Ice house skis

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
I have a tracked UTV and pull a 3000lb single axel ice house with skis damn near anywhere and want to upgrade to a 4500lb, tandem axel. The guys in MN that sell skis are telling me that it will be too heavy. I would think that if you bought 4 and welded them together so you had 2 on each side that would work? Lots of smart people on this site, would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Weight of trailer to sq ft of skies, if increasing trailer weight by 1500# and doubling skies you should be ok if utv is big enough to pull the added weight.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I would lean towards listening to them. I think they are trying to save you some headache down the road. Most people would tell you heck yeah no problem, to make a buck.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You're doubling the size of your ski and increasing the weight by a third. I would think you would be OK. Biggest concern for me would be make sure you have a ski on the tongue. To much weight on the ball of your UTV might cause you the most trouble. Pulling the ski in front is way less of a problem on your UTV than the weight on your hitch.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a tracked UTV and pull a 3000lb single axel ice house with skis damn near anywhere and want to upgrade to a 4500lb, tandem axel. The guys in MN that sell skis are telling me that it will be too heavy. I would think that if you bought 4 and welded them together so you had 2 on each side that would work? Lots of smart people on this site, would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

I am interested in your comment about pulling a 3000lb wheel house near anywhere. Have you really had no limitations on access? What lakes do you fish?

This year has to be one of the worst years for access in central ND. Are you saying with your set up you haven't seen any problems?

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Do you have a video of your house pulled on the skis?

I have a skid house, but am really entrigued by the thought of a smaller yeti and the ability to pull it with the skis. I'd really like to try one or see one in action before switching from the skid house though.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a 6 1/2 X 17 foot wheeled fish house. Have never weighed it but it's built on an ice castle frame. Built it trying to keep weight as low as possible but it's still heavy. Have never had a problem pulling it off the lake in March. Pulling it off this week but don't anticipate a problem. Will use a 6-seat Ranger 4 X 4 with tracks. Have use a single seat Ranger in the past with tracks. Never been an issue. Ski's are 14" wide and about 3'long. Place close to the wheel and drive away. They ride up on the snow pretty easy. Pull to where I can get a pickup, back up off the skis, hook up the pickup and drive away. Do use a ski in the front to take weight off the hitch. Front ski has a ball on top and then a tow bar. Then all you are doing is pulling with none of the weight of the tongue on the ATV.

I built mine, or more precisely had a shop class build them for me but they were pretty much copied from a Zachmeier ski. Check their website and they used to have a video showing how they work. Simple and easy and best of all, effective.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve used skis for years on a single axle. They make a ton of difference. I would suggest getting the actual tandem axle skis rather than welding singles together. I’ve seen them work. There’s no doubt you’ll sink more with that weight but it’ll still make a big difference. If you go hydraulic lift you also gain a ton of clearance which also helps a lot with dragging.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
I am interested in your comment about pulling a 3000lb wheel house near anywhere. Have you really had no limitations on access? What lakes do you fish?

This year has to be one of the worst years for access in central ND. Are you saying with your set up you haven't seen any problems?[/QUOTE

The only time I've had problems was when I couldn't get traction going up a boat ramp, otherwise the tracks are pretty impressive. I have not been out lately, but in past years have fished lakes where a pick-up pulling a house would surly have been stuck(dorfman, mudd, Jamestown reservoir, Marvin Miller, Audubon). if I would get stuck pulling with the wheels, then all I did was put on the skis. I don't have a video, so I guess you guys could call bs, that's ok cause when I posted this was prepared to go into turret defilade on the comments, ha ha. I've had this as a draft for awhile and have since sold that house and ordered the tandem, so will have to figure it out or get stuck trying.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
the skis work. friends have retrieved at least 3 in the last few weeks with sxs and skis on the wheels and tongue.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only time I've had problems was when I couldn't get traction going up a boat ramp, otherwise the tracks are pretty impressive. I have not been out lately, but in past years have fished lakes where a pick-up pulling a house would surly have been stuck(dorfman, mudd, Jamestown reservoir, Marvin Miller, Audubon). if I would get stuck pulling with the wheels, then all I did was put on the skis. I don't have a video, so I guess you guys could call bs, that's ok cause when I posted this was prepared to go into turret defilade on the comments, ha ha. I've had this as a draft for awhile and have since sold that house and ordered the tandem, so will have to figure it out or get stuck trying.

I have next to zero experience with this and was genuinely curious and wanting to know what you have seen for performance in these kind of conditions. Thanks

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got an Ice Castle, 16 foot, single axle I think. Took three tracked Ranger's to get it off Saturday with ski's on the house. Conditions down here suck and if you get in slush (which you can't see until you're in it) you can get in some real trouble.

mrperch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got an Ice Castle, 16 foot, single axle I think. Took three tracked Ranger's to get it off Saturday with ski's on the house. Conditions down here suck and if you get in slush (which you can't see until you're in it) you can get in some real trouble.

I have never seen a 16ft double axle, but could be I guess. Pretty easy to figure out 2 tires or 4?

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
Do you have a video of your house pulled on the skis?

I have a skid house, but am really entrigued by the thought of a smaller yeti and the ability to pull it with the skis. I'd really like to try one or see one in action before switching from the skid house though.

Yeti's are light, you put skis on one of them and you will be able to get around no problem. Slush, cat tails and hills would be your only obstacle.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 33