Ion auger, what a piece of sh!t!

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
So hear how great the Ion augers are, so I want one. Dad bought one a little over a year ago no real problems. Did find out the blades don't like dirty ice, no big deal I'll keep my Jiffy for the big lake. Well I bought an Ion thinking I have a great auger for panfish on smaller lakes. I can't get more then 10 to 15 holes out of the blades. This thing is junk, blades run 40 a set. This must be why they changed the flighting. Not happy with Ion and it ruined its second weekend chasing bluegills. Jiffy gets fresh fuel tomorrow as I can't afford anymore blades for that green piece of sh!t!

Anyone else having issues with blades?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the wind we had this year right before freeze up. Every lake I have been to the first 10 inches or so of ice is dirty. I only run chipper blades and I'm going to keep it that way.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't they be sharpened ?

- - - Updated - - -

Watch this

- - - Updated - - -

I can't see vids on here but it should be a buffing wheel w/ buffing compound , Works like a charm .

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ion doesn't make an 8" chipper blade.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear you're having issues. No problems with my ION blades. On my 3rd year with the same set.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are nice and lightweight, them or a k drill are only way to go for ice castle or snobear users who dont want exhaust. However i wouldnt trade the old 9" jiffy for one as side by side yesterday in about 3' of ice, i drilled 6 holes in the same time the 6" ion did 3. Not sure where that old video with the ion drilling holes faster than a jiffy was, but it must have been the cleanest ice in most ideal conditions. You get a couple miles out on the big windy and need to punch holes, give me a gas can and a jiffy over anything battery powered anyday.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the wind we had this year right before freeze up. Every lake I have been to the first 10 inches or so of ice is dirty. I only run chipper blades and I'm going to keep it that way.

I'm on my 3rd set of lazer blades this year. I've been fortunate enough to find a rock in the ice a couple of times.

Dale Kaber

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a blade break....Called the company and they sent me a new one free....also complained to Gander Mtn where i bought it and they gave me a new set also. Drilled 100 holes since...no problems.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Jiffy 8" 3 hp and a Strikemaster 8" 3 hp and a Ion 8 with reverse and find myself using the Ion all the time. It cuts like a hot knife thru butter and its light. If I was cutting 50-100 holes in a day I would use my old Jiffy.

When drilling in the house its the Ion all the way.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wish I was having the luck you guys were with the Ions, mine must be possessed as it just doesn't cut. All hole have been drill in the turtle mountains, so I would assume good clean ice, and I haven't opened an any old holes. There must be a reason why they came out with new flighting. You guys getting 3 years on a set of blades make me jealous as I can't get that out of my jiffy blades. Btw when blades get dull on an ion there's not f'ing way you will drill a hole, it won't happen.

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the main reason why I haven't bought an ion yet. I was going through a shit load of Lazer blades out here and I just bought the 8 inch chipper for the strikemaster. Not nearly as smooth but no more dull blades that won't cut!

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
shit I haven't even sharpened my 8" eskimo blades I got with it and it still chews up ice 3 years ago, chipper blades ftw... I have a spare set of blades that are still in the package

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
UPDATE! Finally got ahold of Ardism, the maker of ion, and they are sending me new flighting. They figure in the manufracturing of the flighting something was out of spec. Won't cover the 2 sets of broke blades and 1 dull set, but at least I got the new style flighting.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a jiffy model 30 in mid 90's I have never changed blades just push harder maybe I will do that next year but auger is already packed away for the year

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would never buy an ION just because your only option is shaver blades. Shaver blades work great in clean ice but if you hit any dirt they are done for. I have the Honda Strike master and also have the 8" chipper for it. I use the chipper on Oahe or usually any time i try a new lake, If i know ice conditions are good then i use the lazer flighting. I think K-drill is the way to go for electric.

hogslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still run my old Jiffy model 31 so I don't know the answer to this question but can you run a k drill on an Ion powerhead? I would think that would be ideal. I know people that run k drills on strikemaster powerheads.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 39
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 14