, it's different". Yup he is right, what is different is that agents go out and snipe entire herds from the landscape and have yet to prove that this is an effective tool for controlling or eliminating the disease, especially when studies show a prion can remain active in the soil for years and can easily infect new deer repopulating an area after coming into contact with contaminated soil. Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

But they read a few books, have a degree and subscribe to a document created by 30 people (AFWA) that tells them what the "best practices" are, so they are the "professionals". Think about that...that would be like subscribing to a climate change document created by only 30 people and using its guidelines as gospel for how we should manage carbon emissions, farming practices, energy production, etc.

Before any of you point it out, I need to voice the disclaimer that I'm just an arm-chair biologist and the stuff I learned in school doesn't matter as it applies to CWD. I should just trust the "professionals" because they have done such a wonderful job at managing this disease so far :cautious:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
The North American Wildlife Conservation Model was created by likeminded sportsmen and landowners to create agencies and wildlife came back.
Sportsmen yes, but do you have a reference where landowners were involved in designing the strategy?

In the late 90's a fellow from communist East Germany and a Canadian wrote a paper called North American Model of Wildlife Conservation. Notice the play on words.

I think they simply discussed what American sportsmen had implemented. You cant take credit and demonize the same thing. You have a wild hatred for the wildlife management model. Is it because wildlife belongs to all of us, and not only landowning outfitters? Every time a hunter takes an animal on their own some people see a dollar sliding away that they think should have been their dollar.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sportsmen yes, but do you have a reference where landowners were involved in designing the strategy?
Go do your own homework.

I think they simply discussed what American sportsmen had implemented. You cant take credit and demonize the same thing. You have a wild hatred for the wildlife management model. Is it because wildlife belongs to all of us, and not only landowning outfitters? Every time a hunter takes an animal on their own some people see a dollar sliding away that they think should have been their dollar.
If you have a tag, come help yourself to all the public deer and elk on my property. I will even help you load it.
1675722470502.jpeg

Attachments

1675722390893.jpeg

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just listened to the Hunt Talk podcast regarding this bill in ND and CWD in general. Worth the listen regardless of what side you’re on.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
You talking about this one?

Below is a podcast with Randy Newberg, Dr. Charlie Bahnson DVM NDGF and Bryan Richards USGS:

https://www.stitcher.com/show/hunt-...nservation/episode/north-dakota-cwd-211080925

At thirty-four minutes:

No. 1 Carcass movement
No. 2 Targeted culling
No. 3 Baiting restrictions
No. 4 Sharpshooting
Yes, thats the one. They talk about all the items you list, but saying they suggest it happens everywhere is not correct. Options that could be used, sure. I thought the NDGF employee in particular was reasonable and understanding. He gets both sides, but believes baiting if removed will help. Thats his opinion. The guy from the USGS was a littke stronger in his thoughts, but still i believe he is doing what he thinks is best for the resource.

I do not have a dig in the ND fight, but it was an educational podcast for me to help understand the game management agency side of things. I don't agree with it all by any means, but did learn more about the issue. Worth the listen i still say.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Headed for the Senate. Some of the needless amendments are going to be stripped off.

Clean Bill:

The Department shall not issue rules or adopt a policy or practice prohibiting the baiting of deer for lawful hunting on private property.
Strike deer insert "big game species". In Section 20 of the ND Century Code, Elk Moose Deer are defined as "big game species."

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Strike deer insert "big game species". In Section 20 of the ND Century Code, Elk Moose Deer are defined as "big game species."
Interesting take on the semantics of writing a law as by definition, deer includes moose, elk, white-tail, and mule deer (and several other species not found in ND).

Which brings up the interesting twist here, would the baiting of pronghorn be allowed?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62