Ice augers

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
i guess guy explained it in scientific terms. but, the adapter plate gives you two places to hold on to further out from the center of the auger where all of the torque is generated. it takes significant strain off of your drill and your limbs when that SOB grabs hold. i tore the handle right off my k-drill within a few weeks when it grabbed after a hole full of slush filled with water. also tore my right elbow (the trigger holding hand/elbow) up. still isn't completely healed to this day (1 year later). the auger plate makes it a completely different animal.

I haven't had that problem but I get what you're saying. I called the guys at k-drill and they said none of them run the k-drill with a base plate.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
FB_IMG_1518664191799.jpg

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bit the bullet on an ION 2 years ago after owning a jiffy legend for almost 20 years. I have mixed feelings about it. Bought it thinking it was the shiznit, but have already had a bad battery and they are roughly half the price of the auger if you go with the xbattery. They are light but a pain to keep the batteries warm. If you drill on rough or dirty ice, I would carry 2 sets of blades.
I dont think there is a perfect auger out there. Ive thought about ditching the ION and going back to a gas model, but right when I want to pull the trigger I remember that its another thing to fix and maintenance and the ION essentially has none of that.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was thinking the same thing actually. I would never go back. But, a big % of my drilling involves opening old holes in the house where it has a bigger chance of grabbing.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use Nils bits and they transmit almost no torque back to the handles. They make the way a Mora cuts look jerky and archaic. Shavers are far more efficient barring dirty ice. I dwell in the east so dirty ice hasn't been an issue.

my problem is getting lucky and hitting little dribbles of sand/gravel left behind that fell off rigs - as March approaches you'll see deposits left by vehicles all over the place. You don't see them during the earlier season. One hole - hell one inch - is all it takes to render the SM shavers 100% unusable.

I'm done. Especially since you can't find 8" SM blades in Fargo/Moorhead at any store and I think I've called or visited every one of them. And I'm not paying $55-60 for internet blades.

My go-to plan for now:
Milwaukee Fuel with three batteries (I run 6 or 7 Milwaukee tools and needed a hammer drill anyway)
Honda 4 stroke head
6" and 8" k-drill augers

Last edited:

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
My go-to plan for now:
Milwaukee Fuel with three batteries (I run 6 or 7 Milwaukee tools and needed a hammer drill anyway)
Honda 4 stroke head
6" and 8" k-drill augers

I like this plan and have been think of something very similiar does the k drill mount to the honda 4 stroke head with any adapters or adjustments?

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
good for them.

- - - Updated - - -

If they made the actual plate I bet they all would use it.

I bet if they asked the company making the base plate for one, clam would give them free ones for free advertising. I've had and seen gas augers try to rip a guys arm off when hitting the bottom of the ice. How this can happen when the handles are equidistant is beyond me. For now though, I don't have a vagina, but if I decide to go with one, I'll pair it up with the clam base plate. Cheers.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like this plan and have been think of something very similiar does the k drill mount to the honda 4 stroke head with any adapters or adjustments?

if you slide the foam float down you'll see the collar that supposedly fits the SM head. I haven't tried it yet.

I'm still considering a Kwik Konnect of some sort to make it fast/easy. Going to borrow one from a friend here in town. When he uses it his Digger Carrier clamp no longer fits - so it's not currently in use.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet if they asked the company making the base plate for one, clam would give them free ones for free advertising. I've had and seen gas augers try to rip a guys arm off when hitting the bottom of the ice. How this can happen when the handles are equidistant is beyond me. For now though, I don't have a vagina, but if I decide to go with one, I'll pair it up with the clam base plate. Cheers.

ha ha - really? aren't you something

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you slide the foam float down you'll see the collar that supposedly fits the SM head. I haven't tried it yet.

I'm still considering a Kwik Konnect of some sort to make it fast/easy. Going to borrow one from a friend here in town. When he uses it his Digger Carrier clamp no longer fits - so it's not currently in use.

- - - Updated - - -

ha ha - really? aren't you something

I hope I'm keeping you entertained on a thursday! Haha

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey guy keep us posted I've been thinking about buy the 4 stroke honda if I can find a good deal with the end of year ice fishing sales.

KBV

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kdrill bolts straight on to the Hondalite with no extension or adapter needed. It’s the ticket if you are worried about dirty ice.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why do guys want to put a k-drill on a gas power head? Defeats the light weight idea of a k-drill. Not to mention fucking around with gas again.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why do guys want to put a k-drill on a gas power head? Defeats the light weight idea of a k-drill. Not to mention fucking around with gas again.

backup (leave gasser head in truck unless needed)
deeeeep ice
tons of scouting or large party outing

so... k-drill and Milwaukee mainstay, power head options on occasion as needed

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got 2 batteries and charger in the truck. I'll still be drilling while your back hurts and you need more gas.......just sayin:)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got 2 batteries and charger in the truck. I'll still be drilling while your back hurts and you need more gas.......just sayin:)

I have three batteries and a charger in the truck too

but when the truck is 4 miles away and the ice is rough I'm not feeling like running back there with the snowmobile to charge batteries

I keep the batteries in a cooler but the "battery shuffle" gets old at lowish temps, deep ice, with lots of holes

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
A cooler is the ticket. I have a cheap 5 dollar softsided cooler. Stuff 3 five amp batteries in there along with a body warmer.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33