Ice augers

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
All the augers seam to have strong and weak points. I run the Honda lazer 8" and have been happy with it. I'm on my 4th year with my original set of blades and they are still going strong. Yes you have to be careful for dirty ice and i do have the chipper flighting but rarely use it. I think this auger is the best non-electric on the market, its light 23#, reliable, no mixing gas, and cuts great.

I have been considering a k-drill/milwaukee for early ice and to attach kdrill to my Honda for dirty ice. I think the combination of Honda/lazer/kdrill/millwaukee would cover all scenarios perfectly and they are interchangeable for what you need.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
they fit on the lazer auger??

No, but with your ingenuity you can figure out a way to attached the Eskimo flighting to a Strikemaster power head. There is at least one guide on Winnipeg that runs this combo. Strikemaster has the best engines, Eskimo has the best blades, jiffy belongs in the trash heap.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I disagree. Hit sand or dirt with Eskimo blades and might as well grab an ice pick and start chipping away.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
IME, SM lazer blades are worse.

- - - Updated - - -

I just replaced a banged up pair of Eskimo's. They would still cut ice. If they were SM lazer's..........no way.

Okay, fair enough! But I agree with guy. Shaver blades can go pound sand... oh wait haha

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got the old SM lithium with a chipper and it does just fine. Fine for early ice but battery life isn't so long.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Explain this please

derp

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you are being obtuse on purpose but if'n yer not

there's a reason augers (earth and ice) have handles where they do - equidistant to the rotation with at least a foot of lever arm.

And NOT one pistol grip and a motorcycle style handlebar at varying distances from rotation - like a Milwaukee drill

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i guess guy explained it in scientific terms. but, the adapter plate gives you two places to hold on to further out from the center of the auger where all of the torque is generated. it takes significant strain off of your drill and your limbs when that SOB grabs hold. i tore the handle right off my k-drill within a few weeks when it grabbed after a hole full of slush filled with water. also tore my right elbow (the trigger holding hand/elbow) up. still isn't completely healed to this day (1 year later). the auger plate makes it a completely different animal.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ion blades are garbage if you end up drilling in dirty ice. I don't know if there is a perfect auger made I just want something reliable that will start all the time and cut when I need it to. The electrics are nice if a guy has a wheel house, but there is know way I would only have an electric auger you need a gas auger for running and gunning. My next auger to try might be the 4 stroke honda

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
seems to me the k-drill chipper with the bigger electrics like the ion, 40 strikemaster and that 120v beast shown earlier would be ideal. the hybrid shaver/chipper on my gas eskimo seemed like a good solution too. question for you guys with strictly shavers: what is the advantage?

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
seems to me the k-drill chipper with the bigger electrics like the ion, 40 strikemaster and that 120v beast shown earlier would be ideal. the hybrid shaver/chipper on my gas eskimo seemed like a good solution too. question for you guys with strictly shavers: what is the advantage?

Easy they are multi taskers. Get up in the morning and give the face a fresh shave then put them on the auger to punch holes to and then that night take them back off to fillet fish:D

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

I use Nils bits and they transmit almost no torque back to the handles. They make the way a Mora cuts look jerky and archaic. Shavers are far more efficient barring dirty ice. I dwell in the east so dirty ice hasn't been an issue.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member

I think the shavers are just overall smoother and faster cutting while actually spinning slower than the chippers and therefore throw no ice.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 17
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7