Hungarians

Tinesdown

Established Member
I got a couple huns on opening weekend that were just barely dry from having hatched. But, a buddy flushed the flock and those were the only 2 that flew close enough.

Prior to pheasant season, my shotguns have Cyl chokes and I shoot 20Ga AA/Fiocchi target loads in 8's or occasionally 7.5's.

When pheasant season opens, it's still a 20ga, but, I swap over to 1oz #5's and IC chokes. It's fairly rare that I move to a 12Ga before Thanksgiving. Once I do move to a 12 it's still an IC choke but 1 3/8Oz of 4's or 5's.
Yeah huns are a bird that u never seem to have the right load in have killed em with trap shells but prolly was lucky your better off using at the very least 6 ,5 with 1/4 ounce loads. Suckers are very fast an always kick in a spread out flock imo.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The trick with Huns is to pick one out of the covey.

I never do, I ALWAYS flock shoot at least the first shot! lol

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah huns are a bird that u never seem to have the right load in have killed em with trap shells but prolly was lucky your better off using at the very least 6 ,5 with 1/4 ounce loads. Suckers are very fast an always kick in a spread out flock imo.
Mid-80’s there were Huns all over. Dad would drive me around, flush the birds off the road, then turn the dog loose on them whenever they landed. In short I got tons of practice and finally learned to pick out a bird. I wasted a LOT of shells “flock shooting”.

Early season both grouse and partridge shooting seems to be fairly short range for me. Grouse in particular also aren’t all that hard to get on the ground, that’s why I use target loads prior to pheasant opener.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 285
  • This month: 166
  • This month: 152
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71