Hunting the roost

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Perhaps a touchy topic . . .

My duck hunting days are far and few in between now but I have some questions for you guys about what you think about "hunting the roost". To slightly digress, 10 years ago or so I did a January hunt in coastal Texas. We hunted on a large ranch that had guides available. They allowed us to hunt most any water areas we could find on their properties except for a large section which was a "sanctuary" that they did not even go near or hunt on until the last weekend of the season.

Some hunters look poorly upon others who hunt the roost - claiming it drives the ducks out of the area.

My questions for you guys are:
1) If waterfowl use a pond/water for mid day loafing does that constitute roost water?
2) Are people against "hunting the roost" really in fact against hunting any water?
3) While most diver ducks are usually found (in shooting range) on or overhead of bodies of water, are the "against hunting the roost people" only targeting divers out in fields?
4) Is the "against hunting the roost crowd" also against pheasant hunters pushing through cattail sloughs that a waterfowl hunter would say is right next to a known waterfowl roosting area. And I am not saying that the pheasant hunters are shooting at the waterfowl.

I am just curious what the group that is against hunting the roost are really against. Also thinking that the regulations don't say anything about where and when (meaning within shooting hours) you can hunt water while waterfowl hunting - (understanding that of course there are special situations - ie closeness to habitable buildings, hunting reserves, etc. when you can't hunt certain waters).

Thanks guys.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe
No
Divers also have a roost lake and a lake they go feed on so I would hunt the feeder lake so to have more days of hunting and they don’t seam near as sensitive as puddle ducks.
4. Pheasant hunters are not hunting before sunrise and here they are not hunting before 10 and are done at sunset. Even pushing cattails they are moving on so the ducks will come back with no pressure put on them.

The later the season the more concentrated birds become I feel roost busting becomes more problematic. Now if it’s the last night before all the water is froze and birds are going to push out give em hell but if that’s the case find the field they feeding in.

Common sense plays into it big time.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
When we did a lot of duck hunting we never hunted the actual roost. Surrounding waters, absolutely. Tried to get enough people to sit between sloughs and pass shoot but that was when there was many many more people hunting which would keep the birds moving.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
NEVER hunt the roost, even if you’re not sure leave it alone. Roosts that are left alone all season will continue to produce hunts in the surrounding area all season. On top of that having birds in an area will draw more migrating birds to the area. If you want to blow birds out to the next county or township be my guest but the overall consensus is to not hunt any larger roost waters unless you’re a duschbag or from MN.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also im talking the bigger waters. There’s nothing wrong with hitting up the smaller potholes and feeding waters or transition waters. But even if you suspect good numbers of birds may be using it as a roost just leave it alone

Coyote_guy

I'd never hunt a big roost ( thousands of birds) but I'll damn sure be hunting a small one if it's all I have for the morning.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
ill pass shoot the roost and hunt small slews around it but in reality, do you know any roosts that aren't the posted these days.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 455
  • This month: 198
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 151
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71