Ice augers

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am still using the same and first and only auger I actually bought back in 1988 at this time, only auger I have ever had, a few times I wish it would crap out but until it does I will stick with it, hasn't let me down yet. I believe it is a Eskimo 30, every fall I go to start it and think will it go, and by the 3rd pull it takes off. Someday it will be replaced but not forgotten. dukgnfsn

Mizzou21

I purchased a StrikeMaster 40V lithium 10 inch last week that was hidden behind other boxes in Dickinson Runnings. Love it! Bought it based on recommendations from 3 friends and finally got to put my hands on one a few weeks ago and was totally impressed. I also purchased the k drill/Milwaukee fuel combo at the beginning of the season and love that as well, but have noticed once the ice got past 20 inches it didn't do the job as well as the strikemaster lithium. I could drill 5-6 holes, but then the drill would get a bit warm and also stop during the process of drilling at times. The kdrill combo for early and late ice will be hard to beat due to the portability and easy to throw in any sled or car, etc. I also have a 10 inch Eskimo HC 40 propane that is a rock solid for reliability, and is my go to in Winnipeg as I know it will start and outperform most anything i have ever used up there. I am anxious to try the new StrikeMaster Lithium up there next week on a full day of running and gunning. Will keep you all posted on its performance.

Founding Member
Founding Member
FB_IMG_1515704818690.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Gave away my Jiffy Model 30 to my brother-in-law. Won in a raffle in 02 and had drilled a total of 16 holes but well maintained. He loves it. Now I am his favorite bro-in-law but then again his only one.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That trophy strike looks like a sweet package! Have to let us know how it is!

- - - Updated - - -

Any reasons for going with that Trophy Strike over a Strikemaster or Kdrill setup?

Jm1986

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an 8 in. Eskimo shark. I recently just started putting pre-mixed VP fuel in it. Makes a noticeable power difference. I have a hard time buying anything else when mine works this good.
inused to have a jiffy that would work awesome.... when I could get it to start. When it was really cold out I would have to take it in my pickup and warm it up. If jiffy made an auger that started as good as my Eskimo I think I would get another. Never have to many augers

Last edited:

ELLS

Founding Member
Founding Member
5D9306BE-A8BC-4E9B-B667-08C25EA737C4.jpgStrikeMaster Honda 10”. Does help to have a cheering section. I’d like a propane but as an engineer, take care of your things and you’ll have a lot less to worry about.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ion 40v, but damn dirty ice got me again today. Barely could get my 3rd hole. Shaving blades are terrible for that. 3 yrs old and battery was acting up, test light showed 2 green yet. But wouldn't hardly operate after blade change. Battery was warm. Need new already ?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
as an engineer, take care of your things and you’ll have a lot less to worry about.

Or buy an early 80s jiffy and slam it around all you want :cool: I'll vouch for the premixed fuel , After 35 years of 3 pulls , First one nothing , Second pull fire and die then starting on the 3rd pull, The premix makes it start and run usually on the first pull. If anyone has their recipe please post. I did mix up a gallon of AV gas but used cheap oil with it , Didn't seem to change much.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased a StrikeMaster 40V lithium 10 inch.
I also purchased the k drill/Milwaukee fuel combo.
I also have a 10 inch Eskimo HC 40 propane.
I am anxious to try the new StrikeMaster Lithium.

Goodness, that's a lot of augers. No gasser? This guy oughta be able to provide an educated recommendation for us all.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
1E64399A-BE4E-4E21-9E8E-A48EA77D14B6.jpgStrikeMaster Honda 10”. Does help to have a cheering section. I’d like a propane but as an engineer, take care of your things and you’ll have a lot less to worry about.
They teach you that in Civil engineering school???

Mizzou21

I would be happy to Sluggo, let me know what questions you have. Drilled about 15 holes last night with the StrikeMaster Lithium 10 inch at Crimmins and it cut awesome. Had the extension on it getting ready for Winnipeg on Thursday and it worked with ease. After drilling the 15 or so consecutive holes I pushed the battery bar indicator and it still showed 3 bars. I have a friend that used the same auger at Winnipeg last weekend and said he was able to cut about 25 holes a day on one battery, but he always kept it warm and had a spare. Also have a guide friend up there who has been running with the 8 inch lithium, all day on one battery, so far so good. I have not had a gas auger for years, been very successful with the Eskimo propanes as long as the bottle is kept warm. This is the first season with kdrill/Milwaukee and the lithium. My personal best luck with k drill was early and less than 20 inches of ice, but with the first 2 trials of the lithium, I will be using that late season and lots of ice no question. More than likely go back to kdrill late ice or if i am short on space and need to throw the k drill combo in the back of the work car:). Will let all you guys know my personal experience with lithium after 3.5 days on Winnipeg this week.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
8" StrikeMaster Lazer Mag. Starts and runs good, but would like to upgrade to the StrikeMaster 40v electric sometime in the near future. Mainly to avoid mixing gas and stinking up the fish house.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
-15 below Sat morning and 3 pulls and 30sec of warm up and the old Model 30 ran just fine. The K-drill setup is still on my list for my majority work, especially earlier in the year

livininavandownbytheriver

Founding Member
Founding Member
The jiffy pro4 lite is the worst auger ever made. period. end of story. Unless of course you want an unreliable auger that wont start, and an owners manual that the Jiffy customer service said was a "Typo" which lead to a very expensive repair shop trip. Seriously, I will never buy a jiffy product ever again.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33