Huk rain gear

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Huk Jacket and Bibs. I bought them from Scheels about a month ago. Took them to Alaska for a 2 week trip and it worked way better than expected. I purchased it for the light drizzle that SE Alaska is known for and it out performed anything I have tried before. The jacket and bibs fit well and are comfortable. I also have Helly Hanson and Grundens gear as a back up and did not need them at all. I believe the $450 I spent was well worth it. I will let you know how it holds up over the next year.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
ah huka huka huka huka --- a couple baby booms left UA and came out with another overpriced hyped up brand made in china. Its amazing what marketing does. Marketing works and as i can see the $$$ rolling in this thread

Best - grundens -- Best in the summer -- bimini top

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am not a ua fan but the owner is 43 so i bet this is one you cant blame on baby boomers

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
them damn boomers taught em well!!! to be honest though -my hat goes off to anybody that starts a business and it takes off. Marketing is the key with people. I will say i burnt the hell out of my self last week -- I put one of those shirts it didnt bother me in the water - plus waves/current were strong and if you accidently bumped the coral you didnt feel it.

Muzzytipped

Founding Member
Founding Member
Frabill FXE Storm Suit

https://www.amazon.com/Frabill-FSJ111-Stormsuit-Jacket/dp/B0057CX1QQ

Read up on the reviews of this. I have it and never let me down.
They have the bibs also.

Make sure you are looking for the FXE branded stuff. A little older now but still available on Ebay and other sites.

415XmxNrQFL.jpg

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had cheap stuff and now I've had more expensive stuff. The more expensive stuff not only fits better, but it stays waterproof for much longer. Unless you've had both, your opinion is null and void.
My rain gear retails for $189 for the bibs and $189 for the parka. So it's far from cheap. I just happened to get em on clearance for $79 lol. Second set anyway. First set lasted 15 years and I used them all the time. especially the bibs. Cabelas brand signature series rainwear. They've been all I could ask for. I've had cheap shit and it's not worth the packaging it comes in.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's a reason the vast majority of River guides in AK are using Simms products. They are worth the money you pay for them. Once you hit the ocean charters, all the captains and deck hands are using Helly Hansen. They are also worth their weight in gold. The difference is the one is breathable and one is not. HH you can get fish slim/guts all over, spray off with the hose and you're good. Simms will take a little of a wash to get it out of the fabric.

My Dad is one to remind me how great/waterproof his Helly Hansen suit is. Ask him how great it is in the summer time in ND when you have to wear a rubber suit for a few hours...

I like my Simms. They're out of MT and they started with Waders for the fly fishermen and worked up from there. No, their stuff isn't cheap but it is great quality. Plus, fortunately I don't fish to try and save money!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My rain gear retails for $189 for the bibs and $189 for the parka. So it's far from cheap. I just happened to get em on clearance for $79 lol. Second set anyway. First set lasted 15 years and I used them all the time. especially the bibs. Cabelas brand signature series rainwear. They've been all I could ask for. I've had cheap shit and it's not worth the packaging it comes in.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Well, you're arguing against buying expensive stuff because yours was cheap and it works for you. In reality, you bought expensive stuff but on sale. For what its worth, I got my simms challenger suit for under $300. It's who you know....

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought the Huk all weather bibs on sale from scheels awhile back, while I have not worn them in the rain yet, I do appreciate the fit and feel. I am 6'2" and 300lbs. The 2xl bibs fit loose but not baggy and flex in all the right places. I should have bought the coat at that time, but assumed I would see them on sale again. They haven't. So with tournament season coming up, I ordered the Striker Elements (striker ice) jacket from Reeds. Had I known the quality in person, I may have purchased those bibs as well. The coat is phenomenal and only $89.

I have made the switch from sunscreen to performance UV shirts and haven't looked back. The Huk shirts so far out of the 3 or 4 brands I have tried, by far have the best fit and cooling properties.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy them, but there are other options out there.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
just going to throw my 2c in... I run striker jacket and bibs in the winter, spring and fall... IMO best purchase I have made (got them because I had lost 100lbs and no longer had the walrus blubber to keep me warm and cozy in a sweat shirt and jeans) no longer get wet and stay warm all day and one of my favorite parts are the silly little rags on the pockets for the bibs, I use them all the time.
As far as summer and HUK... i have 5 shirts and 2 gators and the only thing i put sun screen on is my calves and nose... everyone asks me if i am hot and i am just as cool as no shirt.
I also have some super light weight scheels rain gear (still paid $200 for the jacket and pants on sale, good for packability) if I find the HUK rain gear on sale I would jump all over it like a fat kid on a twinkie because from what I found is the huk quality is far superior to the scheels stuff I currently have and it would fill a gap in my current gear (spring/fall and very wet)

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
As far as summer and HUK... i have 5 shirts and 2 gators and the only thing i put sun screen on is my calves and nose... everyone asks me if i am hot and i am just as cool as no shirt.

I do the same thing, except most of my stuff is Columbia PFG, but same concept. When its real hot out, I bring a spray bottle with some nice clean water in it, spray down those shirts and gators a bit and you'll be real cool, and no having to oil yourself up with a shitload of sunscreen. I wear my long sleeve PFG shirts all summer long because they're comfortable as hell, and people look at me like I'm crazy.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
See, you guys should have jumped on the DH Customs shirts I had for sale. I use them all the time. Even when were just on the river for a sandbar day.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88