How to Spool New Line

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is this how you guys do it? I've had my nightmares with line twist.....guilty of "pencil method" and all the sins.....

Interested to hear your method.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pencil--baitcaster--Horny busty assistant pointing label at me for spinning. Haven't yet watched the vid.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yay ME!! I learned nothing!!! IMO anything except straight braid is superfluous. Conversely, backing is a time/money saver. I have a reel with backing from 1998 when it was still a flat weave.

FUN TIP: After splicing/trimming; superglue (tiny drop) the knot and roll between fingers to eliminate/streamline the tag ends. I guess don't try this with FlexSeal superglue as one could lose flesh instead of partial fingerprints according to the loud assed commercials.

BTW: All my braid splices are double Palomar. This requires removing the reel/BC or spool during the first beer. Dooming a great fish due to knot slip or no wire with a mouthful of lure is tantamount to wounding and not recovering an animal. Negative experiences gave me the conclusion the only logical knot for braid is the Palomar. A "double" is likely unnecessary and results with 12in tag ends IME joining lines.

This "Palomar Splicing" concept came to me in a dream from a pyramid architect :p

Another tip about straight braid:

1694143403678.png

1694140810212.png

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
When was a kid my dad used to tie a swivel on the "dumb" end of the line and hand it to me and tell me to,run out line to the high line pole, then he would reel me back in and I was suppose to hold resistance. ( but never without a good fight and acting like a fish.) I did it with my kids and my grandkids on their rods. It takes the boredom out of the task . You gotta spit on the swivel so it turns easy the old man used to say.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
When was a kid my dad used to tie a swivel on the "dumb" end of the line and hand it to me and tell me to,run out line to the high line pole, then he would reel me back in and I was suppose to hold resistance. ( but never without a good fight and acting like a fish.) I did it with my kids and my grandkids on their rods. It takes the boredom out of the task . You gotta spit on the swivel so it turns easy the old man used to say.
In reverse: Once the boy could cast I demonstrated a "strike feel" for the basic lures; taught him how to hookset/"fight"me with proper use of drag. My son will not reel against a slipping drag like some of these cretins. He was throwing Husky Jerks in the Tailrace with a 7ft BC outfit when he was eight.

That is all.

Last edited:

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
After figure out which side of spool up, throw spool on carpet floor and throw a heavy towel over line, provides just enough tension for spooling. Warning: fireline/power pro will leave a black streak so don't use a good white towel, ask me how I know this :unsure:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84